Lizard Squad: A cartoony ZDoom mod - Version 5.2b release!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Lizard Squad: A cartoony ZDoom mod - Beta 1 release

Postby cq75 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:51 pm

I just played through a few Doom 2 maps and some on Plutonia and TNT. The weapons feel solid, and I had a good time playing it.

your text file wrote: *The Revolver is a bit buggy. Reloading doesn't really work. Can someone help me out with this?

The cowboy revolver emptied out the whole clip, the other revolver was able to put one bullet in at a time. Both reload sequences worked, but the sprites made it look like that should be reversed, is that what you meant?

your text file wrote:*The Charge Blaster can still shoot its charged shots even when you have no ammo. Can someone help me fix this?

sure, it's an easy fix. All you have to do is change some things about how your weapon uses ammo

Delete your old weapon.ammotype and weapon.ammouse properties and put this in

Code: Select allExpand view
  weapon.ammotype1 "EnergenRod"
  weapon.ammotype2 "EnergenRod"
  weapon.ammouse1 1 // the weapon uses one ammo of type "EnergenRod" if it's not charged
  weapon.ammouse2 <amount you want it to use for the charge shot here>

You do have to set both ammotypes.

NOTE - if you want it to take a different amount of ammo depending on how charged up the weapon is, use "weapon.ammouse2 0" and use A_TakeInventory("Energenrod",<amount you want taken away here>) inside of the charged up firing states. Put one of those in each charge level state with the ammo you want it to use.

Let me know if you need more help. I don't know anything about cast calls, but I'm good with DECORATE.

My favorite classes are the spec ops and the cowboy class.

-The magnum is really well done, it has good looking sprites (for what you're trying to do) and it's powerful.
- the spec ops class actually allows you to be pretty stealthy, it's rare for that to be done well in doom
- Thank you for not slowing down the player!
- Nice sounds. I recognize some of these as rips, but they fit well.

An easy bug:

One of your zombie replacement enemies still makes the zombie see sound, I don't know which one that was.

EDIT - I figured it out. You forgot to replace one or more of the zombie see sounds, there's more than one. Instead of replacing existing sounds, it might be easier to just declare your sound in SNDINFO and use SeeSound <yoursound> in the monsters that use that sound.

Trickier weapon bugs:

- If you reload the double wielded uzis, you should probably have reloaded the single wield uzi. This might be easy, I think you could do it by just having the ammo in the clip of the uzis use the same ammo. I've never made a mod that uses reloading, so I'm not sure.

-the revolver's reload sequence for the cowboy doesn't really look like he's taking any bullets out or putting any bullets in

suggestions:

- having the weapons at least partially loaded when you pick them up would be nice
- An auto reload for the shotgun and sawn off would be nice. Also, dual sawn offs and double revolvers/pistols? :)
- Perhaps the double uzis'/uzi reload sequence a little faster? it seems pretty lax, especially for a combat situation.
- A bigger clip for the silenced assault rifle (spec ops), or make it able to fire one shot at a time. The second shot usually gets wasted if I aim well.
cq75
I've given myself a number, and taken away my name.

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby lizardcommando » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:37 pm

The cowboy revolver emptied out the whole clip, the other revolver was able to put one bullet in at a time. Both reload sequences worked, but the sprites made it look like that should be reversed, is that what you meant?

You can still reload the Cowboy Lizard's Revolver even with a full clip in the gun. Also, when you have 2-5 bullets in the clip, you still empty out entire clip and put in 6 bullets, regardless of how many bullets you have left in the clip.

One of your zombie replacement enemies still makes the zombie see sound, I don't know which one that was.

I believe you mean the Military Officer, Shotgunner, SMG Trooper, and Bazooka Guy. Yes, I am aware that they don't have their see sounds changed. I've been trying to find some see sounds that sound very, very close to the Metal Slug enemy soldier sounds.

-the revolver's reload sequence for the cowboy doesn't really look like he's taking any bullets out or putting any bullets in

I think I know what you mean. I probably should have drawn a frame where there's a bullet in the player's hand. It probably would have smoothed out the animation as well...

- having the weapons at least partially loaded when you pick them up would be nice

Even though having the weapons half loaded would be a nice thing to do, I just realized that it would be kind of weird having ammo all of a sudden appearing in your magazine when you just pick up the guns.

- An auto reload for the shotgun and sawn off would be nice.

I think the Sawn Off technically has an auto-reload. Just press the fire button and you should automatically go into the reload state.

Also, dual sawn offs and double revolvers/pistols? :)

As tempting as it is... nah. No more new weapons.

- Perhaps the double uzis'/uzi reload sequence a little faster? it seems pretty lax, especially for a combat situation.

I think the 9MM SMG's reload speed is fine, but I guess I can increase the reload speed for the akimbo SMGs and the Machinepistols.

- A bigger clip for the silenced assault rifle (spec ops), or make it able to fire one shot at a time. The second shot usually gets wasted if I aim well.

Personally, I think the Silenced TMP is fine as it is in terms of its magazine size. Seeing as it's silenced, plus you also have a silenced pistol in your arsenal, I think that balances things out a bit.
lizardcommando
Thread killer

Postby cq75 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:13 am

lizardcommando wrote:

You can still reload the Cowboy Lizard's Revolver even with a full clip in the gun. Also, when you have 2-5 bullets in the clip, you still empty out entire clip and put in 6 bullets, regardless of how many bullets you have left in the clip.

try this, I tested it pretty extensively and I couldn't get it to glitch out. Don't forget to put the Spent Bullet Inventory item in there too. (I changed things in states other than the reload code, so make sure you copy/paste the whole thing to try it out)

Spoiler:

Even though having the weapons half loaded would be a nice thing to do, I just realized that it would be kind of weird having ammo all of a sudden appearing in your magazine when you just pick up the guns.

it's pretty likely the enemy holding the gun didn't have an empty clip. :wink:

- An auto reload for the shotgun and sawn off would be nice.

I think the Sawn Off technically has an auto-reload. Just press the fire button and you should automatically go into the reload state.

you're right, it's the standard shotgun that doesn't have an automatic reload.
Last edited by cq75 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cq75

Postby pieceofpiesoftware » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:08 pm

you used one of Eric Harris levels in the video?
pieceofpiesoftware
Banned User

Postby lizardcommando » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Yes, I did. So? In fact, I did a play through of UACLABS once using this mod.
lizardcommando
Thread killer

Postby lizardcommando » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:07 pm

cq75 wrote:

it's pretty likely the enemy holding the gun didn't have an empty clip. :wink:

Hmm, you do have a point. If anyone else wants me to change that, let me know.

Oh yeah, I tried out the new code for the revolver reloading and it works out great. The only problem is that it seems to be missing some frames. These frames are supposed to be

Code: Select allExpand view
REVR: HFEDCBA

I think those frames are supposed to be when the hand lowers down and then goes to the animation sequence where the player puts the bullets into the revolver in order to make that transition go smoother rather than have it instantly jump from the emptying bullets animation to the loading bullets into the gun animation.
lizardcommando
Thread killer

Postby DoomSplitter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:26 pm

The mspaint graphics wouldn't bother me as much if they didn't stand out. Ever thought about replacing the textures?
DoomSplitter
Cacospray FTW!

Postby XutaWoo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:54 pm

He is. And has, for some of them.
XutaWoo
one day when going to see the rabbit, there was a previous visitor ...

Postby lizardcommando » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:29 pm

DoomSplitter wrote:The mspaint graphics wouldn't bother me as much if they didn't stand out. Ever thought about replacing the textures?

Yes, I am. I've got roughly 220 textures replaced so far. It's a suggestion that has been brought up countless times before.
lizardcommando
Thread killer

Postby Sodaholic » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Perhaps you should release the texture wad along with the main mod? Even if it's not complete, it's better than nothing.

I have a lot of free time, and would be willing to help. Would you like me to help finish the texture wad? :)
Sodaholic
Banned User

Postby cq75 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:06 pm

I added those frames. They are in a state called "LoadBullets", which goes down into "LoadBulletsLoop". You might want to adjust the frame durations.

Also, I made it so he doesn't reach up and cock the weapon if there aren't any bullets in the chamber. Not a huge deal, but it saves you about a second of wasted time. 8-)

Spoiler:
cq75

Postby lizardcommando » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:33 pm

Thank you for fixing the revolver! That's how I wanted it to act like in the first place! :D

@Sodaholic I'm going to try and add in some more textures on my own for now. Once I get a bunch more done, then I'll go ahead and upload a public demo of it.
lizardcommando
Thread killer

Postby bleant » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:45 pm

I'm surprised with how much I liked this mod, nice work there! I have no complaints to make.
bleant
Time Goes on, do we?

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:55 pm

bleant wrote:I'm surprised with how much I liked this mod, nice work there!

Y'know, there's something to be said about reimagining the brutal action in Doom as conducted by a bunch of very serious-sounding cute little lizard guys. :D

Anyway, bug report: rocket launcher's cut off in widescreen.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby cq75 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:09 pm

A couple really minor changes to the reload sequence (both taking bullets out and putting bullets in) to make it a little bit smoother:

EDIT
I noticed another error, if you reloaded and ran out of bullets, it skipped the RevCock: state and briefly showed no sprite at all. I fixed it in the following code.

EDIT2

I noticed a few more bugs, I'm going to have to test this more. There's a really minor glitch that happens if you dump out the spent bullets when you don't have any ammo, then load it later on. I think I fixed it, but I'm going to test it more tomorrow to make sure it works.

Other things:

I recommend having more frames for the shaking bullets out and putting bullets in, his hand just kind of flashes from one spot to another in those reload states.

Also, showing some bullets falling from the chambers of the revolver in the frames involving emptying the chambers would make it look better. [there must be a better way to word that...]
Last edited by cq75 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
cq75

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods