GVHv2 - Beta 7 Released!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP again] Ghouls versus Humans

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:28 am

Even then I'm iffy on having the SSG. I mean everyone likes it, it's pretty powerful and a standard weapon for the doomguy but it just seems a bit TOO much... I dunno. I guess I'll try it and see what people think.

Btw I don't want to have two marines :wink:
Cutmanmike
Is it hot in here or is it just ZScript

Postby Snarboo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:34 am

Here's a few more class ideas:
-An archer that uses a crossbow. The crossbow would fly farther than the bow from Ghoul 3, and do a little more damage. Crossbow bolts can be picked up again. This is your sniper class.
-A dude with a shotgun. Since the SSG is a pit powerful, just have a guy armed with the standard shotgun or similar weapon. This is your close range class.
-A dude with a jetpack. His main weapon would be a recharging plasma rifle or similar weapon. Relatively weak, but has infinite ammo. His jetpack also draws power from the same energy source as his weapon, so you have to balance flight with power. This is your "scout" class, and is a good counter to Sjas.

Each class would be armed with their fists and a secondary weapon, such as a pistol. Each class has the same stats but different weapons.
Snarboo
Bacon doesn't know it's not dogs

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:44 am

-An archer that uses a crossbow.

What's wrong with ye olde bow? :(

-A dude with a shotgun.

Still needs more to make people want to play with him.

-A dude with a jetpack. His main weapon would be a recharging plasma rifle or similar weapon. Relatively weak, but has infinite ammo. His jetpack also draws power from the same energy source as his weapon, so you have to balance flight with power. This is your "scout" class, and is a good counter to Sjas.

YES this is what I want to see! Great idea. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the jetpack "power" though. But it's a very nice idea. Definitely going with this. Thanks :D

I think balancing him will be the toughest challenge though. Although if I make him heavy and slow, his flying will make up for it.
Last edited by Cutmanmike on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cutmanmike

Postby Snarboo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:51 am

Cutmanmike wrote:What's wrong with ye olde bow? :(
Absolutely nothing, I just thought you would want the bow to have a little more "oomph" since it's a DM mod. :) Maybe this class also comes with the lighter from Ghoul 3 that creates a small buffer zone that pushes ghouls back? I'm not sure how this would work though, but it's an idea.

Still needs more to make people want to play with him.

Yeah, I admit it's kinda "weak". Maybe give him a slightly weaker automatic shotgun and a sawed-off shotgun in place of a pistol? That way, you have to choose between raw power (sawed off) or suppression (auto shotty), and since both weapons use shells, you have to balance your ammo, too. The sawed off would be like the super shotgun, only slightly weaker and even more inaccurate, meaning you have to get insanely close to a ghoul. It also takes longer to reload.

I'm glad you like my jetpack class idea, though. :D
Snarboo

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:54 am

Hmm I dunno how I would make the lighter a weapon. I'm thinking DIY flame thrower but since he's medievaly, where's he going to get the gas from? (Don't you dare :P)

One shotgun is enough I think. Maybe a rifle?
Cutmanmike

Postby Snarboo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:58 am

Cutmanmike wrote:One shotgun is enough I think. Maybe a rifle?
Ooh, that class could be like a hunter with a rifle and a shotgun. The rifle is accurate but slow, while the shotgun is perfect for close quarters.

As for a DIY flamethrower, there's always the aerosol flamethrower from Blood. Or maybe he uses magic, since he's all medieval and stuff? And if he's a magic user, he could have a magical bow and flame spell. Both would use mana that must recharge. The flame spell would be like a flamethrower, and the magical bow would be...well, a bow. :p

I have to wonder if having too classes that don't use ammo is a good idea, though. Maybe the archer still needs arrows, he can just imbue them with magical essence if he has mana? He should come with a sword instead of fists, too.
Snarboo

Postby .+:icytux:+. » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:06 am

Cutmanmike wrote:Heh why a farmer? :wink:

because that would be qute. and more fitting to stand beside a "archer".

and just imagine the fun. throw pitchforks and stab them (long melee range). and hit them with a shovel or sledgehammer :D hi-power melee weaps :)
.+:icytux:+.
Mr. Happy of the Day!

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:15 am

Another problem is that the archer will always look like he has a bow because of his sprite. I could make him light his arrows with altfire, which is like a slow reloading animation but makes his arrow more powerful/faster?
Cutmanmike

Postby Snarboo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:29 am

Cutmanmike wrote:Another problem is that the archer will always look like he has a bow because of his sprite. I could make him light his arrows with altfire, which is like a slow reloading animation but makes his arrow more powerful/faster?
That sounds like a great idea, actually. And flaming arrows can't be picked up again because they will probably either be broken, burned up or just too damn hot.

Maybe the archer could also have a shield along with a sword as his melee weapon? The shield would give him minor protection from "physical" ghouls such as Sjas and Jitterskull when in use, but the shield breaks after so many hits and he moves slower with it up. That way, the creeper would be a more appealing class since his attack could go right through the shield.
Snarboo

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:34 am

I dunno a shield wouldn't fit because sjas screams at you (soundproof shield?), jitterskull eats you whole and the creeper just... uhh... sucks your soul out. I think I'll just stick with his fire arrows.

The marine is the one who needs attention now :o
Cutmanmike

Postby .+:icytux:+. » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:03 am

(when this is done. be sure to see a farmer addon made by icy after a short ammount of time)
.+:icytux:+.
Mr. Happy of the Day!

Postby Phobus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:50 am

Hey cutty, if you want an easy, cheap way to have a flying player class with an unlimited ammo weapon, you can use the Spore from Virus if you like, though I admit that is probably at odds with the otherwise semi-serius nature of the wad.

However, it looks like somwhere I missed something and you only want to sort out the marine. Berserk punch and shotgun? That way you get the Halo feel of running towards eachother holding the trigger and whoever gets the melee hit in first wins.
Phobus
Registered Occasional Lurker

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:55 am

Punching ghouls is one thing people don't want to try and do :P
Cutmanmike

Postby Snarboo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:17 am

There's gotta be something to make for an interesting Marine class.

I just had a funny thought. What if the marine class was like a "ghoulbuster", and they had something like the ghost traps and proton pack from Ghostbusters? The trap works by throwing and then activating it, which creates a trap that can kill a ghoul easily if they're not careful. The proton pack would be like a firehose, a lot of power packed into a short, concentrated area. It's kind of silly, but interesting too. :p
Snarboo

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:21 am

I imagine traps would be easy to avoid for the jitterskull ("jitters" past them) and sjas (flies over them) though. Not sure if it's a good idea.
Cutmanmike

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods