Coop Marines v1.66 - 11/11/09

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tenement Funster

Re: "Coop-Bots" Friendly decorate actors

Post by Tenement Funster »

Zippy wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:I managed to pick up all the information you stated from the first post I responded to. Your definition of a bot holds as much authority as Virgil's, while being just as meaningless as of right now.
This isn't about authority, and it isn't my definition. It's about terminology. "Bot" is an actual term, and that's how it is defined.
I'm just trying to find out where this definition comes from. You had to have gotten this information from somewhere.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Since the days of Quake, nearly all first person shooters that have had computer controlled players implemented, by third parties or otherwise, has called them bots, a term probably arbitrarily chosen by some of the first implementers of Quake bots. Hence, over nearly the past 15 years it has become the de facto term for it.

It's kind of like asking where the definition of any word comes from. The dictionary is not a correct answer because it does not define the word itself. It only gives you the definition of the word, which already exists and comes about from the evolution of language, society, and culture.
Tenement Funster

Zippy wrote:Since the days of Quake, nearly all first person shooters that have had computer controlled players implemented, by third parties or otherwise, has called them bots, a term probably arbitrarily chosen by some of the first implementers of Quake bots. Hence, over nearly the past 15 years it has become the de facto term for it.

It's kind of like asking where the definition of any word comes from. The dictionary is not a correct answer because it does not define the word itself. It only gives you the definition of the word, which already exists and comes about from the evolution of language, society, and culture.
Define
-verb
1. to state or set forth the meaning of (a word, phrase, etc.)

I don't know what's wrong with the dictionaries you are looking at, but the one I have sure does define.

A common agreeance on something does not make it right. I'm going to call these decorate actors bots until a reputable source tells me otherwise.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Tenement Funster wrote:-verb
1. to state or set forth the meaning of (a word, phrase, etc.)

I don't know what's wrong with the dictionaries you are looking at, but the one I have sure does define.

A common agreeance on something does not make it right. I'm going to call these decorate actors bots until a reputable source tells me otherwise.

Now you're just being facetious.

What I'm saying is that dictionaries do not invent the definitions of words. Culture, society, and language do that. A word doesn't suddenly exist and have a definition because it spontaneously appears inside a dictionary. Rather, the word is created first, and the put in a dictionary for record later. On that level, dictionaries do not define words, but relate the already existing definitions of them to a reader. The fact that gamer society at large has invented this word to mean something gives it a definition.

But if you really must be an ass: Dictionary.com[quote="Dictionary.com, under various definitions for "bot","]A software program that imitates the behavior of a human

Any type of autonomous software that operates as an agent for a user or a program or simulates a human activity.

An IRC or MUD user who is actually a program.[/quote]

And the coup de grâce...
Dictionary.com wrote:An AI-controlled player in a computer game (especially a first-person shooter such as Quake) which, unlike ordinary monsters, operates like a human-controlled player, with access to a player's weapons and abilities.
Emphasis mine.
Tenement Funster

Hah, what do you know. I looked up 'bot' a while ago and after 5 completely irrelevant definitions I quit on that boy.

NOW THAT IS THAT!
unknownna

Post by unknownna »

You're both right in your own ways. :)

These "bots" are technically just friendly monsters with some fancy decorate attempting to simulate other players. I think it also says so in the .txt file, but I'm not sure, heh.

Techically speaking, they aren't true bots.
They don't possess the abilities of the player (jump, crouch, pick up items, activating certain doors and lifts, etc).
The game doesn't recognize them as players.

Removing the +FRIENDLY flag and the custom damage types would make them behave like normal monsters.
(they'd kick your ass :lol: )

ACS is beyond my knowledge and understanding as of yet. (I'm too lazy I guess :? or dumb :P )
I don't know how you'd trick the engine into thinking of the actors as other player and stuff.

All in all, I hope you can enjoy or appreciate it for what it is. An attempt at creating a bot using DECORATE.
Redboy

Post by Redboy »

unknownna, how I can summon enemy Marine ??? or in other way ???? I'm making for films in DOOM :twisted:

Any idea ?

There command like SummonFoe but strange I don't understand this...
Redboy

Post by Redboy »

Where I can find +Friendly flag ??? >:(
bungholio

Post by bungholio »

I think you got it correct. Just type "summonfoe imcg" or whatever bot you want.
Redboy

Post by Redboy »

I use thos coop-bots and I type SUMMONFOE GMCG but always shoot at me but I cannot die or good marine can't kill bad marine etc etc

Only way to kill is punch and marine will die :|

Anyway what I want put 10 good marine and 10 enemy marine fight each other they must not shoot at me.....NO TARGET but not quite right :|
bungholio

Post by bungholio »

I forgot that the damage type their weapons do is "FriendlyFire", so you can't harm them and they can't harm you or themselves. You'd have to go into the decorate and copy the bots, rename them and remove the +FRIENDLY line in their flags. The Fist and chainsaw weren't remade so those will kill the bots no matter what.
Virgil

Post by Virgil »

Tenement Funster wrote:Hah, what do you know. I looked up 'bot' a while ago and after 5 completely irrelevant definitions I quit on that boy.

NOW THAT IS THAT!
The following is taken straight from the official wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_game_bot):

"A bot, most prominently in the first person shooter PC game types (FPS), is a robotic computer controlled entity that simulates an online or LAN multiplayer human deathmatch opponent, team deathmatch opponent or a cooperative human player. Computer game bots work via artificial intelligence routines pre-programmed to suit the game map, game rules, game type and other parameters unique to each game. Bots are not only found in FPS PC games; they are also featured in several console games."
unknownna

"coop marines" friendly decorate actors

Post by unknownna »

Got a new version for you all.

-Marine actors try to circle strafe around enemies. Only to the left though.
-Cleaned up decorate. zero tic frames now use TNT1 sprites instead of PLAY.
-Name of mod changed back to it's original name, "coop marines".
-Mod is using "pk3" file extension instead of "wad" from now on. Reduces the filesize alot.
-Added dynamic lights for OpenGL users.

Edit: New version.

-Marine actors try to alternate between strafing both left and right.
unknownna

Re: "coop marines" friendly decorate actors

Post by unknownna »

New update guys. :geek:

-Added new fist, berserk and chainsaw actors.
Fist = F
Berserk = B
ChainSaw = CS

summon gmb, imcs, rmf etc.

-Made the actors have a 50% chance of strafing left or right at first before alternating by randomness. They used to begin
with strafing left, then alternate. Now it's either left or right, then alternate.
Last edited by unknownna on Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grimm

Re: "coop marines" friendly decorate actors

Post by Grimm »

I want you guys to know that that's the *DUMBEST* argument I've ever seen.

Anyway, are there any other WADs like this?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”