[WIP] Project MSX - Beta 2 (v0.2a) July 22, 2013 Update!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] Project MSX - Beta 2 (v0.2a) July 22, 2013 Update!

Postby chronoteeth » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:53 pm

chronoteeth
abubub

Postby VICE » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:18 am

Valherran wrote:I think the extra baddies addon gives extra pistol ammo in drops, not entirely sure though.

One particular enemy in the add-on drops them regularly, and pistol ammo boxes spawn randomly in the most recent version, so one can expect to see much more pistol ammo when playing with the add-on.
VICE
The .ogg O.G

Postby DEDLI » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:17 pm

chronoteeth wrote:in the interest of having something on topic

i redid the sounds i did for the mod months ago. beefier and snappier.

Damn, those are really sweet sounds. My only complaint being that the AR firing sound is a bit quiet compared to the firing sounds of every other weapon (needs to be amplified, a little extra gain wouldn't hurt either). However, I do like that the firing sound kind of walks the line of being an AR firing sound and SMG firing sound. Everything else sounds perfect. Is sound engineering a hobby of yours or something?
DEDLI

Postby chronoteeth » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:21 pm

you can go for the original AR sound then, that one was more snappy. i like this ar sound because it has proper stereo. a lot of it is just splicing, trimming, and cutting/merging/editing existing sounds with other sounds till i see fit
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby LostSkull » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:16 pm

This is so sexy!
LostSkull
Banned User

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:06 am

i found the pistol to be pretty useful against low-tier enemies. it's less effective against mid-tier ones, due to how HP-tanky they are, but if the map-set would only give you a pistol to rely on for a bit, then you always have the completely free fist-charges and EMP grenades to pit at them.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
Lives To Serve

Postby LostSkull » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:27 am

Yeah, for once the pistol is useful compaired to any other shooter out there.
LostSkull
Banned User

Postby Big C » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Yes. It's good either as a "finisher" gun, or a jack-of-all-trades weapon that excels at nothing but is reliable in all situations.

Also, I get the feeling the assault rifle is supposed to fill the role of the vanilla DooM shotgun in this mod as a workhorse weapon, given the sheer amount of spare ammo dropped for it.
Big C

Postby submerge » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Big C wrote:Yes. It's good either as a "finisher" gun, or a jack-of-all-trades weapon that excels at nothing but is reliable in all situations.

Also, I get the feeling the assault rifle is supposed to fill the role of the vanilla DooM shotgun in this mod as a workhorse weapon, given the sheer amount of spare ammo dropped for it.

I agree, but more than anything the enemies just need to be tweaked to drop more pistol ammo, and the autoshotty needs a buff. AFAIK both those things are happening.
submerge

Postby EightLimbs » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:08 am

Could you please add headshots to this mod?

It just feels a bit weird when you have weapons like the pistol and the rifle for accuracy and nothing happens when you ping demons in the face.

Seriously seriously awesome mod though. Absolutely love it!
EightLimbs

Postby LostSkull » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:26 am

Can someone recommend me some good WADs to play this with? :)
I'm currently playing it with BTSX and I love it!
LostSkull
Banned User

Postby Endless123 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:51 am

LostSkull wrote:Can someone recommend me some good WADs to play this with? :)
I'm currently playing it with BTSX and I love it!

Personally i like Dark 7 and Hadephobia with this mod. DoomOne is also fun to play with this mod. What is awesome about Project MSX is you can combined this mod with almost all WADs. It's even compatible with FreeDoom :D So take your pick and you are sure to have fun :D
Endless123

Postby LostSkull » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks :D I actually tried this with the scary Unloved WAD and it worked very well combined, it became almost like F.E.A.R.
LostSkull
Banned User

Postby Ionosphere-Negate » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:39 am

Hey yo, I made a few tweaks to MSX, including: ammo pickup amounts and messages, rifle and auto-shotgun damage,
and I even fixed the sprite for the rifle ammo box: Image
I also changed the sgauss from "Sniper Gauss Cannon" to just "Gauss Rifle."

[link removed]

Here's a full changelog:
Spoiler:
Unfortunately, I actually had to make a few tweaks to the changelog just now, so the one that comes in the PK3 file won't be exactly right. Dropbox doesn't do that incremental update stuff, but I'm not too worried about it.

Although the creator hasn't given the mod a major number yet, it might as well have one. I can safely say this is a fully-working package deserving a nice, big 1.0 on it. And no, while I prefer my modifications (especially the damage mods to the rifle), I'm talking about the current official "0.2a" version.

BTW, this mod is fun as Hell (lol) on top of Unholy Realms, which is what I'm playing now.

PS: The damage for some of the weapons has a static base damage, and then has a damage roll on top of that.
Hope u liek!
Last edited by Ionosphere-Negate on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ionosphere-Negate

Postby Valherran » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Interesting, will have a romp through this later today. Though I can tell that the increased ammo pickups may be a bit much. :-P

EDIT: Um, ok, it doesn't work at all. All I see is standard Doom 2 content.
Valherran

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods