Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
MaxRideWizardLord

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.3.0]

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Oops... Appears it's been a while since last time I ckeck this thread, as even new release has came out, my apologies :c
mumblemumble wrote:Relax.

I think you are a bit hasty to judge me on this. I never said making imps effectively useless, and I'm not saying that at all.

Second, i don't think you understand thermodynamics, it depends on the armor, how much napalm, and where it hit. If you literally got 1 drop on the front of a ceramic vest for instance, you would probably be fine, but with heated ceramic possibly burning your chest. Heat doesn't just "go through" things, it matters the material, how porous it is, conductivity, ect, as well as if you are literally engulfed. Sure, white phosphorus can melt steel, but so can a welding arc, and I've welded plenty without burning to death, so i think i have a little room to speak.

Going off the doom novels, imps threw mucus, but it didn't home in. My guess would be charged spiritual energy, similar to that of a plasma cutter, but in a sort of "bubble", which pops on impact and transfers heat. Course, depending on how much of this heat hit, what material, if there was fuel residue for continuous burning, these all play as factors from a simpe 4th degree burn as a grazing hit on bare skin, to entirely ignorable with a little insulation, to lighting torn up armor shreds like kindling and burning you horribly. But that's for a single ball, and imps rarely fire just 1. A barrage of a handful would easily force kevlar to ignition point, even if just briefly, and the heat would probably work through the armor.

Besides, this could also make mancubi less pathetically easy, imagine the spit wads of gasoline heating up the area, making area denial zones, and immolating someone directly hit (coating them with gasoline).

All and all, i imagine this could make fire both more terrifying, and less cheap, which is what hd should be.

.... By the way, you really, really don't understand napalm. You act like its liquid nuke. Its simply very, very sticky fuel which burns roughly the same temperature as gasoline. You might be talking about white phosphorus (different) but even that isn't as powerful as you think. Its power comes from it being sticky and hot, and napalm burning underwater works because air bubbles in clothing. And 1 drop would be harmless in the context of combat.... A flamethrower with napalm sprays far more than a "drop" in a single puff. It also has to do with the fuel / surface area balance. Flamers work because its a fine mist of fuel with ignition, so all the fuel lights at once, where as a drop burns colder, since its only so much burning at a time. Its like how grain mills explode, but a box of cheerios DOESN'T explode.

------

I've been hurt by fires on the ground like twice, but never lit up. Honestly I'd like if fires on the ground were more hazardous to stand in but harmless to run through. This is another reason i want a rework, i shouldn't be able to squat on a fire roasting nuts unharmed, that is far from realistic.
I do understand all laws of thermodynamics, thanks. But I think you're completely clueless about how the napalm behaves. The structure of napalm made that way so it not only burns through all possible armor, BUT spread all around the place it hit AND infiltrate inside even tiny microscopical gaps between the metal, it isn't just "sticky fuel". So even if you wear some godlike super-dooper unbreakable cosmic armor from other dimension that no nuclear missle bomb would ever break, a single pew of napalm won't same you. I know this because I was really curious about the structure and behavior of napalm, since flamethrower used as an great anti-tank tool\weapon that effectively roast soldiers both in WW2 and vietnam war. Besides, the second type of napalm that was used during WW2 was almost as hot as thermite and could eventually burn even through the toughtest metals, EVEN under water. And this is 60's chemical, quite outdated in fact. I assume Mancubus would use even more advanced and progressed type of fuel that is not afraid of any armor, higher than even burning termite would have, since the game set in a lore where fight supernatural beings with futuristic technology. And even if doomguy using some other dimensional super armor that not afraid of direct hit of lasers, a single drop\spit of the napalm would still simply spread all around his hit body, eventually igniting the guy like a christmass tree. Using welding tools as arguments is ridiculous, since one is burning sticky spreading fuel designed to kill no matter what, other is mere burning gas that designed to be safe and not lethal if something goes wrong.

The reason why I said that IMP have homing spheres is because they are in this mod. That doesn't make them that much scary or even as a threat though, despite being oneshot. I still feel like these balls should be at least 3-4 times faster, because they have ridiculous slow moving speed that you easily could dodge even if it's 2 meters away from you, or even almost can outrun. If we assume it's some kind of supernatural "spiritual" energy, which they form in to physical flaming ball capable of rapidly releasing the energy (explode) upon impact and ignite, especially if it's mucus at it's core, then I could assume it's only greater than napalm, since not only you got hit with flaming liquid, by got blown up as the "spiritual" energy instantly released once it hit your (or hit something near you), spreading the mucus all over your body, which would spread and infiltrate under the armor too. IMPs are trully out of this world beings, capable to perform thing that is impossible even for our understanding, such as this "spiritual" energy incornated in to flaming mucus by mere their Will and MInd, a.k.a. Magic. For this very reason they are SUPERnatural, because they are greater than the natural laws of this very dimension that would deem these things as possible, and thus they can perform things that we would naturally assume as impossible, and yet making things like Magic be possible for them; for this reason I wish the "hellish" creatures could start regenerating health over time if they didn't get hit withing 15 seconds.
TL;DR: imp ball should be much even deadlier than napalm is, as it's something much more advanced than our mind can imagine; and besides, imps as of now barely even a threat, the speed of their projectiles must be much faster, otherwise I can't see a reason why would they use some high energy costly Magic that barely does it's job, since even the big amount of these imp balls barely change anything than if it was just one. Just like humans wouldn't use riffles against each other if it took 50 hits to face to finally neutralize the enemy during wars of past.

But yeah, mancubus should be far more of threat too.

Also, lol no. WW2 Napalm can easily go up to +1200°С, gasoline is about +900° in a PERFECT conditions. Unfortunatelly not much info I found about the temperature of second type of napalm, although claimed to get much higher. Yet we didn't mention the vietnam type of incendiary nades used termite that were specifically designed in mind that a SINGLE drop would murder anything on it's contant, since termite +3500°C, even though it's not entirely a liquid at this point. Also FYI, phosphorus temperature goes below than napalm and even gasoline, of about mere 800°C. Then again, if we talk about napalm independently, it made to be lethal even from single "drop" to make sure that it's effective anti-bunker, trench and tunnel weapon. Since the flamethrower operator had to fire them from almost maximum range for safety reasons, thus once the enemy soldiers who saw the flaming breath coming up their way and start to clinge to the farthest corner, the flame would still hit them a little and the flame would spread all over their body. If flamethrowers would be only effective for direct hit with liquid for some time, nobody would ever use them as they wouldn't be any useful for the purpose they were designed. But I guess 1 gramm of napalm or "drop" won't do much, yes, even though "drop" is rather figurative way of speech, but amount of mouthful spit hiting your body IS lethal.

Fires on ground would still harm you plently once you run over them even if they don't ignite you, depend on amount of flame there is however. It's not the same as running\jumping over little camp fire or waving your hand around candle.

Final TL;DR: Napalm is the real beast with hidden secrets that not much people know about, and there different types of it, yet all of them are quite the death even from single spit. And the things that NPC use should be even greater than what we have in real life consdering that they are both futuristic AND supernatural. The only (and not always) way to survive supernatural hit of IMP should be is to have supernatural overheal magical supercharge of your health that would you have by absorbing soulsphere\megasphere, not even rolling of floor or taking off all of the clothings should help you there. Since only supernatural Magic can counter another supernatural Magic. I'd get very upset if the imp won't remain lethal even with blue armor on, since I hardly view them as warriors, but rather as slow moving 'easy target practice' as they are now.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Caligari87 wrote:Matt, I was discussing a HD video in the ZDoom discord, and found out you could make circular scope textures if you wanted:
ZZYZX: So in the end there was a good reason to actually fix cameratexture rendering
Caligari87: I just wish we could have non-square / masked camera textures
Caligari87: He has to make the scope borders huge to hide the corners
ZZYZX: You easily can
ZZYZX: Attach a shader
ZZYZX: That drops pixels outside of the wanted shape
ZZYZX: (discard;)
ZZYZX: e.g. if length(UV-(0.5,0.5)) is larger than 0.5
ZZYZX: Then drop
ZZYZX: This is a circle
Dunno if you know much about shaders, but there's several folks who'd probably be willing to help if you wanted to get rid of the huge scope borders.

8-)
Interesting! I've grown used to the thick borders and I think they're helpful in focussing (though this could just be an illusion - the TB square sight works fine), but I know very little about how shaders work or where the information would even go.

But... would this implementation require doing a square root calculation on every pixel on the camera texture??? :shock:

YukiteruAmanoPH wrote:I was running the latest release version of HD with Tilt++ when it happened. I then tried loading Tilt++ before HD on ZDL, and what do you know, IEDs work again. Still have to test the *ERP commands, though
I always advise loading HD last, unless the other thing is already known (or supposed) to work with HD.

MaxRideWizardLord: I'm still sloooowwwly working out the new heat system. Hopefully something a bit more logical will be in place as a framework within the next couple weeks, after which the specific details of each weapon could be worked out .
MaxRideWizardLord

Matt wrote:MaxRideWizardLord: I'm still sloooowwwly working out the new heat system. Hopefully something a bit more logical will be in place as a framework within the next couple weeks, after which the specific details of each weapon could be worked out .
I'm happy to hear that, take your time. I just hope that projectile-based NPC will still remain lethal one-shooters, and possess even bigger threat than they do now.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:[Stuff]
Not even a single word of that is right. Napalm is not some magical liquid that burns everything. Every single thing you said about it defies the laws of thermodynamics.
It's also made even more wrong by the fact that there's lots of people who have survived having large areas of their body completely covered in napalm, like Phan Thi Kim Phuc.

Edit: Oh, and fun fact, people have survived getting their FACES covered in napalm.
MaxRideWizardLord

phantombeta wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:[Stuff]
Not even a single word of that is right. Napalm is not some magical liquid that burns everything. Every single thing you said about it defies the laws of thermodynamics.
It's also made even more wrong by the fact that there's lots of people who have survived having large areas of their body completely covered in napalm, like Phan Thi Kim Phuc.
Any evidence to claim that? I mostly used russian resources such as this - http://ognemet.net/51a.php but even then there is 800-1200°С number pop up if you don't want to use google translator, which is enough to melt a lot of metals - https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/melt ... d_860.html so that is most definitelly will burn through clothes of WW2\Vietnam era, especially back when they barely even wear any vest armor. There is website in english that proves my words though - http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Napalm
There isn't much of english wikipedia articles with notes of flamethrowers being used as anti-tank tool, but there are various other discussions to prove it. https://www.quora.com/Would-a-flamethro ... ank-weapon
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... ers?page=2
Unfortunatelly I haven't found much wikipedia about napalm burning underwater, but this source approves my words too - http://www.creative-science.org.uk/hollywood37.html
The source that confirm that napalm cannot be wiped out, and would only cause to spread more - https://www.warhistoryonline.com/vietna ... m-war.html
https://thevietnamwar.info/napalm-vietnam-war/
So nope, all of my claims aren't "Not even a single word of that is right" and so far backed up with sources.

The death of flamethrower mostly comes from pain shock, but some EXTREMELY rare number are lucky people who survive that and still keep going, yes, although that doesn't make up the dominant number of who luckily manage to survive by it as the total number of deaths disproves that. There are known cases where the guy got shot in head and the bullet goes all through brain and out on the other end and the person survives all that, that doesn't change the fact that getting shot in the head is pretty much lethal, with SUPER RARE cases when it's not. Using that logic, should we make headshots non-lethal?

In fact, another thing I forgot to meniton is that napalm also tends to asphyxiate enemies with it's toxic smoke, but that is irrelevant.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

> link to wiki article of famous person who survived napalm attack

> "Any evidence to claim that?"

It's awful stuff, but not an absolute killer any more than anything else is. Fire is an unpredictable thing even in the best of situations.

Anything with sticky flaming material will probably continue to act like fires currently do in HD after the overhaul - let you stop-drop-roll and take off the burning armour.

My current thought for the imps is that they'd be projecting some kind of semi-autonomous magical force field that sustains a ball of hot plasma inside, which ruptures on contact with the target and basically squirts the hot gas into them. The disintegrating force field could do a bunch of electrical damage all at once while the spray would take place over a few tics and can be mitigated by rapidly turning and moving (so the spray doesn't all hit the same spot). It could do quite a bit of damage, but would take a lot more to ignite a wet, living body and the player would almost certainly be dead before then.
MaxRideWizardLord

Matt wrote:> link to wiki article of famous person who survived napalm attack

> "Any evidence to claim that?"

It's awful stuff, but not an absolute killer any more than anything else is. Fire is an unpredictable thing even in the best of situations.

Anything with sticky flaming material will probably continue to act like fires currently do in HD after the overhaul - let you stop-drop-roll and take off the burning armour.

My current thought for the imps is that they'd be projecting some kind of semi-autonomous magical force field that sustains a ball of hot plasma inside, which ruptures on contact with the target and basically squirts the hot gas into them. The disintegrating force field could do a bunch of electrical damage all at once while the spray would take place over a few tics and can be mitigated by rapidly turning and moving (so the spray doesn't all hit the same spot). It could do quite a bit of damage, but would take a lot more to ignite a wet, living body and the player would almost certainly be dead before then.
The question that I asked which you quoted was more directed toward the claim that "Not even a single word of that is right" of what I said, rather than that one case of napalm survivor. I mean, there are cases people survive nuclear bomb explosion. In fact, there been one individual, Tsutomu Yamaguchi, who survived BOTH atomic bombs. We should totally make games where people immune to the nuclear and thermonuclear bomb\missiles. Besides, there many cases where people survive gunshots in head or anything else, even though statistic show that even a single would is mostly a lethal. And so far I've provided sources that confirm that you cannot so easily rid of the napalm out of you, attemting to take clothes or wipe it out will only spread it more, and neither drop and roll or even going under the swamp will save you most of the time.

As long imp could still doom you with unavoidable death on direct hit, I would like that however.

TL;DR: from the statistics that I've saw a while ago, napalm still deadlier than getting shot by pistol. Stop-drop-roll won't save from napalm either.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Hey, I'm having great fun with HD, but I'm experiencing something a bit weird. I imagine it's intentional that monsters can be alerted through walls by gunfire and etcetera, realistically everything in a "level" could hear a gun going off, but all of the alerted monsters are playing their "idle" noises. This becomes a problem on Map2 of Doom 2, for example, where almost every monster is constantly making their idle noise, causing a cacophony of grunts and etcetera. It gets annoying, and genuinely loud, very fast. Is there a way to fix this or is it just a necessary evil?
Matt

Post by Matt »

In HD they even make the noise before being alerted.

Not sure if I really want to fix it since it's capable of giving the player much-needed information.

EDIT: behold the power of vocal minorities:
2018-04-09 2200 PDT Currently #1 at 27 points (GMOTA, Hearts of Demons and Russian Overkill tied for second at 20)

Thanks everyone! :D
Jawnycat

Post by Jawnycat »

Heya, been rather enjoying this mod, still feels a fair bit too overtuned for difficulty in my taste being honest, but after I figured out how to move and dodge well, getting into high-stakes fights or breach and clearing rooms needing split-second actions makes for some damn nice gameplay. Love all the gunplay and the weapon changes. Still, that 30% damage reduction option is deeply appreciated, and more tweakables like that would be really nice.

Did wanna note some weird inconsistencies I've noticed in my playtime, like how I usually end up becoming more and more durable as a session progresses, by the third or fourth map I'm usually oddly sturdy compared to past ones, no longer bleed at all despite taking hits constantly, and sometimes even end up not dying when I really really should. I have rarely if ever had to use a medkit past the first one or two maps, which feels wrong. Had two instances of getting in a really bad spot with a chaingunner, getting completely unloaded into, and having my health actively refuse to hit zero despite all that. Falling into nukage pits and healing faster than I take damage to the point where I just reload instead of waiting to die. I think it has something to do with the 'magical healing' from potions/spheres or whatever, but if so that really runs away into a significant bank from, usually, a single sphere or just a potion or two from the whole session. Feels like something not working properly given your design goals, despite my appreciation for the more loose and fast gameplay and safety net it enables.

Also, I still have no idea what the armour shard pickups do, if the shadoweye item is supposed to do anything other than kill you when used, or what the point of picking up brass is. From the readme, I assumed picking up brass lets you 'make' bullets on level transitions, but never noticed getting any back, and also assumed armor shards made your worn armor more durable, but also never noticed an appreciable difference.

Still, damn nice mod!
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Jawnycat wrote:or what the point of picking up brass is. From the readme, I assumed picking up brass lets you 'make' bullets on level transitions, but never noticed getting any back
Between levels, brass from the Liberator (classic/heavy assault rifle) is combined with powder and shot from partial (not full or in-use!) magazines for the ZM66 (light assault rifle), making new Liberator rounds since they're fairly rare to spawn. You need to have both for it to work. Also make sure you're stacking your mags (user3 I think?) because otherwise the rounds just go into a pool and you get random mags when you're out of full ones.

8-)
LadyErisXII

Post by LadyErisXII »

Jawnycat wrote:Heya, been rather enjoying this mod, still feels a fair bit too overtuned for difficulty in my taste being honest, but after I figured out how to move and dodge well, getting into high-stakes fights or breach and clearing rooms needing split-second actions makes for some damn nice gameplay. Love all the gunplay and the weapon changes. Still, that 30% damage reduction option is deeply appreciated, and more tweakables like that would be really nice.
From what I'm reading, it sounds like you're stocking up on a bunch of magical healing items (blue sphere, blue potion, mega sphere) and not realizing that they do in fact make you more durable. In fact, if you turned them off, the game would be next to impossible because you'd eventually just take so much semi-permanent damage, you'd just die from a stiff breeze. As for the blurspheres, they only work effectively if you don't have any magical healing in you. If you do you burst into flames and die. If I recall the armor shard items give you a nice boost to your armor strength and prevent bleed damage and as someone already said, to reload ammunition for the liberator you need to scavenge the half empty magazines from all the ZM66 rifles on the ground and pick up all the brass you can, once you do you'll turn them into rounds during level transitions, then you can pack the magazines by setting the key in your config.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I just discovered this.

Before I make any changes, has anyone done any work using the args[x] stuff to customize zombiemen, marines, IEDs, etc.? Or can I go ahead and set up better user properties for this?
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Hey, thanks a ton for answering my question before, but I have another. This one doesn't really have anything to do with gameplay issues, it's more a curiosity thing. When the Player is unloading a pump-action shotgun, what exactly ARE they doing to unload it? Like, from a fluff/logic standpoint. I don't know much about guns, so the only real way I can think of to unload a shotgun of that design (as well as the only demonstrations I can find) involves chambering a new shell, then ejecting it without firing, repeating until the gun is emptied. This is actually possible, obviously, since you can eject unfired shells. (mainly by accident) So, when the unloading animation doesn't involve any kind of a pump sound effect or animation, it makes me curious.
LadyErisXII

Post by LadyErisXII »

Samarai1000 wrote:Hey, thanks a ton for answering my question before, but I have another. This one doesn't really have anything to do with gameplay issues, it's more a curiosity thing. When the Player is unloading a pump-action shotgun, what exactly ARE they doing to unload it? Like, from a fluff/logic standpoint. I don't know much about guns, so the only real way I can think of to unload a shotgun of that design (as well as the only demonstrations I can find) involves chambering a new shell, then ejecting it without firing, repeating until the gun is emptied. This is actually possible, obviously, since you can eject unfired shells. (mainly by accident) So, when the unloading animation doesn't involve any kind of a pump sound effect or animation, it makes me curious.
Well the easiest way I can think of is to repeatedly work the action until all the shells come out of the gun, but you can just as easily push on the feed cover and have the shells come out that way. They're under spring pressure and being held in place by the feed ramp after all, so pushing the feed ramp all the way up will give you access to pull the shells free.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”