Hideous Destructor 4.7.1a

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 19 July 2008]

Postby Quadruplesword » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:00 pm

Whenever I try to load hideous destructor through the zip I get this error message:

Script error, "dcfunctn" line 106
"nointeraction" is an unknown flag

EDIT: Never mind, I found an SVN version that I can play this on. Now, a few questions:

1. Where on the HUD is the ammo I currently have left in my gun?
2. Why do you move so freaking slow?
3. I got shot once and my screen kept flashing red and the Doomguy face kept looking like I got shot. I even used a medikit and the same was still going on. WTH?
Last edited by Quadruplesword on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quadruplesword

Postby Imp Hunter » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:04 pm

FUCK! I cant beat the map01 :cry:
Imp Hunter
「It's not my fault」

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:54 am

Imp Hunter wrote:glomp! I cant beat the map01 :cry:
Heh, keep trying. :D Keep in mind you've got a lot of ammo, especially with zombies around, so don't take any unnecessary risks to save on weapon use.

Also, distance and staying behind cover are your friends.

If it's still too hard, the lowest skill level has the monsters do 1/3 the damage and you never bleed out. But has Hard monster placement. :D

Quadruplesword wrote:1. Where on the HUD is the ammo I currently have left in my gun?
2. Why do you move so freaking slow?
3. I got shot once and my screen kept flashing red and the Doomguy face kept looking like I got shot. I even used a medikit and the same was still going on. WTH?
1. It's the blue bar to the right of the mugshot. You can't see the exact number, but the bar is always scaled for the magazine plus chamber, so 2/3 full for the assault rifle means about 20 rounds, but 4 rocket grenades for the RL and 6 shells for the pump shotgun.

You'll just have to remember if you've loaded the underslung grenade launcher. ^^;

2. I've set the normal running speed to be a brisk but encumbered run - which, of course, is much slower than the speed the Doomguy normally runs around at.

That said, the sprint key lets you run at vanilla-Doom-level speeds for a short while. It should be Z by default; if you've already bound Z, find a key and bind it to +hd_sprint.

3. I should've mentioned this in the manual, but there are two basic kinds of pain flicker in HD: the lingering pain, which appears at low health and doesn't go away until you die or recover to higher health, and the "getting hurt" flicker, which is dark red and appears whenever you lose health.

If the continued flashing is a bright red that you can still see through, then use a stimpack to take your health above the flashing-red levels. If this flash is becoming unbearable, keep in mind it's absent at the lowest skill level.

If you're getting the black flash, however, that means you're still bleeding out. After using the medikit you must wait a few seconds for the healing to work, using up some stimpacks as necessary to keep you from dying while you wait. If the black flash still hasn't completely gone away, use another medikit or (if it's very sporadic and you're at high health) wait a while.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Quadruplesword » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:29 am

Oh, ok. Thanks for the answers.

EDIT: Despite this mod's absurd difficulty it's pretty good and I like it. I take it a lot of time and effort went into this?
Quadruplesword

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Quadruplesword wrote:I take it a lot of time and effort went into this?
On and off since '06, though the basic concepts had been floating around in my head (and screwy DEHACKED version on hard drive) since '04.
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Quadruplesword » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:55 pm

Perhaps you could make the bleeding thing optional? (Like you can turn it off) Almost any damage causes you to start bleeding, and since you have so little health it can totally screw you up during a heated firefight.

Also, the Rifle sprite looks like it's backwards. It looks like Doomguy has his left hand on the trigger and his right hand holding the gun up.

Any tips on how to survive?
Quadruplesword

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:33 pm

Quadruplesword wrote:Perhaps you could make the bleeding thing optional? (Like you can turn it off) Almost any damage causes you to start bleeding, and since you have so little health it can totally screw you up during a heated firefight.
I'll think about it. (And I'm actually serious this time too :P - this is easily the biggest change in gameplay since slowing the player down.)

Also, the Rifle sprite looks like it's backwards. It looks like Doomguy has his left hand on the trigger and his right hand holding the gun up.
That is intentional. :D Doomguy is left-handed throughout - the only weapon in HD where he's clearly pulling the trigger with the right hand is the pump shotgun, and that's because the casings eject to the right, while the rifle and plasma rifle have no casings to eject and are ambidextrous.

Any tips on how to survive?
Play at medium skill. :D

Exploit the rock-stupid AI and be where they can't be.

Take out the healer imps first.

Start with the rifle. It's like having an emergency rocket launcher with zero weapon switch time - learn to use it, and chances are you'll be safe to reload before you have to do so.

There are no noncombatants, no property laws, and plenty of ammo. When in doubt, saturate the place with fire and grenades.

Always try to get everyone to make a beeline for you so you don't waste time turning and maneuvering when you attack.

You can take one step before the run-and-gun accuracy penalty kicks in, so stay close to a corner and don't take too much cover.

Fire whenever you sight the enemy. It makes you harder to hit.

Practice cooking off the grenades.

The emergency backup spawns in front of you for a reason. :D

And finally, some situations are just plain impossible to survive without backup. A lot of those grab-item-walls-drop-you're-surrounded ambushes, for example, can kill you in a second that would just leave a scratch in vanilla Doom. It might be necessary to play with -host 1 and clean up the mess on your next respawn.
Matt

Postby Quadruplesword » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks!

This mod seems like it's more meant for Ultimate Doom rather than Doom 2. Most of Ultimate Doom's levels had little walls and pillars that you could crouch behind. Doom 2 is more open and firefight friendly.

Actually, this mod seems to make facing a horde of zombies a lot harder than facing a couple of barons of hell, thanks to their increase in power. I really wish, though, that the custom SVN version of gzdoom didn't have that sound glitch. If you hold down and rapidly scroll your cursor over all the options in the options menu you hear nothing, but when you exit back into the main menu and resume play you'll be in for a surprise :o . And in-game, one second the sound isn't loud enough, the next second the glitch kicks in and everything becomes too loud.
Quadruplesword

Postby zerglin87 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:31 pm

"Script error, "hd.wad:DCHEAVY" line 1024:
"wallbouncefactor" is an unknown actor property"

.....im using the latest GZdoom, and im getting a bit pissy... :x

Quadruplesword wrote:EDIT: Never mind, I found an SVN version that I can play this on. Now, a few questions:

Link please?
zerglin87

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:04 am

Matt

Postby Quadruplesword » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:18 pm

Something really cool you could try is location damage (headshots deal more damage than chest hits) to make things even more realistic. I'm sure it's possible.

Also, a console command to turn off bleeding would be nice.
Quadruplesword

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:44 am

Quadruplesword wrote:Something really cool you could try is location damage (headshots deal more damage than chest hits) to make things even more realistic. I'm sure it's possible.

Also, a console command to turn off bleeding would be nice.
Simple locations are possible. Head, definitely. Head/torso/legs, might be problematic but theoretically possible. No arms or other horizontal stuff though - that's just way too much effort.

What concerns me though is the game balance - it's easy enough to suffer some really lame random bullshit death in HD, which I think is part of the charm :D, but maybe random one-shot kills are a bit much? (But then again, just about everything aims for the middle of the body anyway, so it's only at long distances that the risk increases)

I'll think about the console command. An alias that cheats and gives you an inventory flag that stops the bleeding script should work - it's easy to count as a cheat.

EDIT: Got the cheat. Type hd_nobleedcheat in the console to toggle it.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 09 August 2008]

Postby TypeSaucy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:32 pm

i think u discussed this before, or didnt made the option about it or whatever,but is there a way to play this in multiplayer (like you said, uh... i think) since this dont work in skulltag? :?

no complaining, but is there anyone here who noes wheres any map wads to suit this mod?
TypeSaucy

Discord: TypeSaucy #3162

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 09 August 2008]

Postby Matt » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:36 am

X-CrAzYkOoL-X wrote:i think u discussed this before, or didnt made the option about it or whatever,but is there a way to play this in multiplayer (like you said, uh... i think) since this dont work in skulltag? :?
Basically just ZDoom multiplayer. :/

...which I still haven't properly tested with two people over an internet connection. >_>

no complaining, but is there anyone here who noes wheres any map wads to suit this mod?
Some dude was working on a couple a while back and he posted a demo vid of the very beginnings of the map, but I haven't heard anything from him since.

I would recommend looking for maps that are either based on real-life places, or maps that have lots of subtle sources of cover and mix CQB with really long ranges (Mars War is really good IIRC), especially those ones from the mid 90s where people still used keyboards and had to put up with vanilla Doom's horrible slug-mouse making even Episode 1 a challenge.

Anyway, I'm back mostly to do a bug/compat fix which I've just finished - I'm not getting any error messages, at any rate.

Homepage

Direct download link
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 22 December 2008]

Postby Ethril » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:00 pm

:?
I can't load it. I got the latest versions of HD, Zdoom, and GZdoom, and it doesn't work with either of them. I just get a stupid access violation. :[

edit: this appears to be a problem with the latest SVNs, or perhaps my computer, instead.
edit again: was my computer; i rebooted and now it's loading up just fine.
edit ONCE AGAIN: Are you sure you uploaded the new version? The downloaded files appear to be from august, same as the last release, and I'm still getting jumptarget errors.
Ethril
F1

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods