Lizard Squad: A cartoony ZDoom mod - Version 5.2b release!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Lizard Squad: A cartoony ZDoom mod - Version 5.2a releas

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Gotcha. Anyway, I have been playing the mod a bit and I have to say, it is quite fun! There are some issues, but since you claim to be done with the mod, I do not think they are worth expresisng.

In any case, I look forward to whatever spiritual successor you come with.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:There are some issues, but since you claim to be done with the mod, I do not think they are worth expresisng.
I vote that you express them. In fact, if LizardCommando sanctions it, I would possibly be willing to volunteer some time to address them, myself. LC and I had briefly chatted before about one or two things I was interested in implementing, so perhaps I could roll them all in there?
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Gotcha. Anyway, I have been playing the mod a bit and I have to say, it is quite fun! There are some issues, but since you claim to be done with the mod, I do not think they are worth expresisng.

In any case, I look forward to whatever spiritual successor you come with.
Go ahead with your statement. Why else would I have made that post?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:There are some issues, but since you claim to be done with the mod, I do not think they are worth expresisng.
It is done, but remember the second chance. When he has it and wants it, we can express it once more.

Anyway good ol' times! I just remember the day i played this fun mod and... Made my own version, shamelessly. But not anymore man. I also drew some fan art for this mod, i pretty felt good while drawing them.

So my long-desired suggestion for this mod is, replace some of the low quality sound effects like i did in my own version. While this mod has some good fitting sound effects, others are not. No, i'm not talking about the voices. They still good to hear.

And about getting rid of classes while you like few of them, why not less them into 2~3 classes? Exterminator is protagonist of this mod, right?
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

I still play this mod on a very regular basis. In fact, it's pretty much the only way I play Chex Quest (thanks to Ed the Bat).

I'll keep my thoughts short. I agree with pretty much everything you said with regards to improvements. Sharpen up the weapons and animations, replace your 'acquired' assets and cut out some of the redundant weapons.

Official CQ support would be great too. It'd almost be like Brutal Doom for CQ. :P

I once tried replacing the CQ billboards and portraits with some of Captain J's artwork but I failed miserably. I just couldn't get the WAD to load (I'm beyond crap when it comes to this kind of thing). I'd love to see someone with a brain take a shot at that.

To my mind CQ and LS are perfect compliments and their respective worlds merge really well. So, in saying that, if you do decide to make maps for your mod, I'd like to suggest you make them for Chex Quest. After all, that game could do with some loving too. :)

EDIT: I'd just like to add that my pupils love this mod too! :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just dropping in to say that I too am a fan of Lizard Squad. I've watched it progress from a very early stage when, initially, I wasn't even sure how serious a mod it was meant to be, to this really quite fully featured and very original fun way to play Doom. I agree with the various points you (lizardcommando) have made about the mod and I always hoped that you might address some of those at some point but, either way, it's a great little mod that gives me, and many others, loads of fun. Thanks.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i haven't played this mod in a long while, but i recall it being quite a good time last i played it. my chief complaints about the game were probably the way the shotgun reloading was handled, and the amount of hitscanners turning the difficulty up quite a bit, but otherwise it was a charming mod and always fun to have it get new things added to it (i still remember when it got the new Cyberdemon and Mastermind replacements, that was really wacky cool stuff).
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Hipnotic Rogue wrote:I once tried replacing the CQ billboards and portraits with some of Captain J's artwork but I failed miserably. I just couldn't get the WAD to load (I'm beyond crap when it comes to this kind of thing). I'd love to see someone with a brain take a shot at that.
Thanks for mentioning my ol' artworks! It is quite easy drawing even with mspaint, my oldest favorite tool. :P
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Captain J wrote:
Hipnotic Rogue wrote:I once tried replacing the CQ billboards and portraits with some of Captain J's artwork but I failed miserably. I just couldn't get the WAD to load (I'm beyond crap when it comes to this kind of thing). I'd love to see someone with a brain take a shot at that.
Thanks for mentioning my ol' artworks! It is quite easy drawing even with mspaint, my oldest favorite tool. :P
You're welcome. I really liked your LS art. It was also kinda cool seeing this 'little' mod get some fan art. :)

If you've any more I'd love to see it.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

lizardcommando wrote:Go ahead with your statement. Why else would I have made that post?
So far, it is just really minor things, like the mugshot looking less like a lizard and more like a non-neurotic Salad Fingers - as any lizard character sprite when facing the screen, for that matter - or health bonuses looking like hand grenades.

I think there might be way too many weapons. With the Trooper alone, I got, what, three pistols? I am also not a fan of characters starting with a full set of armour and extra health. Most vanilla-compatible mapsets out there are already very generous in terms of supplies.

Maybe a custom soundtrack would be nice too. Upon hearing C&C Commando voice clips, I felt like listening to Frank Klepacki soundtracks, e.g. Renegade.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Upon hearing C&C Commando voice clips...
I still remember suggesting and supplying those soundbytes to LC. I felt they were a major improvement, as the enemies now sound more like "Argh, I'm a soldier!" and less "Waah, I'm an asthmatic pre-teen!" like before. The ejected mech pilot still has that voice, though, which is a good fit since he's supposed to be basically a helpless weakling.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

As textures I recommend using mspaint doom texture pack.
Spoiler:
The mod uses many sounds from different games. I would like to see the full credit list for this.
Spoiler:
Is this an attempt to prohibit the use of stolen content, right?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Since I mentioned it, I realized I should at least make this publicly available: Smooth Enemies for Lizard Squad. Even if there won't be any more official releases or updates, at least people should be able to use this if they want it. I hadn't even gotten around to showing it to LC for his opinions/approval. It makes enemies move more smoothly, though it won't improve their animations; no new frames are added. Anyone familiar with my contributions to wildweasel's mods, or to Blade of Agony or Stronghold ought to be familiar with this mechanic. Everything else in the game should be the same, except this also fixes a bug I only just now noticed with the Raise animation of the heavy gunner. And yes, it should work with Chex Quest.

As usual, if anything is broken, let me know.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Doomenator wrote:
The mod uses many sounds from different games. I would like to see the full credit list for this.
Spoiler:
Is this an attempt to prohibit the use of stolen content, right?
That was mostly in regards to the blatantly obvious MS Paint sprites I created. I get where you're coming from though. I didn't really document my sources when I started the mod back in 2005 unfortunately.

quote="JohnnyTheWolf"]
lizardcommando wrote:Go ahead with your statement. Why else would I have made that post?

So far, it is just really minor things, like the mugshot looking less like a lizard and more like a non-neurotic Salad Fingers - as any lizard character sprite when facing the screen, for that matter - or health bonuses looking like hand grenades.

I think there might be way too many weapons. With the Trooper alone, I got, what, three pistols? I am also not a fan of characters starting with a full set of armour and extra health. Most vanilla-compatible mapsets out there are already very generous in terms of supplies.

Maybe a custom soundtrack would be nice too. Upon hearing C&C Commando voice clips, I felt like listening to Frank Klepacki soundtracks, e.g. Renegade.
The majority of the sprites were made way back in the mods early days. Many things were left unchanged but I realize that they were due for an overhaul. I just never got around to making those changes.

Also, I definitely agree with the weapons and items list being too large. That's an issue I am happy I was able to work out in a different mod I worked on lol. I kinda regret adding that Assault Shotgun in the last update despite the animations and sprites looking better than the combat shotgun. Classes were definitely something that really didn't need to be added in the end. I sort of neglected on doing any further work to ensure full compatibility in multiplayer/coop modes. Probably should have stuck with making them as simple player skins instead.

As far as custom soundtrack goes, I left that up to the players' own discretion. I personally turned off the in game music, opened winamp and played my own music there and left it on in the background.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

a little tip if you're going to make a sequel to this mod would be to make the enemies less aggressive. i remember now that my chief complaint with the mod was its insane difficulty due to the sheer amount of hitscanners and how they can attack you faster than you can react, which can make certain levels an absolute deathtrap if the enemy gets the drop on you. if they still should fire pretty fast though, then at least they could have fast-moving projectile attacks instead of hitscans. that'd give you an opportunity to properly dodge their fire. i think that is what ultimately dragged this mod down a bit for me.

it's still a lot of fun to play though, and i actually liked how many guns there were in the mod, even though it probably would've been smarter to have less guns that are more useful overall (the magazine sizes are a bit too thin and they're often very inaccurate).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”