Superball - last update 2020-02-23

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Superball - last update 2020-02-23

Post by Matt »

2020-02-23: Now that I've got a webspace again I've reuploaded some stuff that used to be on the old one. Superball has updated documentation and is now released as BSD-3, and fast mode no longer has that pre-fire altfire delay that made it so useless.

2014-12-25: Because I'm a hugeass loser with no life you guys are awesome and deserve this wonderful Xmas gift I just spent Xmas Eve and Xmas Day redoing all the weapon and player code on this mod from scratch!
(for all subsequent updates just read the thread - download link is the same each time.)

Biggest changes from the 2009 version (which now causes a freeze whenever the ball hits something and I have no idea why):
  • The ball now inherits your movement and has gravity, and each shot pushes you back a bit.
  • You get an altfire that lets you shoot a very fast, lower-gravity ball, which mitigates much of your own inherited movement but disables your gun for a terrifying and usually lethal 2 seconds. (NB: you have to hold down the key for a split second.)
  • Ball damage is now deterministic. It is by design that any direct hit will instantly kill any player (200 damage ignore armour).
  • No more random mega-explosions. Oddly enough, between this and the deterministic ball damage the game is no less utterly fucking chaotic than I recall the old version being - possibly even more so.
  • No special pickups other than weapons and weapon-replacers.
  • Not quite as much ball variety, it seems. Will work on that.I think I've outdone the old mod at this point. (AlsoStill no obituaries for now, but I think I'll leave that as it is.)
  • New minimalistic HUD.
  • Monsters are solid. Players, however, can pass through each other and generally cannot telefrag each other.
  • Mandatory spawn protection: you cannot pick up items or get hit for 2 seconds or until you shoot, whichever comes first.
  • New powers based on ammo pickups. Now if you have at least:
    • 100 clips, your primary shot has double ROF.
    • 40 shells, your alternate shot is a 3-round burst.
    • 10 rockets, your shots bounce.
    • 200 cells, your shots rip.
    The good news is that if you take any damage you lose ammo!
  • New cvars to customize your experience:
    • sb_grav = turns on gravity on balls.
    • sb_slow = slows down all players.
    • sb_nopu = removes ammo-based powerups.
    • sb_pitch = if sb_grav is on, adjusts the pitch of your shot to be slightly higher than where you're aiming. (client only)
Spoiler: old OP here
Last edited by Matt on Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Captain Proof

Re: Vae's Superball

Post by Captain Proof »

I haven't played this yet but I wanted to say that Skybox is pretty fucking awesome.
Pedro vc

Post by Pedro vc »

Captain Proof wrote:I haven't played this yet but I wanted to say that Skybox is pretty fraking awesome.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Matt

Post by Matt »

Minor update: changed the HUD and used random spawners instead of new actors in the weapon pickup replacements.
EDIT: Derp, forgot to add keys to the HUD.
Matt

Re: Vae's Superball - last update 2014-12-25

Post by Matt »

Massive necrobump update! I've completely rewritten the mod from scratch (except only for the monsters) using (G)ZDoom features that weren't even theoretically on the table 5 years ago.

For the record, here are the changes in case I edit them out of the OP:
  • The ball now inherits your movement and has gravity, and each shot pushes you back a bit.
  • You get an altfire that lets you shoot a very fast, lower-gravity ball, which mitigates much of your own inherited movement but disables your gun for a terrifying and usually lethal 2 seconds. (NB: you have to hold down the key for a split second.)
  • Ball damage is now deterministic. It is by design that any direct hit will instantly kill any player (200 damage ignore armour).
  • No more random mega-explosions. Oddly enough, between this and the deterministic ball damage the game is no less utterly fucking chaotic than I recall the old version being - possibly even more so.
  • No special pickups other than weapons and weapon-replacers.
  • Not quite as much ball variety, it seems. Will work on that. (Also no obituaries for now, but I think I'll leave that as it is.)
  • New minimalistic HUD.
  • Monsters are solid.
The bots are surprisingly super effective here, so if you can't grab enough people you're willing to share a connection with give them a try!
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Heh, first found his mod on your website around a year ago; thought it was an beginner's project, didn't know it was on the forums. Was a blast! Though I avoided berserks since the screaming drove me insane.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I knew I forgot to mention something! Yeah, no screamy railgun zerkball this time - not for any design reason, I just couldn't get them to work. ._.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Just added a whole bunch of balls and fixed a bug where the imp ball would be faster than any other. Same download link as before.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I think I'll try this with nuts.wad. Thanks, Vaecrius!
Matt

Re: Vae's Superball - last update 2014-12-27

Post by Matt »

Anyway since I'm still on vacation yet another update. Lots of aesthetic tweaks including feedback for shots and hits.

Also playing way too many botmatches with this to this song:
Big C

Post by Big C »

Vaecrius wrote:Image
For shits and giggles, of course. :P

And because this seems like a vaguely danmaku-ish mod.
T1 Heavy Tank
Location: Philippine, USA, Japan, Great Britain, Spain, and Cuba

Post by T1 Heavy Tank »

Ok the PK7 wont play in Zdoom, GZDoom, Zandronum 2.0 alpha, and Zandronum (Full Version) thanks :x
edward850

Post by edward850 »

T1 Heavy Tank wrote:Ok the PK7 wont play in Zdoom, GZDoom, Zandronum 2.0 alpha, and Zandronum (Full Version) thanks :x
Because you need to actually update G/ZDoom.
Matt

Re: Vae's Superball - last update 2014-12-28

Post by Matt »

Up to now there have been 2 major ways in which gameplay flow has been reduced:
1. Zombies and imps have 100 health and take forever to kill.
2. Players can block each other's movements.

That's all gone.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”