Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

Highlights of changes:
  • Renamed a bunch of actors and renamed all ZScript files. Check your mods!
  • Lots of little fixes including a crash on some explosions.
  • D.E.R.P.s occasionally could not be commanded if others have been deployed after them.
  • Multi-weapon stacking now responds the way one might think it ought to NeverSwitchOnPickup.
  • Blooper and revolver now on range.
  • Freedoom is now assumed to be the default canon that forms the basis of HD.
  • Revolver now always shoots on trigger pull.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Hey Matt, i have been doing a Hideous Destructor 2012 edit (currently called Hideous Destructor: Supercharged, in reference to the soulsphere) that's basically a Hideous Destructor that you can play online and in Deathmatch modes and could realistically allow you to beat most IWAD-difficulty levels (Just not Plutonia or harder) but that last one might not be possible and i haven't done much in that regard.

So i just wanted to ask you: Do you think the name is alright? Should i remove the Hideous Destructor or it's fine as long as there's a subtitle? Also, does it sound cool enough or should it be changed to sound better?
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Man this mod has come a long way. It's so much easier to get into these days thanks to all the little quality of life changes you've done. I used to only be able to get through a few maps, but between learning how the mod works and it getting continuously worked on I can beat whole episodes now.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

TDRR: I have no strong opinion on the name. It is well within the acceptable range.

Ghost: Welcome back!
mrtaterz
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mrtaterz »

Hey Matt! I've been playing this mod for god knows how long and have always been a big fan of it due to being a big Tactical Shooter nerd. My only complaint is the lack of...

Stun Grenades or Flash Grenades!

I was a Flash spammer when I played Rainbow Six back in the day. Every room got flashed before I cleared it.
You could make it so that when you toss a Flash Grenade at an enemy, they enter their Pain State and get stuck in it for a few moments so the player can take them out while they're stunned.
Matt

Post by Matt »

It might be considered after the massive bullet, health, damage, armour etc. overhaul is finished.

(and to think this started off as a re-implementation of the bullet code to fix one edge-case bug......)

Until then UaS is your friend.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

So. I beat the first episode of Ancient Aliens with Hideous Destructor. That was one hell of a trip (ha ha). It's probably the first modern megawad that i've done a large portion of with Hideous Destructor. I might continue the run sometime, but some maps have me concerned - and i'm pretty sure that without some massive gimmicky shit map29 is literally impossible with HD.

I feel pretty damn proud of myself.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

I found a bug by accident that allows the player to potentially skip certain maps.
If a line is "impassable", the player can teleport through it with the use of ladders.
Video below showcases a quick test map in which I made it work.

Using the latest master from github.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Can you give it a try now?
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Nope, I've downloaded the new master and the issue still persists.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

I've found another issue when playing the mod with freedoom.
The shells on the hud still appear as red instead of olive.

Using the latest master.

Edit: I also don't think the brontoris bolt is supposed to be this.... Big.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Bronto fixed, will take a look at the shell thing tonight.

As for the ladder bug, can you post that map? I can't recreate it due to my usual can't-map issues right now.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Of course, here's the map.
Though I've also made it work on classic doom E1M1 with the first room windows and the armor room windows.

Edit: While trying to make it work in doom 2's MAP01, hanging the ladder on the window resulted in it clipping through the ground.
Attachments
Test.wad
(2.73 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Out of curiosity, what's the intended difficulty level for HD? I usually play on the third one, but wasn't sure which one is how it's meant to be experienced. What do you guys play on?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

If you're playing on the last stable release:
Hideous is equivalent to ultra-violence, Grotesque is equivalent to Hurt Me Plenty, and Ugly is equivalent to Hey Not Too Rough. Much like classic Doom, these only differ in the amount of monsters, so you're not "missing out" on any mechanical depth or anything. I'd say that Grotesque is the "intended" difficulty, since HD's monsters are more dangerous than normal. Homely removes bleeding and reduces damage for a gentler intro to the combat mechanics, while Grimdark adds extra damage and fast monsters so it's the "hardcore" mode (Spooky is "Grimdark with less monsters"). Don't even bother with Nightmare, it's basically unplayable IMO.

If you're playing on the unstable / development master:
The difficulty levels are now completely equivalent to classic Doom's default options, and HD-specific difficulty mechanics are in the HD Options menu with Casual, Normal, and Hardcore presets available. Here I'd say Grotesque + Normal is the intended difficulty (Hideous + Hardcore = Grimdark, Ugly+Hardcore = spooky, Homely + Casual = the old Homely).

Really though, all these options are there for you to adjust as desired. There's no "right" way to play HD; it's meant to be a bit of a sandbox you can approach in your own style, so don't feel obligated to play a certain way if you find it too easy or too hard! Do what's enjoyable for you.

8-)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”