[WIP] Project MSX - Beta 2 (v0.2a) July 22, 2013 Update!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xaser

Re: [WIP] Project MSX [Gameplay Mod]

Post by Xaser »

There's no seperate category for such things, and projects with maps are generally more well-regarded than ones without. 'Tis the way of things.
Sangelothi

Post by Sangelothi »

Is it just me, or do the sprites in those screen shots look rather blurry??? :?
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

Zero-X wrote:Is it just me, or do the sprites in those screen shots look rather blurry??? :?
Nope i noticed they looked kinda blurry too ^^
But its probably because he resized them or something
MagSigmaX

Post by MagSigmaX »

TheMistress wrote:
Zero-X wrote:Is it just me, or do the sprites in those screen shots look rather blurry??? :?
Nope i noticed they looked kinda blurry too ^^
But its probably because he resized them or something
Yeah, I used image filtering to resize the weapons sprites and keep them smooth, also I took those screenshots using GZDoom's trilinear filtering.

Xaser wrote:There's no seperate category for such things, and projects with maps are generally more well-regarded than ones without. 'Tis the way of things.
Oh really? I wonder why... :-?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

MagSigmaX wrote:Yeah, I used image filtering to resize the weapons sprites and keep them smooth...
Wait, you're talking about using GZDoom's sprite smoothing, right? I hope you're not saying that you physically resized the graphics using some sort of filtering -- that's never a good thing.
Estopolis

Post by Estopolis »

Oh wow, it's great to hear that this is still being worked on.

I was wondering if it'd be possible for you to tell us how the project is going along.
Will there be a beta release?
I'm still very interested in playing this, if you haven't noticed.
MagSigmaX

Post by MagSigmaX »

Xaser wrote:
MagSigmaX wrote:Yeah, I used image filtering to resize the weapons sprites and keep them smooth...
Wait, you're talking about using GZDoom's sprite smoothing, right? I hope you're not saying that you physically resized the graphics using some sort of filtering -- that's never a good thing.
Yeah, I used filtering in order to resize the model sprites and making them look smooth, it was that or capture the models directly at Doom's resolution and have jarred edges on the weapons, which it happened in the second set of weapons that I did and they looked awful. These new graphics are the third set that I'm doing, that's other reason why this is taking me so long.

Anyway, I think the main culprit here is GZDoom's sprite filters, Here is a picture of the assault rifle without GZDoom's filters.
Spoiler:
Estopolis wrote:Oh wow, it's great to hear that this is still being worked on.

I was wondering if it'd be possible for you to tell us how the project is going along.
Will there be a beta release?
I'm still very interested in playing this, if you haven't noticed.
I'm working on the auto cannon graphics and animations (it has a lot of frames). I've been kinda slowed down by university stuff and StrongholdxD... There will be a beta release, but I don't know when. Don't worry I'm still working on this thing :wink:

Here is a sneak peak of the auto cannon...
Spoiler:
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

MagSigmaX wrote:Here is a picture of the assault rifle without GZDoom's filters.
But that looks great! Can't say the same about the auto-cannon in the next pic, though (a shame, too -- it'd be perfect without the filtering, there).

It's important to realize that Doom is a pixelated game, and many of its players like it that way. It's a much better idea to have sprites without filtering and just have those who want filtering use GZDoom's, rather than forcing it on those who don't.

Now, if you're talking about capturing images at a higher resolution and scaling them down, I suppose that would work fine. The anti-aliasing might be a bit off-putting to some but I didn't mind it in Jekyll's "Russian Arsenal" that much. I'd prefer the jagged edges, personally, but that's just because that's the way I'm used to seeing things. :P
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I was about to say the same thing but I was damn tired.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Also maybe it'd work with models, but otherwise filtering can go die in a fire. :)
rollingcrow
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by rollingcrow »

What's the item replacing the berserk pack in your newest screenshot?
ZDG

Post by ZDG »

It looks absolutely fantastic.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

I'm anxiously awaiting some sort of beta, this looks absolutely awesome.
wwwoosher

awesome mod!!!!

Post by wwwoosher »

wow this all looks really awesome.
lukas

Post by lukas »

Xaser wrote:It's important to realize that Doom is a pixelated game, and many of its players like it that way. It's a much better idea to have sprites without filtering and just have those who want filtering use GZDoom's, rather than forcing it on those who don't.
Yes I prefer it pixely looking to blurred too.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”