Hideous Destructor 4.4.2c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated July 28, 2014]

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:12 am

I should note that if you time your forward leaps correctly you can completely avoid most of the stepping slowdown. Yes, this does mean leaping down a flight of stairs may be better than just moving down the stairs - I'll think of some way around that eventually.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Somagu » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:13 am

I'll also point out that kicking and lunging at the same time is more efficient and effective than sprinting. I have not mentioned it up to this point in case you somehow hadn't found out.
Somagu

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:16 am

Which controls are those? If you mean unarmed altfire+forward+space I find that the stamina runs out super quickly so it doesn't seem that much different.
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Somagu » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:41 am

What I mean is it's better for darting into cover or over gaps.
Somagu

Postby twinkieman93 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:11 pm

Vaecrius wrote:I should note that if you time your forward leaps correctly you can completely avoid most of the stepping slowdown. Yes, this does mean leaping down a flight of stairs may be better than just moving down the stairs - I'll think of some way around that eventually.

To be fair, freerunners tend to completely skip stairs and just jump over them for that exact reason, so at least it's grounded in reality. At least if you have fall damage on you can't do that for ridiculously large flights of stairs.
twinkieman93
The Bullfighter

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:00 pm

Is falling its own damage type? I can add a general check to see if at any moment there has been a sudden and drastic change in the player's velocity and implementing pain and fatigue based on that (which would also cover a running leap into a wall, being knocked back by a blast, etc.) but that would involve calculating the player's velocity in ACS every single tic which seems a bit bloaty.
Matt

Postby Caligari87 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:14 pm

I don't think a simple velocity calculation loop would slow things up that much, but you could probably get away with up to 8 tics. Not instant, but ~1/4 a second is still pretty fast.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Somagu » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:24 pm

Vaecrius wrote:Is falling its own damage type? I can add a general check to see if at any moment there has been a sudden and drastic change in the player's velocity and implementing pain and fatigue based on that (which would also cover a running leap into a wall, being knocked back by a blast, etc.) but that would involve calculating the player's velocity in ACS every single tic which seems a bit bloaty.

I'm not sure about this. Lots of doom maps operate on the assumption that the player has legs composed of some kind of impact-absorbing gelatin.
Somagu

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:52 pm

I implemented it last night in my local copy. Seems to work OK. It's nothing like the regular falling damage, but instead a very nominal amount of damage but your fatigue spikes and you're forced to slow down. The effect is mitigated if you are unarmed, or berserk, or both. (Imay add have added crouching as a mitigator as well.)
Matt

Postby Matt » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:03 am

Question: does anyone actually use burst on either the ZM66 or the SMG? I'm considering ditching it on the latter.
Matt

Postby Somagu » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:35 am

I use burst fire on the ZM66 because of the overheating. I do not use it on the SMG.
Somagu

Postby Big C » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:02 am

I use burst fire on the SMG for ammo conservation. I'm starting to dislike it on the ZM66 due to the recoil being surprisingly kicky, despite ostensibly being intended to reduce kick.
Big C

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated August 4, 2014]

Postby Matt » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Leaving them alone for this NEW UPDATE! then.

Changes:
  • Restored the cyberdemon's spamminess.
  • Added a nominal "falling damage" whenever you fall or slam into a wall (or monster!) too hard. Just a bit of pain and fatigue, no broken bones just yet. Mitigated when you are unarmed, have your weapon lowered, are crouching, or are berserk.
  • Got rid of that downward dip when you take damage, as otherwise you'd fall into a feedback loop and die from touching anything too fast.
  • Increased maximum fatigue level to 200.
  • Removed the momentum inheritance from the hand grenades. Problem was that they'd still end up spawning too low if you took a running start before throwing it off a ledge (e.g. Map15 starting room).
  • More tweaks to corpse-stumbling.
Matt

Postby Abba Zabba » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:15 pm

This update looks quite good...especially the removal of the damage dip :twisted: (which sounds like some kind of RPG food item that's only purpose is to harm you)

I don't know if you've tweaked the HUD since the update that changed ammo bars, but I'd recommend moving the SSG's right shell closer to the left.
Abba Zabba

Postby Slax » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:26 pm

How about giving the chainsaw blade durability? Or overheating, something like that. Maybe both? Use it too much and the thing breaks. Gotta pick up a new one.
Or give it limited gas.

Seems like something like that would fit with HD.
Slax
Saucy.
... in loving memory ...

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods