Hideous Destructor 4.7.1c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.7.1c

Postby Abba Zabba » Thu May 12, 2022 9:47 pm

Sure, I'll get an inventory record if and when I can get it to do again. The map is configured in such a way that the bossbrain's death occurs a little earlier than the voodoo doll's so the timing of map transition is fairly fast after dying, making it tricky to react to. You wouldn't happen to use TID's or sector tags in mob ai or elsewhere anymore, do you? In particular, sector tag 99? I searched only a few ZS files on the repo but couldn't find anything. I've checked the map and can only come to the conclusion that the crushers, which are strictly tagged only to the exit switch's activation, are somehow being triggered by something else that generates a sector tag 99 response, since monsters don't use switches (not to mention it has a wall sector covering it up on map start anyhow).
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Thu May 12, 2022 11:05 pm

"kill;wait 1;changemap map01" doesn't give me any unexpected behaviour so it's definitely not just a map switch right after dying.

"kill;wait 10;+use;changemap map02;wait 1;-use;" prioritizes restart over changemap, but works fine.
"kill;wait 10;+use;wait 1;changemap map02;wait 1;-use;" restarts then changes map, also works fine.
So it's not just a matter of hitting use at the same time as the map change either.

I do use TIDs but nothing for sector tag 99. If that crusher was being triggered prematurely then surely we'd just be seeing a random playerdeath+mapchange rather than regularly timed death+change and weird behaviour on the next map...

Can you doublecheck to see if you're not enabling any game mode in the launcher or the saved command line entry you're using? It might potentially be PoF or disintegrator related.

And maybe also doublecheck if any other mods are being loaded...
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Abba Zabba » Fri May 13, 2022 1:55 am

The only mod I use with Hideous Destructor would be Ugly as Sin, doubt it's the culprit but I'll try another run without it. Power of Friendship and disintegrator are both off, have never used them. Other potential settings of note, but I still highly doubt are responsible:
Terrain destruction: all
Tweak lift speeds: yes
No flags are set on launch, nor other command line arguments, it's just blank.

I'm thoroughly stumped and just hope it's a one off thing unique to this map, but of the couple vids I've seen of the map being played in vanilla, the premature crusher never occurs. Speaking of which, just had the crusher bug occur in as little as a minute and a half, but it usually takes around 10 minutes. Interesting to see your simple command script not have the voodoo doll bug trigger. Absolutely no idea why it happened to me the very first time then never again, seems separate from this crusher mystery. Super bizarre.

Also, if you're keeping the feature of mob momentum busting down bars and grates if travelling at a sufficient velocity, I'd recommend bumping the threshold up some more, as agitated babuins break them down just by bumping into them at their prowling speed. Isn't the intent more so for charging babuins and perhaps a lunging ninja pirate, to have enough concentrated mass hitting the midtexture fast enough in order to break it?
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Fri May 13, 2022 9:38 am

How is the crusher supposed to be triggered anyway? Is it a walk-over line? If so it might just be a random monster going over it.

Anyway it looks like it should be a completely separate bug from the ghost effect on the map change.

EDIT: just had the premature crusher happen immediately after map, and got the ghost thing.

EDIT2: a zillion restarts later and nothing. In fact, noclipping to the red door and trying to exit "normally" does not trigger this thing...

EDIT3: I can't even get this stupid exit to trigger without HD...

EDIT4: That wasn't the exit. It's that switch in the floating candle room.
The ghost bug always happens...

EDIT5: For a whole new level of fucked up, if I hit the switch, then immediately pull up the console when I die and use changemap instead of letting the bossbrain do its thing, it's fine.

I stick a DERP onto the death switch and noclip to watch what happens to the boss brain, it and the barrels and the voodoo doll get crushed as expected, it's fine.

...but if I stick a DERP onto the death switch and stay in that room and die there, the glitch happens...

EDIT6: I hit the switch, step back, type "kill" in the console. Two obituaries appear, one for the suicide and one for the squish. Glitch.

EDIT7: Back to FD Map04, die from a crusher and summon a bossbrain under the same crusher so it gets hit too, no problem.
(Is there any way to summon a voodoo doll?)

EDIT8: Okay what the fuck. I add this right after line 13 in pl_ticker.zs and the glitch does not happen; I delete it again, it does:
Code: Select allExpand view
if(player)console.printf("   "..height.."   "..getgravity().."   "..bshootable);
There is no reason why this should affect anything in the playsim, let alone in the next map. I'd report this as a GZDoom bug but there's no way in hell I'll find a way to replicate it without this extremely specific setup.

EDIT9: I've made an arbitrary and unnecessary attempt at optimization just for the sake of changing the ticker. The glitch seems to be gone now.
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Abba Zabba » Fri May 13, 2022 10:53 pm

Which glitch, exactly? Both the crusher and the ghost bug? I'll give the map another stab with current HD, with and without UaS. In any case, thanks for looking into it. The revamped archvile makes the ambush in map 02 a blast.
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Sat May 14, 2022 2:08 am

The ghost bug.

Haven't even really thought about the premature crusher, which I have no idea how that would even happen - the only way an HD monster can use a button is by accidentally bumping it, but the only button in question is behind a panel.
Matt

Postby Crudux Cruo » Sat May 14, 2022 5:57 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:The only mod I use with Hideous Destructor would be Ugly as Sin

Hey, do you have issues with the text size when playing 4.71c with UAS? the first aid kit text is all jacked up for me.
Crudux Cruo
"It's howdy doody time kiddies, the bad man is here."

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat May 14, 2022 10:53 pm

Matt wrote:Haven't even really thought about the premature crusher, which I have no idea how that would even happen - the only way an HD monster can use a button is by accidentally bumping it, but the only button in question is behind a panel.

They do? For how long could they do this? I don't ever recall it happening, ever. Damn though, was hoping you'd catch something I couldn't find, as apparently there's no ACS script file that would be the only external means I can think of that would cause this. Guess it'll just be left as a mystery.

Crudux Cruo wrote:
Abba Zabba wrote:The only mod I use with Hideous Destructor would be Ugly as Sin

Hey, do you have issues with the text size when playing 4.71c with UAS? the first aid kit text is all jacked up for me.

Do you mean the trauma kit? If so, try looking around in the modules options to find the trauma kit's menu, then adjust the text scaling setting for it. It was changed to this optional alternate menu style months ago when a text change on HD's end broke the UaS trauma kit.
Abba Zabba

Postby Crudux Cruo » Sun May 15, 2022 7:33 am

oh. yeah if you just download the 4.61 release like i did, it doesnt. show up. but if you download the bleeding edge, it does, and can be scaled. thanks !
Crudux Cruo
"It's howdy doody time kiddies, the bad man is here."

Postby Eric_ » Mon May 16, 2022 5:44 am

The commit to shorten the BFG's firing delay seemingly had no significant effect in that regard and instead made charging much faster, to the point that charging is actually slower than normal when it's draining your life at <40 HP.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Abba Zabba » Tue May 17, 2022 9:28 am

The new highly in-dev wound system is pretty interesting, though I somehow got a burn from the wound received from fireman kicking a wall, figure it's worth mentioning. Like how the blood amount now shows to the hundredths. Though, could the fatigue penalty from blood loss be pushed back a bit more, so it starts getting nasty around 0.8 instead of 0.4, roughly speaking?
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Tue May 17, 2022 2:37 pm

The burn-from-kick thing is definitely going to be changed - I'm still considering my options for what to do with the old damagetypes other than woundcount and unstablewoundcount, since cumulative stuff like burns and blunt tissue damage* still work pretty well as flat counters.

*I still refuse to model broken bones in any way whatsoever for obvious gameplay and engine limitation reasons

The bleeding rate for a lot of stuff was way too high until I fixed things this morning, but I expect that even with this recent fix the player will be bleeding out more because of the way every wound will inflict this independently. I might yet change the way blood loss works, whether for the player only or for both players and mobs.
Matt

Postby Caligari87 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:30 am

(disclaimer, haven't tried the new system yet)

I actually have thought for a long time that the bleeding system in HD is actually far too slow/forgiving and instead relies too much on abstract HP drain and/or instantaneous damage amounts. The fatigue penalties for blood loss should be dialed back somewhat to balance, but overall I do think the player should probably bleed more from gunshot piercing wounds, and instant death should be reserved for critical CNS hits.

For example, in HD an unarmored non-CNS bullet hit to the torso often results in instant death due to bashing damage. With the new wound-based approach, it would make more sense to create a massive bleeder that results in death within a few seconds to a minute depending on depth/angle/width of course, and bashing damage would be relegated to knocking the player to incap at most. Rather than location based, the likely way to model this (if not done already, I haven't looked at the code) is moderate critical chance for fast-bleeders on any part of the player (except the most extreme wide angle corner hits), to approximate arterial damage.

(for flavor, it would be cool if fixing an off-angle critical bleeder results in a "tourniquet"-type message, while treating an on-angle critical bleeder results in a "bandage"-type message, but that's a low priority wish and perhaps once things stabilize I can implement a system for that in UaS instead).

8-)
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089
Github ID: caligari87

Postby Matt » Thu May 19, 2022 1:29 am

Funny thing is, every time I code the effects of using that function I'm pretty much always imagining the player doing something to cut off blood flow somewhere (hence all the pulling and grunting), but I don't really have a better generalized word for it than "bandage" and the exact cutoff point where someone is pulling out a proper tourniquet was always ambiguous.

Bashing should definitely be capable of killing if done with sufficient force or done enough times.
Matt

Postby ghostboy1225 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:08 pm

say matt i've noticed that the plasma rifle secret spawn in the vent in Diablous EX will never spawn a thunderbuster. it either be nothing or something else from the plasma rifle weapon pool such the Lisa from peppergrinder.
ghostboy1225

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods