Hideous Destructor 4.7.0a

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.5.0d

Postby Matt » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:26 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:To be clear, with that twenty wounds and four minutes, I'm guessing you meant the normal recuperation after the final bit of flesh mending. This is not what I mean. Even after mild amounts of sprinting, let alone pain from being injured, you'll get this small but quite annoying viewbob that simply persists indefinitely unless you exert yourself hard enough (generally to the point of screen shaking,) and then wait until you're completely recovered. I've tested for three or so minutes in such cases, they never clear on their own, and do not diminish to any degree.
Conclusively unable to reproduce. Will need video since this seems to be the sort of thing that can't reliably be described in words.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Abba Zabba » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:44 pm

Strangely enough, earlier, I ran some tests without any stims, just using the medkit on wounds from brute kicking and moderate babuin mauling, and I couldn't get the lingering viewbob to trigger. It did, however, happen the first time I ran a test with a stim right after a babuin attack, which I immediately followed up with the medkit. I'll record something and throw it on this post or another later. This bugged viewbob sometimes takes a few seconds to appear after the normal viewbob goes away.

Edit: I have several examples but even when cutting down to the bare minimum of showing you medkit use and waiting for a minute, the file size exceeds 250MB for streamable. Do you want me to PM it to you compressed or just exclusively show the viewbob on streamable?

Here's a quick barebones example: (note that, sometimes this viewbob bug has no delay for when it appears, and at other times it's 5 seconds or more, or anything inbetween. The intensity is also around half as strong as it can potentially become. No stims used, just 2 wounds closed with a medkit.)
Spoiler: viewbob bug

Edit 2: another good test for the bug would be to gain a large amount of blood synthesis fatigue, it's produced heavy persisting viewbobs the few times I've tested.
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:37 am

What I did find was that randomly long after you should have fully recovered the bob starts increasing. This appears to be caused by blood pressure going into negatives due to aggravated damage where the code never had to deal with it before.

I suspect it's related to what you're describing, or possibly the same thing depending on how long you're testing this for. (You are aware of the i_timescale command, right?)
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Abba Zabba » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:20 pm

Absolutely, it was quite handy for testing, I just wanted to record an example plainly, just in the off chance that frames would be skipped or missed in some way when I'm trying to display something that could be quite subtle to notice. Next time there's something of a time consuming nature like this, I'll see if it records well on a higher scale.

Edit: still happening after the fix to heart.zs, definitely seems linked to aggravated damage.
Abba Zabba

Postby ThrashfanBert1994 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:25 pm

how do you open pk7 files?
ThrashfanBert1994

Postby Abba Zabba » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:19 am

Oh, forgot to mention this when I tested with blood bags; removing blood bags at any point causes one whole closed wound point instead of (what I'm assuming is intended) a single point of 'pain' damage akin to a second flesh staple mending. However, it admittedly would be kind of a neat detail for it to cause an open wound if it were to be shot or bumped off by other means.
Abba Zabba

Postby Caligari87 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:44 am

ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:how do you open pk7 files?

You usually don't, just load it into GZDoom like a .pk3 or .wad file.

If you need to extract it for some reason, just rename to .7z and use 7zip.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:27 am

Abba Zabba wrote:However, it admittedly would be kind of a neat detail for it to cause an open wound if it were to be shot or bumped off by other means.
Already does. :)
Matt

Postby Abba Zabba » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:10 pm

Knock on wood, but your recent (day or two old now) mob AI changes have resulted in much fewer instances of that falldown noclip bug. However, this was something I only tested on top of the range's crates, meaning there's no lower level to step down. Things might still become easily stuck on weird stairs or small rocks and the like.
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:43 pm

Sweet. I'm betting it probably does, since I'm no longer constantly teleporting the actor back and forth.

I'm basically trying to reinvent all of A_Chase with all this... again... there's a lot less of the regular Doom AI that seems to ba totally opaque black box for me so I might be able to get it this time.
Matt

Postby Abba Zabba » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:33 pm

Cool. Hopefully it can be squashed outright in the future, this progress is promising.

Spoiler:
Abba Zabba

Postby Matt » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:24 pm

An aborted attempt to totally change the input system for the robots, backpack, magmanager, etc. had me making some changes to how stuff was calculated, so everything is way more sensitive now. I like it, but it is a bit weird why it would be so much more responsive, so I will fix it.

Okay, so it's not my imagination that the babuins are spamming the alert sounds. I'll take a closer look.
Matt

Postby DusttheDragon » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:19 pm

I downloaded it to give it a shot and had my arse thoroughly handed to me. Then I turned down to casual settings to see if it would change much. Still got sent to the floor numerous times. Not that I don't enjoy the challenge, but when it stomps you even on easier settings.. hoo boy. Out of everything though I think I've come to hate the imps the most. The little baubins and the like at least you can get them off of you (sometimes anyway) by wildly shaking your view about. The imps don't seem to care how many shots you spike into their corpses and will occasionally just get back up, even if frag was nowhere near them, sometimes even when gibbed.
DusttheDragon

Discord: Dust the Dragon
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:59 pm

Imps are even more OP in the dev version relative to everything else currently, since they do a little bit more damage but all monster aggression has increased slightly and they never stop to reload.

Some "reloading" thing for fireball monsters is on my to-do list.
Matt

Postby Caligari87 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:19 pm

What if imps (and similar creatures) had an internal regenerating "mana" supply that smoothly reduced the size and potency of their fireballs as it's used up, so the more they spam the player the weaker their attacks get unless they get a chance to recharge for a while?

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods