Hideous Destructor 4.3.3d

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby -Ghost- » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:31 pm

is there any way to cap how many weapons you're picking up? I appreciate the flexibility, but it's really easy to accidentally grab a ton of rifles when you're just trying to scrounge the bullets around them.
User avatar
-Ghost-
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2010

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby Matt » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:27 pm

Tartlman wrote:honestly, my opinion on the master is for the love of god just axe the mag cap and release the bullet rewrite already. There's already a ton of changes that will take a long time to get used to...
I might well be basically in a position to release a stable once the revised pocket system's bugs have been ironed out, but releasing now would mean there's a "stable" release targeting the latest GZD stable that crashes to desktop every other time you start, so I'm taking my time pending GZD 4.2.3.


-Ghost- wrote:is there any way to cap how many weapons you're picking up? I appreciate the flexibility, but it's really easy to accidentally grab a ton of rifles when you're just trying to scrounge the bullets around them.
I'll think about it.

EDIT: As long as no one's asking for "swap out the worse gun for the better" this can be fairly straightforward: check in the grabthinker of the limit condition is true, then abort.

Just what the condition should be is the problem. Pressing Firemode?
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby Matt » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:53 pm

really easy to accidentally grab a ton of rifles
Do you play with NeverSwitchOnPickup enabled? If so I can set up some behaviour specific to it.

(I was half wondering why unknowingly picking up guns would even be a problem until I remembered this setting existed EDIT: My point was that with autoswitch it's painfully obvious when you've picked up a new gun, and you can immediately turn and toss it aside with minimal interruption. Then again, if you're sprinting while picking things up...)


EDIT: In particular, here's my thought:
- with NSOP off, it's just the current behaviour.
- NSOP on, you don't pick up second guns of the same type unless your fists or that gun is selected. In the latter case you always switch to a just-picked-up second gun.


EDIT: Or the alternative: Same as above, but you only pick up second guns if the first gun of that type is not selected, and you do not autoswitch.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby 4page » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:02 am

(I was half wondering why unknowingly picking up guns would even be a problem until I remembered this setting existed)


I think the problem is that you end up with a whole bunch of the same gun adding a ton of unnecessary weight without realizing it. That happened to me when I first started playing when I finally realized that I was carrying a dozen assault rifles and they were slowing me down a ton.
User avatar
4page
 
Joined: 06 Aug 2019

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby Tartlman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:26 am

I feel like while the new icon of sin is cool, but has some problems:

A. Holy fucking shit, the new icon spawns way too many enemies. And it doesn't help that the arenas typically have very little cover.
B. The icon feels a little quiet compared to the way it used to be. I think it would be great if the icon talked a bit more, it's something that really sets HD's icon apart.
C. Won't the wave system kind of break maps that use icons to constantly spawn enemies without letting you kill it? (say, illuminati revealed in ancient aliens)
User avatar
Tartlman
shitposting with zscript
 
Joined: 11 Oct 2018
Location: meme hell
Discord: bogus#2947
Github ID: boogiebogus

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:29 am

without letting you kill it
I would say that the map is a broken map, but HD isn't what's breaking it.
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby Tartlman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:46 am

Matt wrote:
without letting you kill it
I would say that the map is a broken map, but HD isn't what's breaking it.

I meant maps that don't let you fight the icon in the traditional manner, and end with you telefragging the BossBrain or something.

Won't the BossEyes notice the present BossBrain and only spawn enemies in waves? Or does the wave functionality only start working after the BossBrain has awoken?

I haven't tested this yet, and won't be able to for a couple of hours.
User avatar
Tartlman
shitposting with zscript
 
Joined: 11 Oct 2018
Location: meme hell
Discord: bogus#2947
Github ID: boogiebogus

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby -Ghost- » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:26 am

Matt wrote:
really easy to accidentally grab a ton of rifles
Do you play with NeverSwitchOnPickup enabled? If so I can set up some behaviour specific to it.

