Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Abba Zabba

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.5.0a

Post by Abba Zabba »

Did a quick test to quell my suspicions, and they were right. Keys aren't transferring TID's. Slipped my mind at first, but keys would be one of the most likely, if not the most likely, category of items to be trapped/scripted with a TID. I'm not exactly sure how TID works, does a transfer only occur when an item is deleted on a pickup or use? If so, I'm not sure how keycards should be handled. Maybe a deletion and then a keycard of matching type drops from your character, sort of like attempting to pick up an item you have no room for.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Are you absolutely sure that the TIDs are being reset and not specials failing to trigger? All the keys are simple "replaces" so unless this is a huge GZDoom bug I can't see how they wouldn't work.

EDIT: ....actually, what do you mean by "transfer" TID? I might have misunderstood.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

By transfer TID I mean transfer specials which you already applied to armor. HD's keys aren't triggering TID's like other items can and already do, and I'm guessing because they are permanent actors i.e. they don't delete upon use which seems to be the specific action required to activate a TID. So that's why I mentioned one solution might be to have the key delete itself instantly on pickup, then drop from a player (a neutral, TID-less key, so as to prevent excessive triggers) with a slight forward motion or at the player's feet so the key doesn't tumble into a pit or an otherwise inaccessible area.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Sounds like the special not being called. Probably related to the deprecation of grab states.

Skulls, cards, or both? EDIT: If it's skulls only I think I've fixed it. Also did the map.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I tested with a yellow keycard at the time. Applied your recent patch to miscpickups.zs, tried again, and the TID failed to trigger on interaction with the yellow keycard. Changed it to a yellow skull key next, same result of no TID trigger. Swapped item back to an armor, the TID triggered as intended with the armor TID fix of 3 weeks ago or so.
Matt

Post by Matt »

No idea what could be wrong. The code that runs the special call is being executed. No one has reported anything like this on Discord.

What map is this?
NicoTheGoat

Post by NicoTheGoat »

TIDs, specials and args are being copied perfectly fine on my end; are you sure that the map you're testing on is set up correctly?

For reference, here's the map I tested on.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

It's that some map from DUMP 2 that I first came across TID issues, MAP28. I've played a few more that had item TID events, but I can't recall them offhand, I need to search around. I'll test your test map out. Another thing worth mentioning, is that in that map, the TID is still on the armor when I attempt to pick it up but fail to due to maxed out encumbrance, but the trap/gauntlet fails to trigger at that point and any point afterward; the armor's TID only works if I wear it from the ground or store it in my inventory for the first interaction with the item, it's bizarre.

Edit: used latest dev build, tried keytest map, worked exactly as intended. Tried map 28 of DUMP 2 again and the armor TID trigger is now broken, though still has the TID present on the armor.

On another note, the classic rifleman loadout was broken at some point, as HD doesn't recognize 'lnb' in the loadout code, shorting you your main weapon. Is this just a typo of 'lib', or was that an old way of describing liberator w/o bullpup?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hit Ctrl+R in the loadout editor to set that loadout to its default in the cvarinfo - it sounds like your ini still has the old one. (and yes that was the old code for nobullpup lib)

dang dude 70MB for a mapset...

What exactly is picking up the armour (I assume it's the one that starts out right in front of you) on map28 supposed to do? It doesn't seem to do anything for me even without loading any other mods.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Oh thank you, I forgot HD uses the .ini file for loadouts.

Yeah it's a fat size, but it's to be expected for A: a ton of maps, and B: a fair amount of custom content for each author's contribution.

The armor I'm referring to actually isn't the green armor right in front of you at the start, it's the blue armor with a mancubus guarding it, due north from spawn by about...a mile or so. The armor in question with a TID of 63 forces a wave of imps to spawn in this mini arena, once picked up. Works fine for me in vanilla with GZDoom 4.5.0. This map not only necessitates the jetpack, but it's one of those rare maps that synergizes with it so well because it's so linear, you can hover over most of it. Well, until the end. A ton of troopers make short work of you if you try to quickly ascend to the exit before burning to a crisp.
NicoTheGoat

Post by NicoTheGoat »

The TID, special and args are being transferred; the problem here is the armour's special is called before it's picked up, but the script expects the armor to be gone when it's called.
Clearing the TID before calling the special fixes this specific problem, but that still leaves the case of scripts checking actor count by editor number.

Edit:
Having checked how this is handled by default, I think just clearing the TID is good enough. While there is a way to make HD compatible with scripts using `ThingCount( edNum, 0 )`, that fix could easily be invalidated by a player dropping an item.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks for the work, Nico, I would not have been able to figure this one out.

I've added a call to clear the TID as well as the special. If this item was going to disappear anyway then I don't see any more trouble clearing the TID here could cause for other stuff.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Great work on fixing that. Appropriate to that on any interaction, the specials trigger, rather than only if you pick it up.

I noticed at some point that keycards specifically lost their palette translation and size reduction. Was this by mistake? It fit the mod quite well and made them feel unique for HD, along with the half size translucent crystal skull keys. I forget what it looked like, a silver trim? I might have an old file sitting around to find out, but keycards at the moment are vanilla huge.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

After several iterations, keycards in various small form factors were deemed too easy to miss on unfamiliar maps (especially when mixed in with the various drops/pickups/debris that HD generates, not to mention blood splatter from gore mods). They're now considered "terminals" where you download access codes, hence the large size.

I'm sure it would be fairly straightforward to make a user mod / mutator to give them a different appearance. I might actually add that to Ugly as Sin, as a togglable option.

8-)
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Sure, but if you go with that logic, the skull keys should lose the 0.6 scale change so that they're normal vanilla size for the same purpose, but keep the translucency. And maybe reapply that silver trim or whatever I remember from years ago as they looked pretty distinctive while still looking pleasant. Trying to find the translation string it used, now.

Bug: monsters, seemingly while in a pain state, are able to fall off of map geometry and get stuck inside a wall once they fall down. I don't always notice this, as sometimes monsters will get stuck floating midair, just barely staying on a ledge from their bounding box (like vanilla,) but on occasion the 'stuck in a wall' bug will occur.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”