Diaz v3 - Random Public Beta #3.5! [p.13]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Poll] Diaz version 3?

Postby wildweasel » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:36 pm

I've got some ideas I want to bounce off the populace.

1. Swapping out the magazine system to count individual bullets instead of magazines.
2. As a result of 1, slightly reducing the amount of ammo dropped by enemies.
3. Also as a result of 1, reducing the player's maximum carry amounts for ammo.
4. Removing the in-magazine ammo counter.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby chronoteeth » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm all for it except for the last one. The in-magazine ammo counter always was a nice asthetic touch, and when things got too hectic it was easy to see how much rounds you have left
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby MagSigmaX » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Oh yes please!! A new, more polished version of Diaz would be awesome!!

wildweasel wrote:4. Removing the in-magazine ammo counter.

chronoteeth wrote:The in-magazine ammo counter always was a nice asthetic touch, and when things got too hectic it was easy to see how much rounds you have left

Why don't you add a number at the side of the magazine ammo counter?
MagSigmaX
GREAT SCOTT!! A flying DeLorean?!

Postby Orangewaggs » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:16 pm

wildweasel wrote:I've got some ideas I want to bounce off the populace.

1. Swapping out the magazine system to count individual bullets instead of magazines.
2. As a result of 1, slightly reducing the amount of ammo dropped by enemies.
3. Also as a result of 1, reducing the player's maximum carry amounts for ammo.
4. Removing the in-magazine ammo counter.

Maybe asking for too much but you could do that and keep the old version as two different mods... but again that could be a bit much to ask...
Orangewaggs
Yay!

Postby Cardboard Marty » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Keep the old version as in, the old system or the old version of WWHC-Diaz? Because WWHC-Diaz is always going to be there to play :P
Cardboard Marty
"WHAT??? YOU are telling me the guy just updates when ever he wants?"

Discord: Cardboard Marty#1337
Twitch ID: CarlosAtBV
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby oX0MIlk Man0Xo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:44 pm

So who would be doing the weapon sprites.
Didn't marty kirra work on most of the weapon sprites. for the diaz project.
oX0MIlk Man0Xo

Postby wildweasel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:25 am

oX0MIlk Man0Xo wrote:So who would be doing the weapon sprites.
Didn't marty kirra work on most of the weapon sprites. for the diaz project.

Yes, but for this new version I probably won't need brand new weapon graphics - the majority of the work is cleaning up and organizing the archive (now in PK3 format), fixing outstanding bugs and issues, and perhaps adding/changing some features that haven't been so popular in retrospect.
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Ethril » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:00 am

Nah, leave the reloading system the way it is. So many games these days have it so you can just load bullets in like it's nothing, instead of actually using clips/magazines/WHATEVER. It's nice to have a change of pace forcing you to be efficient with your reloads.
I guess you could make a case for opening them up and manually placing the bullets, but that's just silly. :P
Ethril
F1

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:57 am

Keep it as it is. The magazine system is what make Diaz... well, Diaz! :P

About the in-magazine ammo counter... I'm not quite sure I follow you. Do you mean you're removing the magazine graphics from the alt-screen hud or what. If so, don't. If people get confused about how much ammo they have left in the gun, just add a number to the side. Wait... isn't that actually a quite useful add to the mod? Adding numbers to the alt-hud ammo graphics?
Also, about the alt-hud, I noticed some weapons are missing ammo graphics; the neutraliser, grenades, RPG, and addon weapon Force-A-Nature are all missing weapon graphics, mind adding this in to the third version?
Lastly, is the Psychotic with the PSI Amp getting new sprites? I read somewhere that his sprites was going to be changed sometime ago, and I really hope he is. I just noticed how really, really, really awful his current sprites is.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom

Postby wildweasel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:58 pm

doomhunter_175 wrote:Keep it as it is. The magazine system is what make Diaz... well, Diaz! :P

About the in-magazine ammo counter... I'm not quite sure I follow you. Do you mean you're removing the magazine graphics from the alt-screen hud or what. If so, don't. If people get confused about how much ammo they have left in the gun, just add a number to the side. Wait... isn't that actually a quite useful add to the mod? Adding numbers to the alt-hud ammo graphics?

The HUD is probably going to get redesigned as I don't really like some parts of it. I'd like to reorganize the weapon icons to better represent which keys contain which weapons, fix an outstanding issue with the HUD getting confused about the P50 and Judgment pistols, and also add a selection indicator. The fullscreen HUD will probably get recoded if this feature suggestion gets added.
Also, about the alt-hud, I noticed some weapons are missing ammo graphics; the neutraliser, grenades, RPG, and addon weapon Force-A-Nature are all missing weapon graphics, mind adding this in to the third version?

Yes; I'll probably be retooling the Lance Driver's magazine graphic as well.
Lastly, is the Psychotic with the PSI Amp getting new sprites? I read somewhere that his sprites was going to be changed sometime ago, and I really hope he is. I just noticed how really, really, really awful his current sprites is.

Zero X Diamond has been designing a new test subject for Agent Hernandez which I may pull back to Diaz (along with some of the other redesigned enemies, like Marty's improved SWAT ops (to fix the electrocution palette error) and others.
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Cardboard Marty » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:03 pm

I would love to redesign Diaz/Hernandez for the new version of this project if time permits. I've got a lot stacked up on my plate right now with an upcoming mod but I could always devote some time to Diaz :P
Cardboard Marty
"WHAT??? YOU are telling me the guy just updates when ever he wants?"

Discord: Cardboard Marty#1337
Twitch ID: CarlosAtBV
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Zero X. Diamond » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Oh boy, now there's gonna be a lot of pressure on me to finish the test subject sprites now that it's out in the open...
Zero X. Diamond
Now get your ass out there and save the world!

Postby The_Funktasm » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:59 pm

wildweasel wrote:I've already got a replacement in mind for the Mauser (the new Wolfenstein's Mauser is an amazing sound, and I could just bring back the original RPK's firing sound from the first version of Diaz, as in retrospect I vastly prefer that one anyway). I agree the mini-shotgun needs beefing up anyway, but I'm not sure what to do about the SMG. Perhaps it was a mistake to mix in Doom 3's machinegun bolt sounds with the sounds I chose. I don't opt for "realism" in my sounds so much as "Hollywood realism" - fun fact: did you know that Indiana Jones' .45 revolver actually has the firing sound of a Winchester rifle?

I could send you some good ones. I found a whole lot of them on my old hdd a while back. Made some new ones too.
The_Funktasm
Banned User

Postby wildweasel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:36 pm

IMPORTANT BULLETIN

Progress on bugfixing and adapting Diaz for its newest incarnation has been progressing fairly well. While not all of the weapons have been modified to use the new A_SetAngle/A_SetPitch functions (the ones that have not have had references to Vaecrius' recoil scripts commented out to prevent the console from being spammed with the error message), I have fixed some outstanding bugs involving the automatic reloading system (the RPK no longer has potentially infinite ammo) and some "realism" issues with the names of ammo pickups (the revolver now takes .500 S&W instead of .50AE, the RPK is now called the RPK-74 and takes 5.45mm instead of 7.62, among others).

However, recent events in the community have brought to light a new issue with the mod: the legality of its resources. I am not canceling or removing the mod, and previous versions will remain available (unless any of the myriad of IP owners whose resources I've borrowed decide to pursue legal action), but I am rethinking the inclusion of some resources. My plan is to replace as many resources as I can with equivalent Creative Commons resources. A complete audit of the mod's resources is underway so that I can determine which resources need replacing. If I can't find a needed resource, then (much to the disappointment of the critics) the original resource will remain.

While messing with bugs, I've replaced the firing sounds for the SMG-39, Mauser, and Skorpion rifle (which may be renamed to just "M-77L" to avoid confusion between it and the Vz.81 Skorpion sub-machine gun). I also messed with the Psi-Amp's recharging system, replacing the automatically regenerating psi energy with a more Bioshock-style "reloading" system. Don't worry, though, the psi energy will still automatically fill up over time, just far more slowly (and it will still recharge as ridiculously fast with the Combat Boost).

Lastly, I believe I've finally finished reorganizing the resources into folders within the PK3 file, which should make further resource-changes quite a bit easier due to me not needing to find them.

I have a lot of time on my hands lately so I hope I can continue making such progress.
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead

Re: Diaz v3 - Important Update! [p.4]

Postby Vict » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:43 am

Sounds great, take your time with this.

I was a big fan of Diaz before, and I really hope this turns out even better. :D
Vict

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods