Hideous Destructor 4.7.0a

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor - an enhancement mod [update 15 Dec 2007]

Postby CaptainToenail » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:31 am

Well, this mod is very well built and full of nice effects, but I find it unplayable, getting owned by Zombiemen in the Entryway just isn't fun :lol:
CaptainToenail

Postby Sodaholic » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:11 pm

I agree, too hard.
Sodaholic
Banned User

Postby SoulCrow » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:43 pm

I personally found the ability to shoot dead bodies quite frustrating. I'd be emptying clips and clips of ammo into something pretty weak (like a cacodemon) and it just wouldn't die. And then I realize that's because I'm ACTUALLY shooting a body just in front of it. It sounds like it would work well, but I just do not think in that way when I play doom.
SoulCrow
Actually...

Postby Unknown_Assassin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:22 pm

BoldEnglishman wrote:I personally found the ability to shoot dead bodies quite frustrating. I'd be emptying clips and clips of ammo into something pretty weak (like a cacodemon) and it just wouldn't die. And then I realize that's because I'm ACTUALLY shooting a body just in front of it. It sounds like it would work well, but I just do not think in that way when I play doom.

You have to turn off autoaim.

You could either put in the console 'autoaim 0' to deactivate (to reactivate autoaim, type in 'autoaim 5000') or go to menu -> options -> player setup to deactivate autoaim.
Unknown_Assassin
Bow down to the Protoss Race!!

Postby Matt » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:03 pm

Yeah, everything's pretty mouselook-centric in this mod.

That said, it seems the shootable corpses are now officially much more trouble than they're worth. Noted for next release.

@Soda/Toenail: Well, I'd try to make the zombies easier, but it's just that they have guns. :P
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Project Dark Fox » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:20 am

Vaecrius wrote:Yeah, everything's pretty mouselook-centric in this mod.

That said, it seems the shootable corpses are now officially much more trouble than they're worth. Noted for next release.

@Soda/Toenail: Well, I'd try to make the zombies easier, but it's just that they have guns. :P

Zombies in general should have slow reaction times, awful aim, and low hit points. If you have one with near-human reaction and strength, then you have yourself a possessed...
Project Dark Fox
Married Furry Anxiety Bucket

Twitch ID: ProjectDarkFox
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby SoulCrow » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:06 am

Actually isen't the concept behind the Former Human the fact that he WAS a possessed human and not a zombie at all? Like how the original code for the trooper called him POSS or something and he just looked like a marine with square red eyes.

Though this could also go either way by id even calling him Zombieman at the end of Doom 2...
SoulCrow
Actually...

Postby CaptainToenail » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:59 pm

Well, he is possessed, but wouldn't that make him basically a zombie anyway?
CaptainToenail

Postby Sodaholic » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:01 pm

In the Doom Bible I think it said they were alive, but just under the influence of demonic commands.
Sodaholic
Banned User

Postby Phucket » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:18 pm

Either way, they're way too overpowered, especially when you take into consideration the fact that a lot of mappers like to place swarms of them. It's Doom, you don't need an explanation for why the enemies behave or work the way they do.
Phucket
Oh lawdy

Postby Kate » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:11 pm

As mentioned, it's just the fact that this style of gameplay was simply not designed for the regular doom levels. In order for doom in general to be possible with a mod like this, you would need to ensure somehow the player has a powerful, clear-cut advantage that can make up for the sheer number of enemies that the player has to take on at a single time on average (which the original doom achieved by making the weapons somewhat overpowering and lifting the usual limitations - consider the BFG, it can wipe the floor with an entire army of demons with just one shot alone, or the player's speed, being able to run across a level with no time at all and giving ease to dodging attacks (which is further affected by the monsters' aiming, especially in the hitscans)), or it would need levels specifically designed with far less numbers of hellspawn than usual to make up for their greater strength.
Kate
... in loving memory ...

Postby Phucket » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:30 am

I'm not sure if this is a glitch or not, but I killed an archvile near a mancubus, and then I tried to kill the Mancubus. The thing was, every time I killed said mancubus, it would play the archvile resurrection noise, and it'd come back to life.
Phucket
Oh lawdy

Postby Ryan Cordell » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:30 am

Not really a glitch. You should note what the Archvile lets out when he dies.
Ryan Cordell
PDA Man

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby CaptainToenail » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:28 am

gold fairy dust! :D

I agree with the suggestion that custom maps should be made for this mod, as it does not work well with traditional Doom maps
CaptainToenail

Postby Ryan Cordell » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:31 am

You people are starting to sound awfully like Phobus.. :lol:
Ryan Cordell
PDA Man

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods