Hideous Destructor 4.7.1c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.7.1c

Postby Matt » Thu May 19, 2022 7:33 pm

ghostboy1225 wrote:say matt i've noticed that the plasma rifle secret spawn in the vent in Diablous EX will never spawn a thunderbuster. it either be nothing or something else from the plasma rifle weapon pool such the Lisa from peppergrinder.
What does it spawn if you don't load the other mods?
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby ghostboy1225 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:25 pm

nothing appears, it's like whatever tries to spawn there gets deleted or can't spawn. checking the map file theres nothing special about the tags or any linedef actions associated with it the plasma rifle.
ghostboy1225

Postby Melodica » Fri May 20, 2022 1:05 pm

Been running into some vm aborts with the medkit while testing it after this commit https://codeberg.org/mc776/hideousdestr ... 006a46a317
Spoiler: "spoilered for space"

Second vm abort happened after stapling a wound that opened after removing a bloodbag, but it seems to happen at random otherwise.
Melodica

Postby Matt » Sat May 21, 2022 12:31 am

This one might take a while, since the problem is messed up enough that it's going to make it worth re-doing a lot of that spaghetti state logic - dragging the bandages and injectors along with it.

EDIT: Well, that shouldn't stop me from adding a simple null check to the existing code...
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat May 21, 2022 8:12 am

Caligari87 wrote:I actually have thought for a long time that the bleeding system in HD is actually far too slow/forgiving and instead relies too much on abstract HP drain and/or instantaneous damage amounts. The fatigue penalties for blood loss should be dialed back somewhat to balance, but overall I do think the player should probably bleed more from gunshot piercing wounds, and instant death should be reserved for critical CNS hits.

Spoiler: response

Bug?: the pain from second flesh seems to be lasting quite a long while after the wounds seal up, I had to use a time scale of 10 and let several minutes pass before my max hp was allowed to regain itself, despite not being capped from any kind of wound.

Also, I take it for the new UI, it's color-coded for; red = open wounds, orange = bandaged wounds, and gray = closed wounds, to be clear? I'm liking how blood bag removal now gives a bandaged wound instead of a sealed wound so I can now treat them with the medkit.
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Sat May 21, 2022 10:36 pm

At this point I think I can only tweak things as I see them.

Anyway medikit rewriite is a failure but current one seems fine so far.
Matt

Postby Abba Zabba » Mon May 23, 2022 1:27 pm

Seems that there's still a chance for at least 9mm rounds to cause the occasional burn as if it was a point blank contact burn from the propellant of the round. Also, the second flesh pain still lingers for minutes after the wound is mended (which seems a fair bit faster compared to the recent 'old' medikit). Perhaps reduce the second flesh pain time and make treated wounds require more time to fully mend? Good call on the immense, obnoxious blood splat from before. It's fairly useful now at a glance.

Also, how is wound closure handled now, when it seems some wounds get successfully sealed at the end with that distinct sound and message, compared to others that seem the same?
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Mon May 23, 2022 2:11 pm

I have no idea why sometimes the message is skipped. Trying to figure it out was actually one of the reasons for the attempted total rewrite.

2F effects feel right to me.

EDIT: I patched up a zombieman and then he died.

I may revisit this.
Matt

Postby Abba Zabba » Wed May 25, 2022 1:22 pm

I'll test it too and see how deadly the medical equipment is.

Yeah, I suppose the lingering nerve signals being jumbled up or firing off when the flesh mends is to be expected. That said though, the little name tag display by the medkit's HUD info is stretched and distracting; could you use the old doom font, or remove it entirely since the medkit's diagnostic report already tells you who (or what) you're treating? That and the bleed debug messages that aren't tied to debug 1.
Abba Zabba

Postby Eric_ » Fri May 27, 2022 6:27 am

Adding onto this issue, there's also no safety preventing you from executing the roll bind multiple times at once, which makes it possible to launch yourself at insane speeds upwards of 5000 km/h.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat May 28, 2022 6:01 pm

Eric_ wrote:Adding onto this issue, there's also no safety preventing you from executing the roll bind multiple times at once, which makes it possible to launch yourself at insane speeds upwards of 5000 km/h.

Haha, I should have known someone would eventually spill the beans on the Sonic roll bug. Fun while it lasted!

Bug: the new pain tweaks seem to last for quite a long time compared to before, long after any bleeding stops. I tested with both knights and barons, and both seem to take around 2 minutes before they felt gathered enough to start attacking again.
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Sat May 28, 2022 7:39 pm

The tweaks should be purely cosmetic, in fact they were motivated by the monsters taking so long to recover it was starting to get to me just how little feedback there was.

I think it's got something to do with the bullet damage tweak.

EDIT: ...hasn't it been this bad for a while now?
Matt

Postby Abba Zabba » Sun May 29, 2022 5:54 pm

It's hard to say, but in the not too distant past, it felt like knights and barons roughly had 'extreme' pain thresholds (as in, the most amount of damage capable of being dealt without an immediate death or bleed out) seemed to last around 10-15 seconds? Nowhere near the 2 minutes that I got from that test in the prior post.
Edit: much, much better with that strain to attack commit. Even more aggressive than before these recent changes, pretty good at keeping the pressure on.

Bug: it appears that blue magic doesn't heal closed wound tissue when it's the only factor of a wound. Blue magic's wound conversion process of open tissue > closed tissue, and bandaged tissue > closed tissue, still seems to run the check for removing closed wound tissue entirely, it simply stops outright when it's the only thing left. My test was just using a DERP to shoot the player's center mass once, then immediately bandaging. End result was a wound with a bandaged value of 10.3. I then chugged an entire potion, after which the conversion process healed 1.0-1.1 points entirely, leaving me with a closed wound value of 9.2-9.3.

Also, I take it that 'tissue damage' now refers to the old aggravated damage? If so, then it's worth mentioning that it, too, isn't clearing with blue magic.
Abba Zabba

Postby Eric_ » Tue May 31, 2022 8:29 am

The chainsaw seems to need some beefing up in light of the new wound system. The small wounds it makes are basically harmless to monsters. It does a great job of tearing up a player, after less than a second of sawing I needed a medkit and a half to stop the bleeding and two bloodbags to replace what was lost, but even a babuin will just shrug it off if the raw damage doesn't kill them.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Caligari87 » Tue May 31, 2022 11:07 am

My initial thought would be that instead of lots of small wounds, it should create and track one wound for as long as it's in contact with the target, and just keep making it larger.

8-)
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089
Github ID: caligari87

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods