Heretic++ Enhanced Heretic [WIP]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tendo

Re: Heretic++ Enhanced Heretic [RELEASED]

Post by Tendo »

Hello,

I've got two problems with Heretic++. Is it normal, that i can't see the intermissions and maps after the mapexit?
It's like if you play SvHeretic...and thats nonsense for singleplayer.
Second problem is, that attacks of the monsters and the weapons havn't any dynamic light.
I have to activate something, to make dynamic lights in Heretic++ available?

I use GZdoom and using OpenGl with Dynamic Lights on (brightmap & light pk3 are bound).

Please help me :?

Tendo
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Oh, sorry. I disabled Dynamic lights in favour of optimization and the flare & particle effects.

Also; the map intermissions problem is because of Skulltag Cross Compatibility, I patched Heretic++ with Tiger's SvHeretic.
Tendo

Post by Tendo »

Oh, thank you for answering ^^.

Ok, i see. Is there maybe a way to activate the Dynamic lights and turn the intermissions back on?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Well, adding the dynamic lights would be a total pain in the butt. But on the other hand, fixing that other issue wouldn't be difficult, but as I've moved computers I no longer have Heretic++ nor do I have the tools required, well.. Tool [SLumpEd or SLADE]
Tendo

Post by Tendo »

The Heretic++.pk3 is easy to find lol, but i understand that with the dynamic light...guess i have to put it out then and play without it and just using it as a Skulltag wad :? .

Thanks for the information.

Tendo
Siberian Tiger
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro. 22H2
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Siberian Tiger »

Tendo wrote:Is it normal, that i can't see the intermissions and maps after the mapexit?
Can you elaborate this further?
Tendo wrote:It's like if you play SvHeretic...and thats nonsense for singleplayer.
I don't quite understand what you mean.
Tendo

Post by Tendo »

Intermission: I mean the picture where you can see the next locations like in Doom 1. It doesn't appear just like in SVHeretic, what is made for skulltag.
The author already confirmed that he patched Heretic++ with SVheretic, so that doesn't matter anymore.

I tried to put the Dynamic Lights back on, but that is a lot of work...too much work.
Siberian Tiger
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro. 22H2
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Siberian Tiger »

Tendo wrote:Intermission: I mean the picture where you can see the next locations like in Doom 1. It doesn't appear just like in SVHeretic, what is made for skulltag.
If I remember correctly, Heretic++ never used MAPINFO until the later official release. And by that time of release, Mikk used SVHeretic to accomplish this. Being able to see "the next locations" is not possible with the current SVHeretic from 2008, instead (as like ZDoom currently) you will see a blue tile background. The current SVHeretic revision does allow 'Episode Maps', but this feature was implemented after the release of Heretic++.
Tendo wrote:The author already confirmed that he patched Heretic++ with SVheretic, so that doesn't matter anymore.
Apart that this doesn't make sense to me, I don't know if there is a bug with SVHeretic or if this is a User Error.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Why have I only just got around to trying this? I think this is a really nice little enhancement pack. There is nothing too OTT and it all seems to compliment the game very nicely. I love the additional effects on the Iron Lich whirlwind.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Haha, thanks! This mod was more popular over at the Skulltag Forums, that might be the reason. If you're a fan of Strife, look out for Strife++... In about 10 years, along with the release of DoomScript, Half Life 2: Episode 3 and Black Mesa: Source :P
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

bumping this with an updated link for downloading:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8f1cwlddqgb6 ... %2B%2B.pk3

this is just the main file, without any of the extras like the pointless demo map or .bat loader [which took forever to write in notepad, mind you]
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Screenshots seem to be down.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I'll have to re-upload the screenshots as I deleted my photobucket account a year ago. I might have some decent shots lying around

However, I'm planning on revisiting heretic++, cleaning it up and making some changes - I made some rather strange design decisions 3 years ago and my coding is rather messy and bizzare.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Phew. For a moment there, I thought one of the ideas I had kicking around was at risk of biting it. Interesting. Would you mind if I lumped this in with another thing i'm working on?
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Mikk- wrote:However, I'm planning on revisiting heretic++, cleaning it up and making some changes - I made some rather strange design decisions 3 years ago and my coding is rather messy and bizzare.
Wow, was it really that long ago? :shock:

Still, I'd love to playtest this for you again! I can certainly do a better job this time around. (For example, not being worried about offending you for saying the projectile trails are awful. :P ) I bet I can find some new resource goodies for you, too.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”