Hideous Destructor 4.7.1c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.7.1c

Postby Matt » Sun May 08, 2022 9:51 am

Abba Zabba wrote:considering it's one of the most chainable attacks in the game, with the stun and eventually fall to the ground causing yet more problems if you're dealing with more than the archvile
That's been my impression as well - any single archvile attack is less damaging than an imp ball, but two in a row (the second one possibly because you're either too stunned or too preoccupied trying to grab - and possibly unjam - the weapon you dropped) and there's a real danger of being incapacitated by the ensuing fire.

Eric_ wrote:Which reminds me, will any change be made to the Reduce Archvile Spam option or the Plutonia spawnfilter?
I have not thought about the filters. Should I?
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Eric_ » Sun May 08, 2022 1:37 pm

Let me run a few more levels of Plutonia solonet with both filters disabled and I'll have a more educated opinion. I never cared much for Reduce Archvile Spam even with the old design, personally, and my first guess would be that the alternative spawns are highly overtuned now that the archvile can be killed faster than a baron consistently.

The dedicated rolling binds are still broken and kill your momentum instead of increasing it. Comparison video here.

Edit: Oh yeah, they're fantastic. As far as I'm concerned, there's no further need for settings that reduce their numbers. But it might be a good idea to get more opinions from people who did prefer to use them. Regarding the Plutonia spawn filter, I think the alternate chaingunner pool should stay as is. The marines and chaingunners are fine, but what I've noticed is that every map has a ton of robots and you can spend 10-15 minutes just hacking and clearing out half the ambushes on the map before they trigger.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Eric_ » Mon May 09, 2022 12:20 am

I've found an obscure bug with ammo boxes. If you only roll one of an item, sometimes it's impossible to pick up. It's more easily observed with the MG13 from Melonades but I've also reproduced it with HEATs with no submods. It can take a long time to get it to happen (I think I was around 11 minutes in before I got one), so I've uploaded a save (GZDoom 4.7.1, latest HD commit, no other mods) if it'll help at all. The HEATs right at your feet are the broken ones.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Matt » Mon May 09, 2022 12:59 am

It appears the difference is that the crouch-roll actually goes out of its way to add a bit of forward momentum whereas the bind is straight-up calling the roll and doing nothing else. I've added it there as well.

The only thing I could see for the ammo boxes is the possibility that something is being set to an amount of zero. It *shouldn't* be that but that's the only explanation I can see from looking at the code.
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Eric_ » Mon May 09, 2022 10:33 pm

Both seem to be fixed now.

The HDMapTweaks class you added to maptweaks.zs is missing a Freedoom check, so it tries to modify id Map12 too. The linedef being modified doesn't exist on that map, so this doesn't do anything on desktop GZDoom, but it causes a VM abort on Delta Touch.
With the BFG's new workings, it only emits frag if the second battery was also recharged, which only happens when altreload picks a partial battery as your highest charge. So as long as you have one full battery, you can recharge endlessly without generating more frag.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Abba Zabba » Tue May 10, 2022 1:07 am

Eric_ wrote:The HDMapTweaks class you added to maptweaks.zs is missing a Freedoom check, so it tries to modify id Map12 too. The linedef being modified doesn't exist on that map, so this doesn't do anything on desktop GZDoom, but it causes a VM abort on Delta Touch.
With the BFG's new workings, it only emits frag if the second battery was also recharged, which only happens when altreload picks a partial battery as your highest charge. So as long as you have one full battery, you can recharge endlessly without generating more frag.

Not sure if you have this too, but I consistently get the VM abort error in Doom 2's map 12 (and I would guess any other map 12 replacement) with GZDoom 4.7.1 if I use the IDCLEV cheat, but never if I use the 'map' console command. I'm assuming map tweaks aren't performed if the map is loaded directly?

For whatever reason, the method used to draw the archvile's death sprite, at least the final frame, doesn't show up on the automap when you have sprites enabled for it.

Spoiler: IV clamp
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Tue May 10, 2022 11:05 am

The map thing is completely unfixable and I have no idea why. It's also different for Doom versus Freedoom (in Doom I can get away with using "---- A -1" for the last frame). Compared with every other corpse in HD the new archvile is just about as no-frills as it gets, so I'm baffled why this would be a problem and not, say, all the humanoids.

