Quake 2 Blaster for ZDoom

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Quake 2 Blaster for ZDoom

Post by Remmirath »

Here I am with another little project...
I say "little" because I'm quite new to DECORATE and ACS, but...

Now I ported the Quake 2 Blaster into ZDoom, but I don't know if it already exists;
if so, then tell me...

As always, simple DECORATE functions, but good functionality.

To add it, simply write in the console:

give q2blaster

Quick bugfix: now the weapon has infinite ammo :D

Here it is:
Tell me what do you think about...
Attachments
q2blas.wad
Quake 2 Blaster
(39.78 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
MG_Man

Re: Quake 2 Blaster for ZDoom

Post by MG_Man »

I would rather that it spewed out little 'particles' ala Q2 even though it may be choppy, rather than using a rail for it.
Cheeseball

Post by Cheeseball »

Hmm... yeah... I like this. I hope in the near future it would be possible for you to make it a projectile weapon just like in Q2 instead of hitscan? But good attempt!
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Cheeseball wrote:Hmm... yeah... I like this. I hope in the near future it would be possible for you to make it a projectile weapon just like in Q2 instead of hitscan? But good attempt!
Considering that I'm quite new to this, do you know what could I use to make it as a projectile, like Quake 2?
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

§-Morpheus-§ wrote:Considering that I'm quite new to this, do you know what could I use to make it as a projectile, like Quake 2?
I don't remember exactly what it looked like in q2, but the first frame of the bulletpuff might work well... I've used it as a flare before.
Cheeseball

Post by Cheeseball »

I think you should use an Arachno... Spider Masterminds baby's (Sorry, I forgot how to say its name. :oops:) plasma ball sprite as a base first. Your particle trail is dead-on, so all you need to do now is integrate that trail onto the projectile plasma ball. Later on, when you're skilled enough, you can work on fixing the weapon framess and making your own laser bolt (for this, I suggest using the rocket sprites as a base since they're almost shaped the same). Good luck with this!
MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

Hey, not a bad start for someone new! There's a few problems though. One is that there's no A_Light0, so the lighting doesn't get reset when you fire it and everything is still bright. Also the animation could use an extra frame or two so it doesn't look so jerky. And finally using DSPICK is redundant since that sound is already in Doom, its under SNDINFO as "misc/w_pkup"

As far as using a projectile for the blaster shot, its possible but unless you edit the game's source code or something you would have to use stuff like 1 pixel big sprites for a Q2 style particle trail. :P
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

I hope this isn't constreud as advertising, but: http://tremor.quakedev.com/arqlite2.html. This enhances the graphics engine Quake 2 uses, and makes the blaster bolt look quite good: http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... oltkd7.jpg.

If you get a sprite that looks like the bolt, I could really use something like it for one of my mods, lol.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Good job for a person who is new at this. :)
Cheeseball wrote:Arachno...
Arachnotron.
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

MasterOFDeath wrote:Hey, not a bad start for someone new! There's a few problems though. One is that there's no A_Light0, so the lighting doesn't get reset when you fire it and everything is still bright. Also the animation could use an extra frame or two so it doesn't look so jerky. And finally using DSPICK is redundant since that sound is already in Doom, its under SNDINFO as "misc/w_pkup"
Corrected all the bugs.
Now it's much better:
It now has A_Light0, and the light resets.
I used "misc/w_pkup" in SNDINFO lump
I added one more sprite: now it's more serious.

But the attack is still a rail

Here it is:
Attachments
q2blas.wad
Quake 2 Blaster v1.12
(39.88 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Last edited by Remmirath on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That's really quite a nice rip. Personally, I always remember the original as being a bit slow and not a very good weapon. If you want to emulate it faithfully, a projectile, rather than the rail, would be better because the rail is just too fast. A fast moving projectile leaving a trail of custom puffs would be more like the original - or like some of the ones from the modern, enhanced quake2 engines. You'd also be able to have the "tsss" sound when the projectile hits something.

Another thing I noticed, if you press fire, it makes a loud noise but if you hold fire, subsequent blasts are quieter - is this intentional.
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Enjay wrote: Another thing I noticed, if you press fire, it makes a loud noise but if you hold fire, subsequent blasts are quieter - is this intentional.
Uh, I noticed it, too. Could you correct this little bug? I dunno how to do it...
Cheeseball

Post by Cheeseball »

Hmm... when firing, it still doesn't light up the level like the other weapons do...
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Cheeseball wrote:Hmm... when firing, it still doesn't light up the level like the other weapons do...
Now it does...
Download it again...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That's because it calls A_Light2 and A_Light0 in a series of consecutive 0 length frames so both pointers are executed in the same tic and the level isn't noticeably lit.

something like this gives a brief flash

Code: Select all

RPIS A 0 A_Light2
   	RPIS A 0 A_Playsound("weapons/pistfire")
   	RPIS A 0 A_GunFlash
   	RPIS A 0 A_RailAttack(10,10,1,none, "FB A7 00")
   	RPIS A 2
   	RPIS T 2 A_Light0
   	RPIS F 2
   	RPIS T 2
   	RPIS A 10
   	Goto Ready
That allows a couple of tics of brightness before resetting.

[edit]Dammit, you fixed it whilst I was typing. :P ;) [/edit]

On the sound thing, the sound gets muted when it tries to play a second instance of the sound before the first one has finished (which wasn't quite how I thought it worked, but it seems to be in this case). Therefor you need to tell Zdoom to not restrict the instances of weapons/pistfire as low as it currently is. You can put a different value if you like but adding the following to your SNDINFO will stop Zdoom limiting the number of instances for the sound all together.

Code: Select all

$limit	weapons/pistfire	0
I tried it and it certainly worked for me. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”