The Mutiny Mod pilot release

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Mutiny Mod pilot release

Post by Woolie Wool »

Vaecrius wrote:Just a couple thoughts after playing this with RetroEp...

- On E1M4 I managed to get stuck at a point where you had to run across a large gap onto a platform but I was at 19 health and nothing lying around.

- If you make the medikit and the hand grenades weapons, you could get around the problem of keeping them between levels without any additional ACS.

- So, uh... any sorta plans to get the player to start with a ranged weapon of some sort? Seems kinda odd on such short notice the player has always managed to get a couple grenades but not a pistol...

I'll probably put that into the next release. I always liked the part at the beginning of RTC-3057 where you find the pistol in the little locker for some reason and it inspired me to put in a fist start.

As far as the medikit and the hand grenades being selectable weapons, I didn't want to do that as it would force you to change away from your current weapon to use them, which wastes time and exposes you to additional enemy fire.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Woolie Wool wrote:As far as the medikit and the hand grenades being selectable weapons, I didn't want to do that as it would force you to change away from your current weapon to use them...
Here's an idea kind of building on that, not sure if it is possible though... Treat grenades as ammo for an unselectable weapon. Grenade item never disappears from inventory unless grenade ammo is at 0, and activating it decrements "grenade" ammo if any is available. What do you think?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

bagheadspidey wrote:Here's an idea kind of building on that, not sure if it is possible though... Treat grenades as ammo for an unselectable weapon. Grenade item never disappears from inventory unless grenade ammo is at 0, and activating it decrements "grenade" ammo if any is available. What do you think?
Problem with that is that only people with an althud would be able to see the grenade count.

What I've done in this sort of situation is set normal inventory types (which AFAICT carry over between levels) for everything, then run a script that constantly updates the number of the custominventory item to reflect the "true" count. (Alternatively, I can have a one-time enter and one-time unload script that updates each way, but the processing power required to do this even every tic is inconsequential so I'd rather save the script numbers.) A bit clunky and less than ideal coding-wise, but it looks good on the user end.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”