As for the blood thing, tbh I've got no motivation to add that because it adds a huge amount of complexity to the UI with the benefit of... saving some of a resource that I habitually forget to pick up because there's so damn many lying around. And I think the damage of someone wasting the entire rest of the bag without incurring the benefit of the rest of the bag because they forgot to turn the thing back on exceeds the damage of someone wasting the bag by using it too soon and getting the overflow after being topped off.
Matt

Postby Abba Zabba » Tue May 10, 2022 3:59 pm

Spoiler: Response

Throwing in a recommendation for Old Still Life. It has some slaughter moments, but it's mostly quite HD friendly from the few maps I've played so far, more puzzle oriented which HD tends to mesh well with. The first map also has a roaming archvile zipping around through space, it's pretty great. Though now, HD provides so many options for dealing with situations, it may be more possible to deal with slaughter areas than in years past. And on top of that, the wad just looks amazing.

Edit: Haha, and just when I recommend that mapset I find a new bug in the first map! Death exits (or at least, when crushed) creates a ghost-like player state when entering the next level. HUD doesn't initialize properly, you clip through terrain, etc. No idea what made the barrels blow in the voodoo doll trick sector, killing the hdbossbrain (that uses the Heretic spore pod sprites in this mod) along with yourself, but I'm assuming barrel heat since they're all piled onto each other? Barrel gremlins don't attack at random with no target in sight, do they?
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Tue May 10, 2022 6:16 pm

I tried disabling that not-random x-scale-flipping on the death animation and it shows up on the automap just fine.

Which I thought I also did (but random) for other death animations? but I can't find any code for that in any other mob??? Am I going crazy or did I get rid of it a long time ago for some other reason (or possibly even this reason)?

EDIT: Apparently it only happens in player corpses now, and the ones that are flipped do not in fact show up on the automap. I'll get rid of it for both of them, though this strikes me as something that should be fixed on GZDoom's end.
Matt

Postby Abba Zabba » Wed May 11, 2022 12:15 am

Bug: the new puff chunks for bullet and fist impacts don't spray chunks in the direction opposite of the impact's motion, but instead, straight upwards with the expected random dispersal, every time.
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Wed May 11, 2022 10:34 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:Edit: Haha, and just when I recommend that mapset I find a new bug in the first map! Death exits (or at least, when crushed) creates a ghost-like player state when entering the next level. HUD doesn't initialize properly, you clip through terrain, etc. No idea what made the barrels blow in the voodoo doll trick sector, killing the hdbossbrain (that uses the Heretic spore pod sprites in this mod) along with yourself, but I'm assuming barrel heat since they're all piled onto each other? Barrel gremlins don't attack at random with no target in sight, do they?
I do not have the time to play through this long a map to test this.

(fwiw I can't replicate this using the crusher behind the red door in Freedoom Map04, whether by using changemap after dying or summoning a bossbrain and letting that get crushed too)

Can you post a video?
Last edited by Matt on Thu May 12, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Postby Melodica » Thu May 12, 2022 2:37 am

Had a VM abort occur in coop with power of friendship mode, occurred right after a player got up from incap after being resurrected.
Melodica

Postby Matt » Thu May 12, 2022 9:39 am

Added a zero check, but how in the world would crouchfactor be set to zero midgame!?
Matt

Postby Abba Zabba » Thu May 12, 2022 11:48 am

Matt wrote:(fwiw I can't replicate this using the crusher behind the red door in Freedoom Map04, whether by using changemap after dying or summoning a bossbrain and letting that get crushed too)

Can you post a video?

I'll see what I can do, but no promises. It only happened the first time this (seemingly) map related bug occurred, and never again. The only thing I assume I did differently was hit +use right before the boss brain's death transitioned to the next level. All other 5 or so instances of this map bug (which I hope isn't an HD bug) I didn't press any key but instead waited for the level transition, next level loaded normally, as expected of a death exit.

But this bug is beyond bizarre, and I'm trying to get a reliable save of it to test. I've used high timescales and waited around after pissing everything off, I've backtracked, the trigger is seemingly completely random. As far as I've found, the two trick sectors with the separate boss brain and voodoo doll that are surrounded in barrels, ONLY activate from the level exit switch being pressed, and nothing else. But it keeps happening and it ruins an otherwise HD perfect map, lol.
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Thu May 12, 2022 3:43 pm

Understood.

Actually, maybe a bit higher priority than video: next time it happens, while you're in "ghost mode" can you type "printinv" in the console and copypaste/screenshot the output? That might be one of the possible issues.

Beyond that, it might be an issue with the playerpawn not resetting between maps thanks to the playercorpse issue. It might be worth rethinking how playercorpses work entirely...
Matt

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods