WWHC-Diaz + (NEW!) The VR Missions (help wanted!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: WW-Diaz Remake: more assistance needed!

Post by wildweasel »

DoomRater wrote:What I would do is write a multiplayer version and a singleplayer version of the same WAD, with that basic change, but ACS would work I think.
Thing is, though, I don't want to resort to creating two versions of the wad file. Not only is it a waste of space, the potential for confusion is too great.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Well, you already use ACS as part of the project, so I guess you could make an ACS function that returns whether the game is a singleplayer or multiplayer.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Code: Select all

script 1 (void)
{
   SetResultValue( GameType() );
}

TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf( ACS_ExecuteWithResult(1) > 0, "Something" ) // Jump if Coop, DM, or title map
TNT1 A 0 // Single player stuff
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Okay, an update - but not to Diaz itself. I figure it's about time I revealed my Diaz side-project, because I need help with it...

http://armory.drdteam.org/wwmods/inprog ... diazvr.rar

Diaz: The VR Missions
(Yes, this is a blatant rip-off of Metal Gear Solid's VR missions)
NOTE: This wad file is developed using GZDoom SVN r16 - I make no guarantee that it will work as intended in anything else

The project blueprint is found inside the WAD file, and it describes what I want to do with the project once I can work out the current kinks.

Here's what I have done...

- Two textures: one green-outlined block, and one green-outlined block with a lighter green fill (for the "noisy"/hazardous floors?). May make more textures for use on stairs, trap-doors, and the like.
- One "test" map. Contains a rudimentary level demonstrating one of the two finished textures.
- Sky textures. Need a lot of work - there's a massive black gap that I can't fill. I eventually want the sky to look somewhat like MGS:VR's - the resources are mostly in place, and I just need to figure out how to fill in the black gap.
- Two "target" graphics: one normal (will shatter when shot at a few times - currently does not spawn due to "has no frames"), one explosive (unimplemented).
- Four music tracks from MGS2:Substance (compressed heavily in OGG format, may be possible to compress more heavily to save space?). Will likely need to add more music tracks for special situations like Variety mode, and the "giant soldier" levels.
- Incomplete ACS script for the existing level. I will eventually want this script to detect when there are no longer any targets/guards in the map (or other conditions) and open up the exit portal so the player can leave for the next level.

Right now, I'm absolutely sure that I'll need help with the target coding and ACS scripting. I don't know yet if I need help with levels, but if anybody is willing to help out (it's not like they need much detail, they just need to be clever and fun) I will be glad to accommodate.
Tamashii

Re: WWHC-Diaz + (NEW!) The VR Missions (help wanted!)

Post by Tamashii »

nice work wildweasel!

would it be overpowered to put akimbo pistols in there? :/
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Tamashii wrote:nice work wildweasel!

would it be overpowered to put akimbo pistols in there? :/
I don't want to put akimbo pistols in the mod. There are too many weapons in there already, and given the mod's realistic bent, I feel it's better to save the akimbo idea for another mod.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

One thing you could do with the random items:

For each thing to be randomized, reate a custominventory item to be placed on the map instead of the actual item. Each item shoud look like its counterpart and give the imitated item when picked up.

Each item first sets itself to -dropped, then has a random chance of either going to a "normal" spawn state or spawning one of the other items before disappearing.

This way, an item will respawn if picked up, but once it respawns what ultimately appears is still randomized.

Unfortunately this only works with items and not weapons, but if it's just grenades I doubt a new player would notice.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I would appreciate some help in fixing the NormalTarget in ww-diazvr.wad - although the graphics are present and are referring to the right frames, (G)ZDoom complains that NormalTarget has no frames. I've tried inheriting from ExplosiveBarrel and only changing the states, and to the same results. Help?
Tamashii

Post by Tamashii »

i'd love to play around and help you ww, but i haven't had any luck getting gzdoom to work. ever.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

I have played the original Diaz mod and I really liked it, this new version is even better :D

There were one or two things I think could be improved, the Magnum could be strengthened a bit, the shotgun is a little too fiddly to use, and I completely missed the concept of healing your wounds with toilet roll :shock: :lol:

BTW I missed the assault shotgun and the Arc charger thing, I really think you should include them again :yup:
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Mm, perhaps the Arc Welder could be added back in, but perhaps I would make it a rare drop from one of the enemies (Arachnotron?). As for the assault shotgun, I never really did like it, because once the player got it there was no reason to use the mini-shotgun anymore.

I've been experimenting with the magnum's power, and as long as it's able to kill a demon in around two shots, I think it's absolutely perfect. (Bear in mind: the Magnum has one of the better melee attack ratings in the game - it may lack in power compared to the Skorpion or AT30, but it's a bit faster than the rest of the melee attacks. If the magnum can't kill a demon in two shots, finish them with a melee hit or you'll be wasting potential damage.)
Tamashii

Post by Tamashii »

to heck with the minishotgun! :3

just have a assault shotgun with the minishotgun's power but slightly higher spread. and make some beefier sounds :/
that's what i essentially did with your ashotgun in my privately edited version of your wad.

shotguns have quite a kick, right? they're supposed to be big. i can't say i've heard of a practical min-shotgun before.

also, if you bring the arcwelder back, it'd be great to have that give the added effect of "electrocution" that you did on the secondary of the psi-amp. for some reason, i really have an aversion to the psi-amp, and privately put it in as something the player always has, in case they run out of ammo. like in Suspended in Dark, or Genesis of Descent.

i was also wondering if i can post and share some of the stuff i've privately tweaked with diaz to suit my personal tastes. no credit to me, of course. i respect your work very much wildweasel.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Scattergun. The reason you don't hear about em is because they're likely illegal.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

wildweasel wrote:Mm, perhaps the Arc Welder could be added back in, but perhaps I would make it a rare drop from one of the enemies (Arachnotron?).
If you do put it back in, make it act differently. With a thunder fist taking up it's position, it'd be nice to see it act different. Maybe more like an actual arc wielder, you know, like a constant beam instead of a rail gun.
Jodwin

Post by Jodwin »

Autoshotguns are cheese. No autoshotguns plz.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”