Hideous Destructor 4.7.1a

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.7.0a

Postby Andie » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:14 am

Matt, there’re a couple of gameplay features that are a bit of an accessibility issue for people with photosensitive epilepsy: the visual throbbing effect when in severe pain (e.g., Imp attacks) and all the full-screen flickering when the player is on fire from balefire or Archfiend’s projectiles once they catch up with the player. Would it be possible to add some in-game options to disable or at least minimize these effects?
Andie

Postby Matt » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:42 pm

I try to avoid making stuff like this optional because it inevitably leads to exploits or bugs that I never catch for years because I never touch that setting after implementing it.

That said, we are all definitely better off without the throbbing flash.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Eric_ » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:24 pm

Shield cores in your inventory are being dumped by the Purge Useless Ammo bind.
Marines sometimes dump an entire mag trying to shoot themselves at the start of a map. They stop once they have to reload, and they don't seem to ever actually succeed in their efforts, but the gunshots are a bit annoying.
Any thoughts on improving the Archvile's attack? It lost almost all its damage potential with how much better our fall tolerances are now. Pretty much the worst it can do is make you drop your weapon, unless it happens to lift you into the line of sight of a Cyberdemon.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:37 pm

Any idea where these marines come from and whether they're supposed to be friendly?
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Eric_ » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:45 pm

Map-placed chaingunner spawns, not friendlies. Could be related to the small amount of balefire damage marines seem to take upon spawning?
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Abba Zabba » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:54 am

Eric_ wrote:Marines sometimes dump an entire mag trying to shoot themselves at the start of a map. They stop once they have to reload, and they don't seem to ever actually succeed in their efforts, but the gunshots are a bit annoying.

I was noticing this too, but fairly rarely, and the shots seem to have been aimed straight down? Not sure if that's what happens when there's no proper target or if that's how the AI tries to attempt to hit itself since its hitbox is always behind the point of origin of their attacks.
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:10 pm

Eric_ wrote:Could be related to the small amount of balefire damage marines seem to take upon spawning?
And with that I went from "intractable problem that could be anything" to "oh yeah I forgot that lol"

At least I hope it's what I think it is...
Matt

Postby Eric_ » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:10 pm

That seemed to address it. I've reloaded Bloodfalls several times and haven't heard any shooting.
Typo in the mag manager:
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Abba Zabba » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:39 pm

Matt wrote:I think I may have fixed a stutter related to gun bracing/movement. If this problem had only come up while under the influence of stim, I think this would have been it.

That very well might have been one aspect addressed, but it still seems to happen, and apparently can get quite pronounced to the point of jittering your view sprite/crosshair up and down by around 50% of it's original position, looks hilarious. Can't find a trigger for it yet. Most recent was going up a short slope about 10 feet tall, and then it was cleared upon bracing, then switching to fists while braced.
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:26 pm

okay I think I'll need a video for that...
Matt

Postby Abba Zabba » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:53 pm

Sure thing. Quick, sloppy video:

Spoiler: vid

Now it seems that the severity is affected by the bulk you're carrying. Swore before, though, that this effect cleared on its own through bracing, weapon switching, or some other manner of combination, but this time it persisted. Perhaps it was a case of picking up heavy, full vulcanettes for their ammo, and then having the effect clear when I dropped the vulcanette, and shaving off around 200-250 bulk. I don't remember the bug persisting with one particular gun before, until this recording. Had this happen with a vulcanette, slayer, and I believe ZM66.
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:17 am

That is... completely different than what I'd been imagining based on the description, lol

I'm not able to get it yet but I am getting something else that might be related.

It may be fixed now, not sure.
Matt

Postby Abba Zabba » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:19 pm

Not entirely sure if that fixed it or not (I'm guessing so, but time will tell,) but the view bob tweak definitely busted the remote cameras on the robots when you use movement inputs to control robots.
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:06 am

fixed, and added aiming for EDSF keys.
Matt

Postby Eric_ » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:11 pm

Got a couple strange interactions with player shields. Shrapnel almost completely ignores player shields, causing wounds and tearing radsuits while inflicting next to no damage on the shield itself. The same situation with an enemy shield sees the shrapnel completely blocked, even if it's an IED exploding directly under them. Also, if you're wearing a radsuit under a shield, regular bullets will be completely stopped and fall out of the air instead of the normal behavior of being absorbed by the shield and passing some bashing damage through to the player. I can rationalize the suit absorbing the slight impact that comes through the shield and I think that's good mechanics even, but I'd think the bullets would dissipate on contact with the shield regardless of what's underneath.
Eric_
we just don't know.

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods