Hideous Destructor 4.7.1c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.7.1c

Postby Eric_ » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:44 am

Could the breakable windows be adjusted to not block use? I just spent a good minute thinking a map was broken because I couldn't activate a switch, but there was just a window in front of it that I had to break first. I think the windows also shouldn't spawn in sectors with sky ceilings, but that's more of a logic nitpick than a serious mechanical issue.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby whateve » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:22 am

I have a minor request - before I go off the deep end making a brand new *.E.R.P and changing tons of details, myself and a few other players had a small request: Could the distance in which the D.E.R.P is remote controllable be increased? Out on the range it appears its going about ~33 meters before you lose connection. We love the metal childe but when we use it to check whats on the other end of a teleport very often we cannot sustain the connection long enough to get a good picture of what is on the other side.
This was paricularly desired we were running through refmags1.wad (recommended, it's wierd and barely doable in HD https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... r/refmags1) as those levels get quite large.

But in any case, thank you Matt and happy Easter!
whateve

Postby Matt » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:56 pm

I was just thinking about extending the connection range on the robots - after the drone stuff we've been seeing in an IRL war situation it's been really sticking out as unrealistically bad. Might increase it again but right now it's bumped up to ~150-180m.

I'll think about getting rid of +blockuse but seeing the player pick up objects through the otherwise solid window was a bit much.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Abba Zabba » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:05 am

Spoiler: Glass Windows

Matt wrote:Medikits work fine for me. (tried this by shooting a ZM at a friendly chaingunguy's legs, visually confirming they were bleeding, then patching them up with the medikit and stopping the bleeding.)

There's some manner of check going on for holding down alt-fire to apply the medkit, it works for 5 or more then it requires single press applications from that point after until all wounds are closed. The bloodbag's message of an unreachable patient is also a little funny when the target, whatever or whomover it may be, is right in front of you, regardless of blood chemical compatibility.

Also, the white particle that spawns for indicating blocked grabs is super distracting, since you're using +use all the time, unlike the ladder where it's situational and helps you line up the position optimally.
Abba Zabba

Postby Eric_ » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:49 pm

Some of the walk-over lifts in this WAD (Map02 has the closest available example, just down the left hall from spawn) get broken by HD's lift adjustments. The problematic setup seems to be that the lines that trigger the lift aren't tagged, but the sector they activate is. This works in stock GZDoom, but in HD the lifts can't be triggered.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby ZikShadow » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:20 am

Can confirm that walkthrough lifts seems to be acting funny in nuHDest.

It's in 5:12.

Had to use a DERP here just to get the elevator to move.
ZikShadow

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:33 am

I still don't understand what I was doing before with that A_CallSpecial to avoid the infinite loop. Going back to directly activating the line after a check to see if there are any other activator thinkers.

I think it's fixed now.
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby swampyrad » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:45 pm

I found a bug(maybe?) with the "dirty windows" in FreeDoom 1, the red keycard in C1M2 is blocked off by glass. In order to grab the keycard, I had to shoot at the window until it broke. Not sure if that is meant to happen, just thought I'd mention it.

PS: It seems to create windows anytime a sector uses that "computer terminal" floor texture. Found a area in C1M5 where a switch placed on top of a terminal was also blocked by glass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swampyrad

Postby ZikShadow » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:42 pm

This reminds me of that whole tripping situation again. Mappers are always unpredictable sort, you never know where they'll put their invisible walls.
I imagine people playing mapsets for the first time in HDest instead of vanilla will be very confused on whether breaking some of these windows count towards intentional progress from the mapper or not.

Oh, actually, I was informed that Pirate Doom has this all over the place. Kinda silly, actually.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 024420.png
ZikShadow

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:38 pm

The Freedoom mappers really love making those impassable instead of just raising the tabletop level to 25... I'm not really concerned about fixing this sort of thing since they tend to be so obvious that breaking them shouldn't break map flow. [EDIT: I just looked at the screenshot again and realized that's way higher than 25 already. I really have no idea what the mapper thinks they're trying to accomplish with that.]

That said, it makes no sense at all why the signal being sent by these keys would be blocked by these paper-thin transparent things and I'll look into doing something with them. Maybe even just check to see if there's someone nearby to give the key to...

That glass around the ship really shouldn't be spawning, assuming the ceilings are sky. I'll try to figure out where that check is failing. [EDIT: I gave it a try with the latest version and those windows do not spawn.]
Matt

Postby Eric_ » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:31 pm

Couple of problems with the new keys: one, you have to be on the same floor as them, which isn't always easily done (such as a key placed in a small alcove that you're meant to bump into). Two, looking at and getting the key won't activate scripts attached to picking up the key. Three, they're a bit unresponsive even when you meet the requirements for pickup, which is undesirable when ambushes are so frequently associated with keys. It's often important to get the key quickly and get out, not spend precious time trying to get the stars to align so you get the key. The windows are a completely optional feature, so I don't think they should be interfering with the responsiveness of core mechanics.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Eric_ » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:16 pm

Got another bug. Blues are drained at a massive rate for no benefit if you exit a level with wounds or burns. I exited a map with 665 blues and 48% burns, and entering the next map I had 89 blues and 47% burns.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Matt » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:26 pm

I'm guessing you didn't have much in terms of open or freshly treated wounds? It looked like it'd been deducting the right amount but not healing the right amount of burns.

Should be fixed now.
Matt

Postby Eric_ » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:27 pm

The recent tweak to AI caused some strange behavior with the cyberdemon. I think what's happening is that it's so tall, a player of normal or lower height is hard for it to see, so it doesn't react until that player causes actual HP damage and forcibly changes the cyberdemon's target. At maximum height, the player is spotted and attacked in a much more timely manner.

(edit: I should note that everything after the shield break in the clip is expected behavior. It's the part leading up to that where I just stand there shooting at it and it doesn't even become alerted that's not right.)
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:22 am

I noticed something earlier but I think I'd addressed the problem in the latest commits - the earlier versions of the change had me throwing numbers at this "is it in my vision at all" check like it were a "is it right in front of me such that I should attack immediately" check.
Matt

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods