The Mutiny Mod pilot release

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

The Mutiny Mod pilot release

Post by Woolie Wool »

NOTE: This requires GZDoom 1.0.29 or a recent SVN version of ZDoom due to custom skill definitions.

Bugfixed update

I was originally going to /newstuff this as it was, but I decided to get some more opinions before putting it on /idgames. The Mutiny Mod was originally going to be the base for a series of hubs, but I decided to make it a gameplay mod for regular Doom maps while retaining the potential for it to be used in its own level set. The Mutiny Mod replaces all monsters and many weapons and items, and adds some of its own that a level author could use to make a map for the Mutiny Mod. Your enemies consist of various space marines, robots, and vehicles. I wanted to make the marines a little less predictable than the typical Doom monsters. As well as shooting you, they can punch you and throw grenades, and some use A_FastChase to circle strafe you. You have a full inventory a la Heretic with carryable medikits, powerups, etc.

Perhaps rarely among gameplay mods, Mutiny actually makes maps harder. Although you'll have plenty of ammo, since the marines drop their guns when they die, and the enemies generally have less health (although the bigger robots have a lot of HP), the enemies move faster, hit harder, and many of them have hitscan attacks. Some maps, especially very large open maps or Hell Revealed type maps, may experience a greater increase in difficulty than others.

Screenshots taken in the map Jagermorder 01: Chemical Lab by Afterglow
Spoiler:
Last edited by Woolie Wool on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bagheadspidey

Re: The Mutiny Mod pilot release

Post by bagheadspidey »

download server down =(
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

bagheadspidey wrote:download server down =(
Works for me. Maybe I'll add a mirror.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Got this error with latest svn revision (revision 566)
zdoom wrote: Script error, "items" line 206:
Syntax error: Unknown identifier '}'
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

bagheadspidey wrote:Got this error with latest svn revision (revision 566)
zdoom wrote: Script error, "items" line 206:
Syntax error: Unknown identifier '}'
Shit! I thought I fixed that bug!

EDIT: Fixed now. Should work properly.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Wow, this is fun (and hard!) I still haven't passed the first level on the second hardest difficulty - the officers kicked my ass :oops: I have a few minor suggestions related to crouching and footsteps - less slide (momentum) when crouching, no footsteps when crouching, and maybe footsteps alert monsters? (i feel like the zombies at the beginning of doom2 should hear the footsteps and turn around when i walk off the platform) This looks very cool and I can't wait to see what else you've got in this wad =)
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

bagheadspidey wrote:Wow, this is fun (and hard!) I still haven't passed the first level on the second hardest difficulty - the officers kicked my ass :oops: I have a few minor suggestions related to crouching and footsteps - less slide (momentum) when crouching, no footsteps when crouching, and maybe footsteps alert monsters? (i feel like the zombies at the beginning of doom2 should hear the footsteps and turn around when i walk off the platform) This looks very cool and I can't wait to see what else you've got in this wad =)
The footsteps aren't as sophisticated as I'd like due to DECORATE limitations. I don't think that you can define a separate movement state for crouching. As for the officers, use cover and stay as far away from them as you can. If there are multiple Officers in close proximity, throw a grenade at them. Once you get an Officer's Pistol from one of them they become a bit easier to deal with, as you can fire accurately from a great distance and pin them down with the relatively high rate of fire. As for footsteps alerting monsters, I want to maintain at least some opportunity to surprise enemies. Invoking A_AlertMonsters in the walking state may be frustrating for some players.

Also, "Hero" causes you to take 50% more damage than normal. "Veteran" is UV equivalent.

Glad you liked it. :D
unknownna

Post by unknownna »

A_NoiseAlert after sound.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Woolie Wool wrote:Invoking A_AlertMonsters in the walking state may be frustrating for some players.
Yeah, you're probably right. It's just a little weird to hear yourself as you walk up behind a monster, but it can't hear you :P If crouching can't be made silent, maybe another compromise could be calling A_AlertMonsters for the fall sound? I dunno, not trying to pick apart your wad, sorry ;)

Anyway, yeah, this is fun =) having a lot of fun with doom 1 episode 1, and still cant wait to see what else you have in store :)
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

There are a whole bunch of enemy classes I couldn't fit into Doom, listed in the text file. There are things like ceiling turrets (which i hand-coded since no DECORATE code for the Strife turrets existed), power armored marines, dogs, and the absolutely terrifying heavy weapons commandoes (not like the chaingunners in Doom II--these guys are your worst nightmare. Type "summon commando" in the console and see what he does... :twisted:).

Also, the fall sound is not tied to a state, so I can't call a code pointer for that.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Fair enough.

Is your inventory supposed to be decreased to one of everything when you pass a level? I just realized I've been saving those medkits for nothing ;)
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

That is default ZDoom behavior, carried over from Heretic. To change it I would have to define an entire mapinfo, which would break many ZDoom and all Ultimate/Final Doom wads.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Woolie Wool wrote:That is default ZDoom behavior, carried over from Heretic. To change it I would have to define an entire mapinfo, which would break many ZDoom and all Ultimate/Final Doom wads.
hmm =/ I don't suppose you could convince the inventory that it is a strife inventory somehow?
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

I thnk Strife uses the mapinfo flag. I can't use that, as I could only support one Doom game, and many ZDoom wads have their own mapinfo lumps. The mapinfo is used for skill level definitions, not map flags, in Mutiny.

EDIT: Strife is a giant hub. Hubs always let you keep your inventory within the hub.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

This looks interesting. :) Downloading right now.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”