Hideous Destructor 4.7.0a

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.6.1a

Postby ThinkSome » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:24 am

Is there a way to increase monster HP? I seem to be able (on normal difficulty) to one-shot almost everything with one round of shot/4mm/7mm. It doesen't feel right, as the monsters are supposed to be possesed/controlled or something and whatever that is controlling them probably doesen't care much about a few bullet holes here and there.

Is there a way to reload 9mm and .355 ammo? The bullets appear to have casings, but they cannot be picked up.

Can we have pre-match loadout purchasing like in e.g. counter strike? It would be useful for multiplayer, to ensure everyone has about the same value of gear, without enforcing that everyone has exactly the same gear.
ThinkSome

Discord: @ThinkSome:matrix.org

Postby ZikShadow » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:59 am

1. I imagine you could with https://github.com/jekyllgrim/Universal ... ay-Tweaker, though I doubt you'd want to. HDest's enemies may drop quickly compared to their vanilla counterparts, but so do you. It's balanced on both sides. Very apparent if you try playing without armor and having bullets practically instakill you. This is also not counting higher tier enemies like nobles above, that have shields. You're not dropping them in one shot, I assure you.

2. Not without additional addons, no. Even then, spent pistols casings are by themselves unpickable, 'cause they're made from plastic and pretty much unsalvagable when shot.

3. Everyone can set up custom loadouts in HD Options. To start with them before a coop game, you just have to start a regular game with a loadout to lock it in, then you can join a coop game and have that be your starting loadout. Value of gear is how much you can carry before you're overencumbered.
ZikShadow

Postby ThinkSome » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:29 pm

1. I've tried it. Set monster health multiplier 5 and it does not seem to be working, monsters still drop to one round.

2. Plastic, really? I opened https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9719mm_Parabellum and it looks like brass to me. The spent casings on the floor in-game also look like brass's colour.

3. I see.

4. Does "Holding sprint and crouch at the same time has you scrambling along the ground, unable to shoot but achieving something close to your normal, unencumbered moving speed." that is stated in hd_manual.md work for anyone? I'm over-encumbered by a lot and holding this has no effect whatsoever.
ThinkSome

Postby ZikShadow » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:09 pm

1. Are you sure that ALL monsters drop in one round? Like actually all monsters, not just the unarmored zombies? Literally one round? 'Cause if so, you may be loading a different monster mod from HDest's. Some of the zombies, the marine sprited ones with the helmets, wears armor that you can't just drop so easily with lesser caliber rounds. Same for chaingunners. Ninja pirates, hell knights, barons, arachnotrons, and so on has shields that you need to wear down first before you can truly damage them. In any case, if that doesn't work, I don't know what else will. Sorry.

2. 9mm in HDest isn't real life 9mm. It's 9x22mm Parumpudicum, a fictional round. Its properties are similar, but slightly pinched up a notch. The casings also use a different sound to the brass ones used by the Liberator when it's clinking on the floor.

4. I believe it's referencing the ability to dodge, which you can do if you're crouching while going at a momentum. Very useful when an enemy shows up and you need to immediately take cover.

EDIT: Correction. I've been informed that it's just explaining how you can also "sprint" while crouching. The wording is a pinch funny, but looking at it again, it is quite descriptive. You'll still be affected by encumbrance.
ZikShadow

Postby ThinkSome » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:53 pm

1. Only the regular unarmored ones.

2. *sad*

4. Hmm.. I was hoping it would be the "drag your heavy possesions across the floor" movement type :(
ThinkSome

Postby ThinkSome » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:06 pm

I had an idea how to shorten/lengthen ladders: Each ladder would be made of one anchor (the thing you see on top) and multiple ladder segments. Each ladder segment would add 25-30 cm to a ladder's length. A ladder would be lengthened/shortened by selecting it in the item list (bottom right of hud) and
  • holding (reload) with another segment in open inventory to add a segment
  • holding (unload) to remove a segment and place it in inventory

Thus making one ladder from two ladders would involve removing multiple segments from one of them and attaching them to the other.
ThinkSome

Postby ZikShadow » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:36 pm

There have been plenty suggestions about ladder extensions in the past. The answer being the not-too-recent-but-still-pretty-close-enough implementation of the jetpack. If it's too far to climb down with a ladder, you'll probably want that.
ZikShadow

Postby ThinkSome » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:40 pm

Can everyone who ever published a mod or a map for HD please pick or clarify it's license? I have tons of addons downloaded of which some do not work and I cannot safely fix them because the license is unknown (in particular the HidDest_UaS_ScientistCompat one is erroring out right now).

I am also trying to compile a list/package of HD and the libre addons for it. Not having a license attached or having a license that is not free software / free culture means that such an add-on will not be included or packaged by distros.
ThinkSome

Postby Caligari87 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:44 am

KynikossDragonn wrote:Is there a reason why hostile actors can see me from practically infinite distance, but my friendly actors refuse to acknowledge the existence of hostiles firing at me until they themselves get hit, or are within feasible shotgunning distance?

I've been trying to see how the Operator/Tango actor attacks at a distance and it's kinda hard to do this when the Operator's never seem to want to fire back until they end up getting killed in the crossfire, or hit and stuck in a pain loop.

AI seeing a target requires a line-of-sight check to potential targets, which can be performance-expensive. This is essentially
Code: Select allExpand view
AI * potential_targets

For normal monster AI this isn't too problematic, since each monster only needs to check against at most 8 players. So you're looking at this number of checks, in standard Doom gameplay:
(enemy_AI * players)

When adding in friendly monsters or "factions", this becomes significantly more complex, since each AI needs to check against every other AI in the map. So your number of checks becomes:
(enemy_AI * players) + (enemy_AI * ally_AI) + (ally_AI * enemy AI)
That's a LOT MORE vision checks, especially if you were to add multiple factions into the mix.

GZDoom's stock AI handles this by limiting friendly monsters to only checking within a set number of 128x128 blocks, and enemy monsters don't check for friendly monsters. Because of how actors are sorted into the blockmap, this is a fairly fast way to narrow down the list of possible cross-checks, but means friendly AI can only see a short distance compared to how far monsters can see the player.

Hideous Destructor's AI does a lot more complex things, but the core principles are the same and HD still leans a lot on GZDoom's stock AI for performance speed. Friendlies are limited in their sight range vs how far enemies can see the player. Enemies might target friendlies, if the friendly blasts out a "target me I'm a threat" signal (which is also limited in distance for performance reasons) but they typically don't intentionally seek friendlies otherwise.

Incidentally these performance issues are what has prevented any sort of "faction" system from being implemented in GZDoom despite being a hotly-requested feature for decades. AI checking against the player is fairly fast and simple thanks to the base game assuptions (few players, many monsters). AI checking against other AI is exponentially slower simply due to the amount of line-of-sight checks required. Workarounds can be achieved through scripting and sometimes cheating/fakery (which HD does in some cases), but just isn't feasible for the general-purpose AI.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby KynikossDragonn » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:34 am

Caligari87 wrote:Incidentally these performance issues are what has prevented any sort of "faction" system from being implemented in GZDoom despite being a hotly-requested feature for decades.

More and more I'm beginning to think my crazy idea of turning HDest into a "source port" is probably going to be the only way to do certain things with the project without it completely grinding to a halt performance wise. (though it would be very interesting just to see HDest being played smoothly within MS-DOS, everything having been implemented as tightly integrated and optimized low-level code)

Thanks for clarifying things for me though.

It's still interesting seeing how the Tango handles long distance fighting but it seems to fail at using the blooper on me from such large distances. The riflemen are deadly though they take such a hilarious amount of time to fire.
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Twitch ID: kynikossdragonn
Github ID: KynikossDragonn
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby ThinkSome » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:29 am

I need tips on how to survive the 9+ technospiders in the start of freedoom2 map07: Outer Storage Warehouse. I start on a lift, then push a button for it to bring me 4m high where I'm immidiately smoked by the four technospiders on two opposite platforms overlooking the lift.

I have:
  • a summoning talisman. Technospiders seem to ignore my virtual companions.
  • a blur sphere (HDBlurSphere). It kills me 5s after applying it.
  • 2 hand grenades, throwing them one per platform seems to do nothing to the spiders.
  • 20 rocket grenades, but I cannot aim them at the spiders from my shaft position. Well, I can aim them at the roof of their area, not sure if they take any damage.
  • a battle rifle, blackjack (that .355 rifle + shotgun), viper (desert eagle), automatic shotgun and a brontornis cannon with 2 shells.
  • 4 stim packs, 4 synthblood, 12 berserk packs (they don't seem to be helping in this case)
  • battle armor with 6/70 life remaining
  • jetpack & ladder
  • 20 IED kits and loads of bullets.

Dropping everything except the battle rifle and running around the starting arena seems to prolong my survival, but I'm smoked as soon as I stop at a door (all of which seem to be locked).

EDIT1: 2 handgrenades per platform seem to do the trick. Too bad I have only 2 D:
EDIT2: saved after killing two spiders with 2 handgrenades. Can't run for cover to the platform with live ones, because I'm smoked by the spiders on the platform diagonally opposite to that one.
EDIT3: omg I made it, after reloading from save 100+ times and 10 rocket grenades to the opposite platform, I managed to find cover. 5+ spiders remain on the other end.
EDIT4: after having cover, the remaining technospiders stood no chance against rocket grenades and full auto 7mm. The slugs in the four monster closets were dealt with by IED kits and full auto 7mm.
ThinkSome

Postby swampyrad » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:52 pm

Hello, first time posting, I wanted to ask about a problem I keep having with the NV Goggles. They don't work, every time I try to use them, my game freezes and an error log pops up that starts with "Compile Shader 'nitevis.fp'". I'm running HD using DeltaTouch on Android, using the OpenGL renderer. I've tried using the other renderers, but GZDoom just forces it back to OpenGl on restart. It could just be an issue with my phone, but I'd like to know if someone could explain what's going wrong. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swampyrad

Postby RevanGarcia » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:41 pm

Is there an addon that replaces demons with more humans?
RevanGarcia
As you can see, I'm still missing a brain piece.

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.6.1b

Postby Matt » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:14 pm

NEW UPDATE!

Highlights of changes:
  • Added reflexreticle (also rret) console command and dot parameter in Liberator, Vulcanette, ZM66, SMG, RL and Brontornis. These take the same values as hd_crosshair and are not capped.
  • Patrol points actually work now!
  • Redid the chunk/fragment spawning function so that more things get hit that are directly under the exploding actor.
  • New cvar hd_height that lets you increase or decrease your height by up to 20%. (Your entire size and mass is also adjusted proportionally because stretching the sprite looks awful.)
  • Skins can now define custom gibbing sounds.
  • Low-encumbrance mode now adds arbitrary maxamounts that can actually be hit.
  • Improved NPC name generation scripts.
  • Removed hd_3speed.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.6.1b

Postby ThinkSome » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:55 am

RevanGarcia wrote:Is there an addon that replaces demons with more humans?

Yes, monster picker on https://accensi.gitlab.io/hdportal/addons/monsters.html

swampyrad wrote:Hello, first time posting, I wanted to ask about a problem I keep having with the NV Goggles. They don't work, every time I try to use them, my game freezes and an error log pops up that starts with "Compile Shader 'nitevis.fp'". I'm running HD using DeltaTouch on Android, using the OpenGL renderer. I've tried using the other renderers, but GZDoom just forces it back to OpenGl on restart. It could just be an issue with my phone, but I'd like to know if someone could explain what's going wrong. Thanks.

Not an answer, but in the mean time you could get similar functionality with flashlight and flares/glowsticks from UglyAsSin

Matt wrote:...Added reflexreticle...

5) What are these reticles? I tried fiddling with this in loadout editor, but the gun looked all the same to me.
6) Is there a way to dual-wield pistols and other firearms that are light enough for this? (pistol, revolver, maybe smg)?
7) Is it normal to find groups of monsters (serpentipedes, flesh worms, pain bringer/lord and some zombies) in the campaign (freedoom phase2 map 10) that are friendly to you? I'm probably not invisible since some still shoot at me.
8) Matt, have you considered merging some mod stuff into the base game? There are some things like Ugly As Sin's flares/glowsticks, ammo pouches and Ace's extra weapons that I think complement the base game very well.
ThinkSome

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods