ScoreDoom v1.99r3B

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BilboHicks

Re: ScoreDoom v1.99r3

Post by BilboHicks »

V1.99R3b released.
Ack, one final release...
After playing some extensive co-op, I found a minor (but annoying to fix) bug whereby certain damage messages on the console were repeated in multiplayer (even though the actual score was ok). This has been fixed. Basically the fix for the lag bug created it.

To make the download more worthwhile, I also decided to add a fix so that the Minotaur power up and Sentry Turret power up obey team damage rules. i.e. they dont hurt you or teammates anymore by default.
(It was very annoying to summon a Minotaur Demon and have it beat on you, albeit by accident)
download from usual: http://www.scoredoom.com
NovaDragon

Re: ScoreDoom v1.99r3B

Post by NovaDragon »

Cool deal! Definatly loving this very much! Playing hell revealed with the dalgor deh patch from cybrul2 on idgames.
Anyhow i think i noticed something and this could have been intentional. When fighting the mother demon (azagini or something like that) I noticed she only has 1600 hp with the hardboss addon. I can understand it making it harder but she got severely nurfed. Just letting you know as im not sure if it was intentional or by accident.
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

Seems a bit weird to drop her/his/it's health. How do we know it's female though? (Don't look at me, I didn't create the demon lore)

If it's a Cyber-demon class it should have the same about as a Cyber-demon. 4000 health. I don't know how much more health most of the hardboss wad gives, but yeah, 1600 is low. Are you certain though?

Did you kill it and get 160 bonus points for a "Big" kill?
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

Thanks NovaDragon. Yep this was an error in the hard bosses wad.

The fixed version is below:

http://files.filefront.com/sdmonstersha ... einfo.html

I've had a lot of time to work on v2.x of the mod and its coming on well. It will definitely make trying to beat hi scores a lot more worthwhile :-)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Hows your progress on it anyway? Just remember to cancel out cheats next build :wink:.
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

Hey edward.
Yeah its actually going very well, since I had all weekend to work on it. All the major/hard stuff is done and tested.
Just a lot of tidying up, both in the client code and on the server/database side of things.

For anti-cheating:
Scoredoom checks for any disallowed arguments/commands/cfgs at startup, as well as anytime the console is opened period. If anything illegal is detected, Internet (remote) hi-scoring will be disabled, its very strict. It needs a little more polish and testing though.
Scoredoom does md5 checking of itself (gzscoredoom.exe) & gzscoredoom.pk3 at startup and uses a private 'seed' located in a header file to generate a global md5 for a valid client md5 hash which gets checked by the server code. IMO, this is an effective way of keeping the source code open, but makes it reasonably secure (short of packet sniffing by would be hackers), that the client/pk3 hasn't been hacked.
SD also generates at run time a combined md5 off all the wads loaded as well as any separate patch files. This helps stop wad/patch hacking/cheating. The wad md5 is used as a key for that wad configuration on the server.

Other stuff:
I got SD now working with the remote hi score tables. It grabs hi scores and the player names from the server database, as well as updating the server database with the client player name and hi scores. Still some polishing left to do here.
The main server side code and database stuff is basically done too. Just need some more polish, as well as code to generate the online hi score tables in html format, as well as html admin screens for the hi score table admin and players (to change pwd say).
Also need to add hi score server url and playername/pwd options to the menu screen.

Server side there are a couple of options for admins to control how the hi score server works. One is to allow new player names to be adding automatically as long as they have a pwd. With this turned off, the hi score server admin will need to add players manually, a potentially good thing I think. :-)

The other is to allow 'public' wad configurations.
Basically there is a main table with 'officially recognized' predefined wad configurations and their hash keys. If scoredoom logs into the hi score table server (using player name & pwd) with a wad configuration (hash) not known in the main wad table, the 'public' option will allow the hash to be added to the public wad table. This keeps potential crud away from the main 'officially recognized' wad configurations, while allow a certain degree of freedom. Main table is checked first, then the public table.
I plan to release the server side code along with the rest of the release, so that 'private' hi score servers can be set up.

wall of text. sorry, but hopefully this will make single player hi scores a lot more fun to go for!
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

Um, I have no idea what you're saying. You lost me at MD5 checking and hashes. I thought he wanted you to remove the cheat codes. :) <turns off nuclear missile launcher>
Also, playing this in Multiplayer would be akin to going sky-diving into a black hole. I.E. Full of the fun that rips you apart for eternity, Constantly. :)

Seriously, I like it just fine, but I don't really understand multiplayer Doom. Yeah, multiplayer is fun, but too many people out there who aren't known for having fun. I don't know. Multiplayer, eh. I just don't get it.

Also, I was thinking more of the lines of free ammo or powerups once a high score was beaten. Or certain scores would grant a bonus. 50,000 points. Random something. 100,000, etc. Things like that. That's my idea of how to make hi scores more interesting to beat. That's just me. Considering my name really should be "I who plays on God-mode to have fun."
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

Hehe. I'll always consider new ideas.

Multiplayer is a ton of fun, but I love Doom co-op and co-op in general. The additional scoring makes it competitive ala SmashTV, so its not really co-op anymore I guess ;-)

Yeah, edward850 and I a little while back discussed adding an Internet Hi Score table, where scoredoom will post your hi score(s) to a central hi score database. Anyone else playing that iwad or pwad will suck down the hi score and the player name who set it to see if they can beat the score and have their score and name posted for others to see. This is something I considered adding at the start of working on the mod actually.
I basically have it working, just need some polishing to do. I think this will make single player hi scores a ton more fun. Of course, I'll be keeping the current local hi score system too, which can be turned on.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

If you want, you could give me a build so I can set some high scores for Doom in UV. :D
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

edward850 wrote:If you want, you could give me a build so I can set some high scores for Doom in UV. :D
Hoping to have a fairly solid beta build out before the end of the month. Just a lot of bits and pieces to tie together.
I will probably host the hi score table server on my free domain provider for the time being.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”