(I was half wondering why unknowingly picking up guns would even be a problem until I remembered this setting existed EDIT: My point was that with autoswitch it's painfully obvious when you've picked up a new gun, and you can immediately turn and toss it aside with minimal interruption. Then again, if you're sprinting while picking things up...)


EDIT: In particular, here's my thought:
- with NSOP off, it's just the current behaviour.
- NSOP on, you don't pick up second guns of the same type unless your fists or that gun is selected. In the latter case you always switch to a just-picked-up second gun.


EDIT: Or the alternative: Same as above, but you only pick up second guns if the first gun of that type is not selected, and you do not autoswitch.


Ah, that'd make sense, yeah. I haven't played with auto switch on since the last time I picked up a rocket launcher and immediately killed myself. :P
User avatar
-Ghost-
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2010

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:29 pm

If there's no BossEye on the level, HD's BossBrain just sits there and immediately dies if damaged in any way whatosever. It also immediately dies if it takes exactly 1M damage (which is what happens when something is telefragged).

So right now, instead of my earlier suggestion, I think the best solution would be to require a NSOP player to be holding a button before they can pick up a second weapon. No idea what button that ought to be though, hence the previous suggestion of only allowing second pickup if the first weapon is selected.

Unless someone tells me otherwise I think I'll go with that latter option.
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby -Ghost- » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:46 pm

If just putting auto switch back on could fix it too, I can do that instead if it's easier than making a whole other setting. Some of it just has to do with the way stuff spawns on each other, too. If a rifle, it's grenades, ammo, etc spawned a little more scattered then you wouldn't pick up the extra guns too.
User avatar
-Ghost-
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2010

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:14 pm

I just realized there's a bug and there's no pickup message at all for your second X weapon onwards. -_-
And here I was writing up something to provide more feedback...


Anyway, at this point all I'm going to do is add a distinct, separately coloured message warning to a NSOP player that they now have multiple weapons of the same kind. Am considering whether to make this apply to everyone.
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby -Ghost- » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:25 am

That makes sense. You can check it in the extended inventory screen, but I do end up with like 8 rifles or something crazy every once in awhile.
User avatar
-Ghost-
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2010

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby Tartlman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:19 am

Matt wrote:If there's no BossEye on the level, HD's BossBrain just sits there and immediately dies if damaged in any way whatosever. It also immediately dies if it takes exactly 1M damage (which is what happens when something is telefragged).

So right now, instead of my earlier suggestion, I think the best solution would be to require a NSOP player to be holding a button before they can pick up a second weapon. No idea what button that ought to be though, hence the previous suggestion of only allowing second pickup if the first weapon is selected.

Unless someone tells me otherwise I think I'll go with that latter option.


What i meant is levels that have a "full" icon setup (brain, eye, and spots), but the brain is placed somewhere else from the eye where you can't shoot it. So the eye would be there, but the brain would just be chillin somewhere else and not allowing damage to be dealt to proceed to the next wave.
User avatar
Tartlman
shitposting with zscript
 
Joined: 11 Oct 2018
Location: meme hell
Discord: bogus#2947
Github ID: boogiebogus

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:20 am

Matt wrote:I would say that the map is a broken map, but HD isn't what's breaking it.
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor

Postby HaveYouSeenThisMan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:07 am

Hey Matt I have a suggestion,
there's a mod out there that makes offline bots run on GZDoom (even offline death matches):
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=64527
I wonder if you knew about this and could you make it compatable for the mod?
It'll be better than the current allies who just wander around aimlessly (eg. Office Assault for example)
HaveYouSeenThisMan
 
Joined: 20 Apr 2019

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heavypyro, Linkfluence.com [Bot], Melter, Mummelpuffin, PatCatz2004, PhysixCat, Ravazaak, Simple Pie [RSS], Tapwave, zrrion the insect and 23 guests