[Public Beta! Page 1 or 2] Results May Vary (Updated 4/11)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Onslaught Six

Re: [Public Beta! Page 1 or 2] Results May Vary (Updated 4/11)

Post by Onslaught Six »

chronoteeth wrote:The pistol feels off. Either it's the large blue to purple plasma balls and red muzzle flash, or the thin-ness of the gun, it just feels kinda odd. Sound gets annoying after a while too.
I shall fix the red muzzle flash--I didn't even notice until after I uploaded it.
Shotgun is fine, great gun. Just fix the alignment, thats all.
Alignment fix is coming. Can't believe I missed that.
Super shotgun works, but seems kinda boring, plus no firing sound.
The SSG, as it turns out, is really buggy and needs some fixing. I did some alterations and mixed some stuff up, oops.
Nailgun works fine too, but maybe slightly faster speeds? If a more sharper sound can be found too, thats alright, but it's fine nonetheless.
I tried it at faster speeds, but all that did was make the Nailgun unbelievably overpowered.
Super nailgun seems to big for its size. Much too much like a minigun, whereas the super nailgun from the quakes were sorta like a small minigun. Plus, whats with the insta-full spin when switching? Also, full cooldown after a short shot can be a bit annoying.
The insta-spin you're experiencing is because you cheated for it instead of picking it up. <.< I'm gonna redo this one a whole bunch, though, and it'll work much differently...
GL is fun to use, especially because of the random pitch changes, and the sprites are fine too. It just needs a muzzle fire, and maybe a different kick back. Him holding it to the side real quick and then going back? It just feels odd.
I'll look into changing the kickback slightly. It didn't seem odd when I did it, but it does now, so. I'm not sure why the sound is missing.
BFG seems kinda lame. Overused sprites, same attack projectiles as plasma pistol, and stock bfg sounds are kinda lame.
We'll see, then...
Back pack seems kinda large for the amount of ammo it brings, others are alright.
Scale property, away!
I like how the more damage you take, the slower you go.
Actually, all it does is disable running if you have 20% health or lower. It's a Playerclass property from Strife, and as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to start implementing it in everything of mine.
It's just a beta, but it's on the right tracks, and can't wait to see the new weapons. Maybe doom 1 support? Here's to hoping so, because it feels more fitting in doom 1. Here's some better shotgun pick up sprites for ya.
Isn't Doom 1 supported? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be...
Kinsie wrote:I made a little tweak of this. If you don't want me to do this, tell me and I'll take it down. If you want to use any of it, go ahead.
No, go right ahead! And thanks for the Q2 armour shard pickup sound--I wanted to use it, but couldn't find it anywhere...
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hehe, I took a run through this and it's pretty neat so far. The new shotgun is great and nailguns rule, but I still have a few concerns though.

- Some of the weapons don't show up -- the original Chaingun and Super Shotgun can still be picked up. Brush up on the "replaces" keyword in DECORATE. It helps a lot.

- Grenades are a bit strange. I actually kinda like how they have no gravity (trippy++), (and I hate to say it) but the current grenade sprites just don't cut it (ugly Quake 'nades :( ). Also, considering its fire rate, the weapon is simply too overpowered and out-classes anything in the rest of the mod. I know it's in beta stages and the balance isn't right yet, but as it stands, it's simply too "good". Image

- Chaingunner grenades don't do any damage. Odd. Just don't make 'em *too* explosively-powerful -- maybe take out any radius damage and make Chaingunner 'nades impact-only?

- The plasma gun is really good but as it stands you get *far* too much cell ammo. Either decrease the max amount of cells and pickup amounts or increase the gun's consumption. 'Tis a powerful weapon, and we don't want it to be abused. ;) Also, Eriance re-released his plasmagun sprites and the new ones look much better IMO. Perhaps you could use those instead?

- BFG is useless. It kills me every time I fire it. :(

- You might want to consider reversing the order of the shotguns and nailguns. it bugs me a little when the less powerful weapon is on top (selected first). That extra keystroke often spells doom.

Enough of the complaininating though. Here's some stuff I liked:

- Shotgun. Somehow it feels so great. The sprites rule, and being slow and powerful, it's much different than any other shotgun. Great fun to use, it is. The only thing is, I think it could use a beefier firing sound, considering how much power is behind it. It sounds a little wimpy as it stands.
- Nine Inch Nails ammo box sprites. Image
- Nailguns in general. Bloody hell, it's fun to rip through tons of enemies at once. Image

Anyhow, this is a great start, I have to say! It's always good to see new faces in the weapon modding game, and I hope that things only get better from here. Have fun with this, I say!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Doom 1 support as in able to pick up the ssg replacement.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Xaser wrote:- Some of the weapons don't show up -- the original Chaingun and Super Shotgun can still be picked up. Brush up on the "replaces" keyword in DECORATE. It helps a lot.
I'm aware of the Replaces keyword. Seems like I fucked up and didn't use it in all the places I meant to, though. Whoops.
- Grenades are a bit strange. I actually kinda like how they have no gravity (trippy++), (and I hate to say it) but the current grenade sprites just don't cut it (ugly Quake 'nades :( ). Also, considering its fire rate, the weapon is simply too overpowered and out-classes anything in the rest of the mod. I know it's in beta stages and the balance isn't right yet, but as it stands, it's simply too "good". Image
I've been wrestling with the gravity of the grenades since I implemented them--for some reason I just could never get anything I was really happy with. The current 'bounce around tons' method is pretty cool, though.

I've been considering drawing entirely-new grenade sprites (couldn't be *too* hard, right?) to use, though.

I think part of the balance is really that there's not too much ammo for it just laying around--I may make the Rocket box give you less ammo too just to help balance it.
- Chaingunner grenades don't do any damage. Odd. Just don't make 'em *too* explosively-powerful -- maybe take out any radius damage and make Chaingunner 'nades impact-only?
Weird--I was sure these had damage.
- The plasma gun is really good but as it stands you get *far* too much cell ammo. Either decrease the max amount of cells and pickup amounts or increase the gun's consumption. 'Tis a powerful weapon, and we don't want it to be abused. ;) Also, Eriance re-released his plasmagun sprites and the new ones look much better IMO. Perhaps you could use those instead?
I've been thinking about this, too. I wondered if I should up the consumption rate, but that would defeat the purpose of having single-ammo units in the first place. Unless I put in that odd Cell shield thing from Q2...
- BFG is useless. It kills me every time I fire it. :(
Really? It's certainly possible to kill yourself with it IIRC, but I dunno about 'every time.'
- You might want to consider reversing the order of the shotguns and nailguns. it bugs me a little when the less powerful weapon is on top (selected first). That extra keystroke often spells doom.
I prefer the lesser weapon being on top, myself, because I tend to use the regular Shotgun moreso than the SSG (and the same goes with the Nailgun). It occurs to me, though, that I've actually got enough spaces here to spread it all out over more keys--so problem solved.
- Shotgun. Somehow it feels so great. The sprites rule, and being slow and powerful, it's much different than any other shotgun. Great fun to use, it is. The only thing is, I think it could use a beefier firing sound, considering how much power is behind it. It sounds a little wimpy as it stands.
I know! For some reason, it's like, my favourite gun ever.
- Nine Inch Nails ammo box sprites. Image
I had to be true to Quake, plus I really like NIN, so. :P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”