[WIP] Project MSX - Beta 2 (v0.2a) July 22, 2013 Update!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] Project MSX - Beta 2 (v0.2a) July 22, 2013 Update!

Postby LostSkull » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 am

I guess we need to load this after the original MSX? It didn't worked for me at least just by loading the tweaks.
LostSkull
Banned User

Postby Naitguolf » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 am

Very nice mod. I really like it. I usually dont like gameplay mods, but this is excelent. Just one question, how i can melee with the weapons? I'm playing with projectmsx_v0.2a. Do I need to create an alias for it?
Naitguolf
Megadriver Custom

Postby LostSkull » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 am

G/ZDoom has a command called secondary fire, bind a key to that and you'll melee :)
LostSkull
Banned User

Postby Naitguolf » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:00 pm

LostSkull wrote:G/ZDoom has a command called secondary fire, bind a key to that and you'll melee :)

Yeah, i tried it, but it didnt work. I'm using GZDoom g1.8.2. What could be?

EDIT: Ok, seems if i bind to scroll-mouse-up (as i usually do to a melee attack) it doest work. Needs to be put on a key on keyboard. A bug maybe?
Naitguolf
Megadriver Custom

Postby LostSkull » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:06 pm

I have my right mousebutton as secondary so I guess there's something on your end.
LostSkull
Banned User

Postby Naitguolf » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 pm

LostSkull wrote:I have my right mousebutton as secondary so I guess there's something on your end.

No, i dont mean right mousebutton, but scroll-up button. Binding to a right button works, its the scroll-up (or scroll-down) that doest work. This is not related to the mod, but gzdoom. Since only works to bind mouse-up and mouse-down to cycle weapons. Other actions are ignored (binded, but ignored in game, for example, jump)
Naitguolf
Megadriver Custom

Postby Ionosphere-Negate » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:02 pm

Valherran wrote:EDIT: Um, ok, it doesn't work at all. All I see is standard Doom 2 content.

That's because it's just the files I've changed. It does not include the original MSX mod. I don't have the upload speed to constantly upload the whole thing (about 100MB) every time I update my modifications.

I'm making some balancing changes now, so I'd just discard that copy anyway.

PS: Next upload will just be a ZIP file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bigass update (instead of double-posting):

Okay, I fixed up my mod to this mod (lol) more, and made some balancing changes, roughly based on DooM's ammo pickup-to-cache ratios. It may seem like a lot, but you'll be using your weapons a lot more than in classic doom, and MSX really isn't built for down-tempo map WADs, including the original campaigns. It would probably be really great for Slaughter WADs since Renevants aren't as OP in it. Unless there are lots of Imps.

Also, I don't know why, but the modified sprite that I made for the large rifle ammo box isn't working. Even if I take the original image and just modify it, it stops working. The zip with the modded files has it in there (with the PNG extension added), in case someone else wants to try their hand at it. Personally gameplay is more important, and the pickup messages were easy to change.

[Link]
Just copy the actordefs folder over into MSX, confirm overwrite (when you unZIP it to put the files in, you'll still have the original file), and ZIP it all into a separate PK3 file and change "*.ZIP" to "*.PK3" (PK3s use the ZIP format, if you didn't know already).

Full changelog:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Ionosphere-Negate on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ionosphere-Negate

Postby SamuraiSTALIN » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:20 am

I love this mod, but why is the walking speed so insanely high? Is there any way to tone it down?
SamuraiSTALIN

Postby Ionosphere-Negate » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 pm

SamuraiSTALIN wrote:I love this mod, but why is the walking speed so insanely high? Is there any way to tone it down?

MSX is designed around extremely fast-paced gameplay. All monsters have higher speed and attack speed ratings. And the player's speed isn't even including running with a fully-charged nade or punch, or just using the "run" key.
Yeah, there's no change with "autorun," but the "run" key will make you Sanic. Tapping it while moving in any direction will cause a dash-like move that sends you flying. Oh, and you can even use that while in the air.
Ionosphere-Negate

Postby Bitterman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Yes, but there's less of a need to use sprint or boost when you're already running at ludicrous speeds.
Bitterman
Life of the party

Postby Ionosphere-Negate » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:52 am

Try playing this mod on top of Unholy Realms or Stardate 20X6. Also try it on top of "Deus Volt."
Ionosphere-Negate

Postby LostSkull » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:10 am

You should really try it with Unloved
LostSkull
Banned User

Postby everamzah » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:37 am

I think it would be really fun and interesting to have the dash ability usable mid-air. So for example you could perform a vertical high jump and then a horizontal dash directly afterward.

Looking forward to whatever comes of this mod. In particular I heard on TangoTV's Project B podcast that there should be Doom editor numbers in the future. In the past I've added those numbers myself in an attempt to make a fun city map for this mod. The result was quite mixed, but I'm quite eager to see any maps featuring geometry tailored to these mechanics.
everamzah
gl_texture_filter 0

Postby TheDarkArchon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:25 am

everamzah wrote:I think it would be really fun and interesting to have the dash ability usable mid-air.

It's already usuable mid-air. Hold a direction and tap run in mid air. However, it won't slow your descent in anyway.
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Postby everamzah » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:59 am

TheDarkArchon wrote:
everamzah wrote:I think it would be really fun and interesting to have the dash ability usable mid-air.

It's already usuable mid-air. Hold a direction and tap run in mid air. However, it won't slow your descent in anyway.

I didn't realize that you can use the dash during a normal jump, so thank you for that. However, upon testing I see that it is indeed impossible to dash from a high-jump. I wonder if this is because the high-jump uses shield energy, but doubt so because it only uses a small fraction.
everamzah
gl_texture_filter 0

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods