Star Wars: Chibi Rebellion 6.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
UltimateLorenzo

Re: Star Wars: Chibi Rebellion 5.1

Post by UltimateLorenzo »

D'oh so simple but really no way to understand how to.

I don't know if i'm [censored word] or other people had this problem.

Thank you very much ! ! !
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Took awhile but I got it when my Guardian Remote helped me to figure that out.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

UltimateLorenzo wrote:I don't know if i'm [censored word] or other people had this problem.
I used Lego Star Wars as the inspiration for many of the puzzle elements. It helps to have familiarity with that game series.
Project Dark Fox wrote:Took awhile but I got it when my Guardian Remote helped me to figure that out.
Which reminds me, I need to flag the CLL8 as something the remote shouldn't attack as well.
UltimateLorenzo

LilWhiteMouse wrote: I used Lego Star Wars as the inspiration for many of the puzzle elements. It helps to have familiarity with that game series.
It is a game which i didn't play.

BTW, now i'm stuck in map 96. Where can i find the navigation card :-( ? One thing i don't like in these levels is that often it is not clear if the solution of the puzzles is within the level or in another level of the hub.

EDIT: ok i found it.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

UltimateLorenzo wrote:One thing i don't like in these levels is that often it is not clear if the solution of the puzzles is within the level or in another level of the hub.
All puzzles are solved within their respective map. The only exception being the red and blue keycards, and their gates.

[EDIT] Interest seems to have waned so I'm gonna hold off uploading a new version until I have enough maps for eight episodes. ATM the only real changes are the texture replacements I've done so far, and some other graphics tweaks/improvements.

Some ideas I toyed with, but ultimately discounted.
Make the hubs non-linear (IE: get either keycard first). I felt that would be too drastic a change though, and only confuse players even more.
Copy the weapons system of Saint's Row 2. SR2 had a variety of weapons, but you could only carry one type of each (IE 1 pistol, 1 SMG, 1 shotgun, etc). In the end, this would over complicate things though.
Add a more interactive droid helper. Something you could build yourself, akin to the Jawa's monster droid, using parts you pick up in the maps. The remote guardian is useful, but doesn't upset gameplay balance. If I added something like this, it'd have the potential to seriously upset difficulty, letting you sit back while it did the grunt work. I also felt that doing this would feel too much like a copy of Lethal Alliance's Zeeo.
UltimateLorenzo

I found a fatal error, and this time i think it's not my fault ;-)

I was playing map 24, when i exited the map zdoom ended the map with the error:

"unable to open map "map57".

Checking the wad file with xwe i found that maps 57, 58 and 59 are not present.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

UltimateLorenzo wrote:"unable to open map "map57"
As mentioned in the first post, this is a known 5.0 bug. Have you downloaded 5.1? It should be fixed in that version.
paradox_tn

Post by paradox_tn »

I love your mod! Most creative and Beautiful! For myself I manage to get the death sequences to stay when killed back of your previous 4.9 before, but new version now 5.0 hehe I redo only the popup helmets deaths of any instead of disappearing, to be honest...it reminds me that I've been their before because oh yeah I've been here already not loosing track. I rather have then stay when its characters are dead you know what I mean?...hehe, I change a little only that my own, everything else is great, keep it up! :D
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Does this wad have an ending...I seem to be repeating maps from episode VIII (which was introduced as a second VII on the intermission screen) onwards.
LilWhiteMouse wrote:
UltimateLorenzo wrote:"unable to open map "map57"
As mentioned in the first post, this is a known 5.0 bug. Have you downloaded 5.1? It should be fixed in that version.
Copying the map from 5.1 into 5.0 worked for me. (playing 5.0 for newstuff)
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Does this wad have an ending...
No, no ending. Don't expect anyone to stick with it that long. There's only enough filler maps for 7 unique episodes before it starts reusing maps. I think there are 12 final missions though.
The Ultimate DooMer

Some of us like to play things to completion :P (esp star wars fans like myself)

I'll put a review up once DW's automated system lets me reclaim it (stupid limit of 2)...but I loved it once I got the hang of things. (suggestions will come here too after)

(btw I think I got Forest about 2-3 times out of 4 from episodes 8-11)
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:(btw I think I got Forest about 2-3 times out of 4 from episodes 8-11)
I'll take a look at the code. I suspect the purge that gets done when a map group is used up is screwing up the detection.

[EDIT] I think I found the problem. At one point I moved most of the map selection code to the Chibi Base map to improve randomization. The ACS to check the map pool against the map history was left behind though, and never got updated. Also, Iapparently set it up to debug something using the Forest map, and never fixed it, so that further buggered it up. Fixed??
The Ultimate DooMer

There seems to be 11 missions altogether, as I got repeats on those too once I hit number 12. Anyway, some thoughts:

(spoilered to prevent wall of text)
Spoiler: Things I loved:
Spoiler: Things I didn't
Spoiler: Suggestions
It's easily one of the most clever, addictive and interesting mods I've played for ages...I'd love to see it get even better.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Did you ever play Yoda Stories? Much of what I've done was based on it, using it as a general rule of thumb.
There seems to be 11 missions altogether, as I got repeats on those too once I hit number 12.
This must be a bug then, I just checked and there are 12.
Lack of a difficulty curve...it became too easy after a while, especially with the shield generator.
I never expected anyone to stick with it long enough to become an issue. The only thing that addresses this is the ability for Mydia and DarkTroopers to appear in normal maps after they've been encountered in final maps, but it's not very common. I considered doing this for the giant Wampa as well, but decided against it.
Lack of an ending...more on this in suggestions below.
I brought this up a year ago, but no one commented so I felt it was best to leave it as is.
A friend suggested that I should tie some of the missions together in a loose story arc (completing mission x unlocks mission y), with a final mission that kicks the empire off Nothoth, and actually ends the game. I'm not sure though, Chibi Rebellion was always meant to be a "pick up and play" type game, but I told her I would think about it.
Ammo can still be picked up when you're at full capacity.
This was done intentionally. If you're already to the point your weapon(s) are full, chances are you don't need to worry about ammo conservation. It was initially done because I abhor leaving things laying around.
The starting maps (your house, rebel outpost, cantina, detention block) get recycled much earlier than the rest.
There's only five starting maps (Jaiyl's home has three variations). I never felt it was inappropriate to re-use the cantina or detention center maps, seemed like logical starting points. I could try to randomize the cantina level to be more HQuest like.
More types of those little puzzles...those are neat and it makes it feel like she's more than just a soldier. (eg. pushable things, they're easy to implement with +PUSHABLE)
I have the remnants of a power re-routing puzzle that was to be used in the Adessa hub, I just haven't found a Chibi Rebellion map that I can build around it. As it happens this is also the map I intend to use Rianna and Zeeo.
I don't like the pushable flag. With Doom's physics, it's more like bumping a giant bouncy ball. That's why I scripted the push/pull system I use now.
Perhaps more enemies in certain maps (eg. more important imperial buildings), when fighting it really feels like you're in a proper Star Wars battle...but often it ends too soon.
I've been trying to address this as I've gone over the maps. This is a FPS, you're supposed to have things to shoot at. Many of the first generation (pre-ZDoom) maps are just so small, I can't put many enemies in them. I try to expand them when I have reason to work on them, but it's a long term project.
The Ultimate DooMer

LilWhiteMouse wrote:A friend suggested that I should tie some of the missions together in a loose story arc (completing mission x unlocks mission y), with a final mission that kicks the empire off Nothoth, and actually ends the game. I'm not sure though, Chibi Rebellion was always meant to be a "pick up and play" type game, but I told her I would think about it.
That could work - after all, you said it yourself that you didn't expect many to stick with it for that long...so those people get the random selection of missions like it is now (say, 2/3 to 3/4 of however many there are) which retains the pick-up-and-play thing, then those who play further get some more advanced missions (that comes with a message saying that we're winning the battle against the empire and are pushing further etc.) and if they keep going they get the final mission to kick the empire out.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”