Hideous Destructor 4.7.1c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DusttheDragon
Discord: Dust the Dragon
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.7.0a

Post by DusttheDragon »

Just a quick question, is there a HUD that works with HD? I tried one that was linked, DarkHUD I believe it was named but I couldn't get it to really appear cause of the resolution wonkyness. I'm using a somewhat older version of HD, 4.5.0b.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Eric_ wrote:Got a couple strange interactions with player shields.

Shrapnel almost completely ignores player shields, causing wounds and tearing radsuits while inflicting next to no damage on the shield itself. The same situation with an enemy shield sees the shrapnel completely blocked, even if it's an IED exploding directly under them.

Also, if you're wearing a radsuit under a shield, regular bullets will be completely stopped and fall out of the air instead of the normal behavior of being absorbed by the shield and passing some bashing damage through to the player.
Both of these are definitely bugs and I have no idea what the fuck is going on with them. Most likely I'll have to completely rework this part of the bullet calculation to have everything affect the bullet directly instead of trying to return penetration/shell values.

EDIT: Actually, that second one makes sense (and I should have quoted that last part of the message): the shield absorbs everything, then the bullets die against the radsuit. That they don't visibly stop if you don't have the radsuit seems to be related to the first point...

EDIT: Probably unrelated. Will focus on the first issue for now.
It seems from the debug info that the shields just... give up?... after too many fragments. I'm unable to replicate this with the grenade launcher but the hand grenades do fine.
EDIT: Not the number. Just took a shitton of fragments from a near-direct hit and the shields performed fine (though the immolation effect would have killed me). I have no idea what the difference is.

EDIT: ...it's not the explosion code fragments but the fragments from A_SpawnChunksFrags. I would never have suspected this.

EDIT: There's a check in the shield that's intended to check for self-inflicted bullet attacks. It's smart enough to avoid A_HDBlast fragments but not A_SpawnChunksFrags fragments. There's no purpose to this check and this is now fixed with its removal.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Eric_ wrote:Also, if you're wearing a radsuit under a shield, regular bullets will be completely stopped and fall out of the air instead of the normal behavior of being absorbed by the shield and passing some bashing damage through to the player. I can rationalize the suit absorbing the slight impact that comes through the shield and I think that's good mechanics even, but I'd think the bullets would dissipate on contact with the shield regardless of what's underneath.
That's actually explicit in the radsuit code - it adds to the penshield variable but doesn't apply additional effects the way armour does.

I'll have to think about this one - it seems weird that the radsuit would have vastly superior blunt force cushioning once the bullet's been stopped, but I'm not sure exactly why it would behave differently.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

There seems to still be a little bit of odd stuff going on with recasts in a liberator. If a lib fires even one recast, it seems to assume every other round in the magazine is a recast as well.
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

It looks like Thunderbuster arcs may be affected by the same problem as regular explosions. The shield will only absorb arcs if they're from an enemy, the player's own arcs and spray bypass it entirely.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Eric_ wrote:It looks like Thunderbuster arcs may be affected by the same problem as regular explosions. The shield will only absorb arcs if they're from an enemy, the player's own arcs and spray bypass it entirely.
Fixed.

Somagu wrote:There seems to still be a little bit of odd stuff going on with recasts in a liberator. If a lib fires even one recast, it seems to assume every other round in the magazine is a recast as well.
Can't replicate. I'm using "hd_give 7mr15", removing a freshly spawned Lib mag, replacing half the rounds, reloading the gun and firing full-auto while watching the debug output - exactly half the shots are identified as being reload bullets.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Utterly bizarre. I wish I was recording, because now I can't replicate either, even with the older version. Thank you for the redundant check just in case.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'll keep an eye out for the next while, there might be something obscure I'm missing that somehow skips the unflagging.

EDIT: Re: bullets on radsuit: I think I'll leave it as is. This was designed like this (instead of simply reducing penetration further or calling BulletDie) in order to avoid 2 wrong-looking scenarios that shouldn't apply where the radsuit wasn't breached:

1. bullet leaves a big puff despite not having actually loosened any material from the suit.

2. bullet somehow passes through due to an edge-case calculation and wounds the wearer despite ostensibly not having gone through the suit.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Can confirm that the stutter bug is still present, but with your viewbob alteration, it's not super obnoxious.

Could an input be added in the backpack to cycle through items of a given type? I generally leave mags full or empty in the backpack to have a quick visual identifier, and when I want to refill one mag or pick out a battery to leech off it's last bit of power, I often have to dump out everything else to get to it instead of being able to rummage around a little and yank out the mag/battery I'm focused on.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'd add it, but I don't understand the backpack code anymore and I'm not sure what input would even be available.

(This, and some pickupmanager-like way to pull out multiple items at once... having a big stash of loose rounds is painful)

Mag cycle now added. Newly inserted mags are now also added at the top rather than the bottom of the stack.

As for my own issue I've just made inserting and extracting small items go much faster - not realistic but there's no way to model what's going on without creating a whole new subgame in itself.

As for the jitter, I've been overencumbered on multiple runs now and I haven't been able to replicate it at all (or ever but at least there was *something* that was wrong that came up)...
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

Opening a totally empty backpack causes a VM abort:
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.7.1a

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE! (and yes that above VM abort had been addressed before I posted this)

Highlights of changes:
  • Added hd_strength user cvar. Default 11 (maximum). hd_minstrength and hd_maxstrength can also be set on the server side to enforce requirements or handicaps.
  • Totally overhauled blursphere behaviour.
  • The armour bonus in non-id games is now a shield generator.
  • 7.76mm reloads now use a different bullet.
  • Overhauled the meds to use inventory items instead of built-in playerpawn variables. The system should be significantly easier to add to now.
  • Berserk packs no longer let you do as much additional damage on each punch, but do now affect everything else more consistently.
  • Holding Crouch and Jump at the same time in midair results in crouching in midair.
  • Reflex sight reticles can now be customized using TEXTURES as well as raw graphics.
  • You now auto-crouch if hit with a crushing ceiling.
  • You can now mantle while remaining crouched, letting you climb through windows without fancy timed jumps.
  • You can now cycle mags of a given type in your backpack using the Zoom key.
  • Performance improvement on some fires.
  • Various bugfixes.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Seems like at some point the archvile's corpse/lingering, flickering light, broke. Doesn't fade away, simply persists, though I remember very recently (as in, a week or so) of this not being the case. In the instance this happened, I did hammer the hell out of the archvile during the death sequence out of spite. An xdeath error?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Please post exact step by step way to replicate including expected versus actual result. I'm imagining 3 totally different things this could desribe.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

The steps are simple and straight forward in this case, which is why I didn't elaborate. But for a step by step, here's what I just did that also yielded the same result:

1: loaded the range map
2: spawned an archvile, shot it until the final pain trigger causes the fade out death
3: observed that the archvile's 'corpse' doesn't truly disappear when the sprite fades away, it remains as an invisible, non-obstructing, draggable entity that displays dynamic light flickers perpetually, along with registering collisions with hitscan and projectiles, still spraying yellow blood.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”