GVHv2 - Beta 7 Released!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP again] Ghouls versus Humans

Postby Slasher » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:04 am

Maybe these graphics of Caleb's hands from Blood could be useful...
Slasher
It smells like luncheon meat that's been walking around in the sun too long.

Postby Cutmanmike » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:53 am

Ahhh those are good Slasher, I'll work with those for a while and see what I can do. Thanks.

Unknown_Assassin wrote:For enhancing the Creeper, perhaps you could give it a charge attack (maybe an alt. attack (haven't played the mod)).

Jitterskull is the charge king I'm afraid. :)

Btw we did a skulltag test online. ST bugs prevented us for a real playtest (See how big jitterskull's sprite is? Yeah now imagine "scale" not working on online.... bricks were shat) but we got a okay feel of it.

Sjas was easily the best class to be, as he's fast and he can fly. He needs a bit of nerfing somehow.

Jitterskull like I said was ballsed up but his attack and movement seemed to work fine online, which is good!

The Creeper was bottom tier because he was too slow and "creeping" wasn't an option because he was too big. His one hit death didn't do him justice and the custom damagetype thing (to execute the IN YOUR FACE script) didn't work (yet it works with bots... hmm).

Speaking of the creeper, remember how in Ghoul 3 when you shoot him he runs away like lightning? Well in this, if you shoot him he gets a burst of speed for about 50 tics. Could be used as a getaway or a strategy to getting your foes :P
Cutmanmike
Is it hot in here or is it just ZScript

Postby .+:icytux:+. » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:55 am

Cutmanmike wrote:Speaking of the creeper, remember how in Ghoul 3 when you shoot him he runs away like lightning? Well in this, if you shoot him he gets a burst of speed for about 50 tics. Could be used as a getaway or a strategy to getting your foes :P

yea, i remember iv been pwned sometimes especially in online games. when he instead of run away. charges at you O_o
.+:icytux:+.
Mr. Happy of the Day!

Postby Cutmanmike » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:02 am

I'm stumped with player classes. I can't really make any of them unique (like I can't give a commando more health because ghouls do insane damage).

How would you guys feel about classes with one or two guns only? And if so, what two weapons should doomguy have?

I.e

Doomguy: Super Shotgun, Chaingun
Jetpack marine/cyborg/whatever: Railgun, something else
Heavy weapon man(lol): Rocket launcher, Minigun
Cutmanmike

Postby SoulCrow » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm not sure if it's possible but I have an idea for some sort of notification of when the Creeper strikes. If the rest of the Ghouls are all going to be instakill (and instagib I assume), you could make the Creeper instakill without the gibbing. Then you could possibly alter the 'regular' marine death to play some sort of loud scream (coming from the marine) which is audible across the whole level - to tell others of where the Creeper has just struck.

Also, I was thinking in terms of weapons the BFG is a bit OTT for something like this (as someone could just spam the whole room with BFG blasts and the splash damage will probably get the Ghouls) so as an alternative...

...you could probably create a "magical" weapon (which could look like a necklace on the ground or something) which when picked up can only be fired once per player life (or maybe have a cool down). The attack would try to replicate a "magical" or "psychic" attack whereby an invisible projectile is shot out, and when it 'detonates' it creates a splash damage effect similiar to what the BFG uses. So a marine could use this weapon as a last resort when he knows a Ghoul is after him, but the downside is that the marine has to be facing in the direction of his enemy (so the Ghouls can still strike the unwary).
SoulCrow
Actually...

Postby Wills » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:06 pm

Oh god, not the pictures of dead babies! :(

Here are my ideas for classes. Each has a primary weapon and a secondary weapon, which is more powerful but harder to get ammo for. They also have a special attack that they can activate only once per life.

Doomguy - SSG, Plasma Rifle (SA: BFG Blast, fires a BFG ball and a ring of BFG10K shots)
Heavy Weapons Dude - Minigun, Rocket Launcher (SA: Kamikaze, automatically explodes on death and hurts the killing ghoul a good bit)
Tech Soldier - Chaingun, Railgun (SA: Plasma Bombardment, shoots several rings of plasma around accompanied by rockets)
Wills

Postby Cutmanmike » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:19 pm

BoldEnglishman wrote:I'm not sure if it's possible but I have an idea for some sort of notification of when the Creeper strikes. If the rest of the Ghouls are all going to be instakill (and instagib I assume), you could make the Creeper instakill without the gibbing. Then you could possibly alter the 'regular' marine death to play some sort of loud scream (coming from the marine) which is audible across the whole level - to tell others of where the Creeper has just struck.

This already happens. It just didn't work on ST online for some reason.
Cutmanmike

Postby Cutmanmike » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am

Wills I can't see the special attacks working out balance wise. I know the ghouls can kill players almost instantly, but ghouls aren't as accurate as the monster versions. Plus they have the disadvantage of making their presence always known (via either being huge or screaming). The creeper doesn't count here but he still has his disadvantages.

Here's an idea. Marine, Archer (from Ghoul3) and a cyborg. That way it's like past present and future. Although it doesn't really make sense to have a cyborg since he's not a part of the series, I think he would fit as a "tech" class. Waddya think?

Edit: Btw you just got into deathnote or something?
Cutmanmike

Postby .+:icytux:+. » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:57 am

id like:

Archer. has a bow, maybe like firearrows and stuff like that would be fun too...
Farmer. has got a pitchfork and maybe a shovel. some pretty hi-damage meleeweaps. found in the farm.
JetpackD00d. well, he has a jetpack. dunno about the weapons. its rather unfitting for the other classes. but still i think it would be fun being able to fly.
.+:icytux:+.
Mr. Happy of the Day!

Postby Cutmanmike » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:03 am

Heh why a farmer? :wink:
Cutmanmike

Postby Wills » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:45 pm

I can understand why the special attacks wouldn't work; I feel like I'd have to play this first to see what exactly needed balancing - are the ghouls too fast/strong? Humans too weak? Etc.

Cutmanmike wrote:Edit: Btw you just got into deathnote or something?

I've been watching it for a good while but I felt like it was time to change my avatar, and I decided to continue in the "serious person" avatar vein.
Wills

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:00 am

A well placed SSG can kill Sjas in one blow. Almost two can kill Jitterskull and the creeper has the same health as the doomguy.

It's not so much the balancing with the humans I'm concerned about, it's what to actually make the humans look like and do that's making this tough. I might stick to my original idea though.
Cutmanmike

Postby Snarboo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:23 am

Cutmanmike wrote:It's not so much the balancing with the humans I'm concerned about, it's what to actually make the humans look like and do that's making this tough. I might stick to my original idea though.
You could just add a couple new weapons for the new classes and leave it at that. Nothing too crazy or wild. I like you're idea of keeping it simple, but I'd also like to see some new content on the human side.

Now that I think about, I might have some weapons from an unfinished mod of mine that would work with this. Would something like a quadruple-barrel shotgun be up your alley? :)
Snarboo
Bacon doesn't know it's not dogs

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:40 am

I dunno, like I said a ssg shot already blows sjas to pieces...

Btw I dunno if I mentioned this but ALL weapons, health and armor has to be removed from the game so ghoul's don't pick them up. This is why I want to give classes two/three starting weapons.
Cutmanmike

Postby Phobus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:26 am

I say have a class that uses the bow and arrow like in GF3, and have another class that only uses the SSG, and have a final class which uses something like a chaingun or plasma rifle. You should be able to easily find marine with chaingun/plasma gun sprites, and I'm sure you used a different sprite set for GF3-guy.
Phobus
Registered Occasional Lurker

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods