Hideous Destructor 4.7.0a

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 02 Jan 2008]

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:17 pm

Well, now that everything's generally pretty much running glitch-free (notwithstanding a bizarre crash that I can't replicate) I think I'll just make another post here "officiating" the version dated 9 Jan 2008 on the page.

Updates since last post:

• Crouching now slows you down, but also helps you manage recoil.
  • TEAMINFO now internalized into the wad and the respective colours assumed by the ACS scripts.
  • Lowered the maximum health you can have before using both the medikit and the stimpack (now 40/60, used to be 60/?80). Not sure if this is an improvement or not.
  • Sped up the pump-action shotgun reload.
  • Made the killer barrel mutation rate customizable in singleplayer only.
  • Set up a hopefully not too counterintuitive system where you can toggle automatic reloading by mashing the reload key during a reloading sequence.

Future plans:

• Empty shotgun shell casings and spent batteries. (I'm actually being serious here. There's no reason not to do them at this point.)
  • Retooling the status bar as necessary.
  • New maps and graphics, because a plan is never complete without including a list of things that don't happen. (I can literally spend all day dicking around with code but make me take more than half an hour to design something spacially with a computer and my brain just crawls out of my ear...)

Courtesy download link
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 09 Jan 2008]

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:08 am

I finally got around to those shell casings. No empty mags or cell packs yet, though.

Fixed a bug where hitting reload on some weapons without actually reloading would slow you down until you actually reloaded or switched weapons.

As a minor cosmetic change, I've gotten rid of the red crosses on the health powerups. I doubt they'll be particularly missed.

download
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Bug

Postby Scorch » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:55 am

When i attack with chainsaw game falls.
Versions - 1.0.30 and 32.

Thanks for great mod! :P
Scorch

Re: Bug

Postby Matt » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:04 pm

Scorch wrote:When i attack with chainsaw game falls.
Versions - 1.0.30 and 32.

Thanks for great mod! :P

Ooh, right, forgot to check that. Fixed.

Thanks for the feedback.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 20 Jan 2008]

Postby Tenement Funster » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:28 pm

Can you change the Babuin's sprite? It's too small, looks weird, and quite frankly, is just plain ugly.
Tenement Funster
I'M A JERK!!!!

Postby Captain Ventris » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:40 pm

Tenement Funster wrote:Can you change the Babuin's sprite? It's too small, looks weird, and quite frankly, is just plain ugly.

Is that the Demon replacement? Odd sprites, but it's got some great behavior coding.
Captain Ventris
Buy my novel, “The Shadow Among The Stars” on Amazon or Itch.io!

Postby Tenement Funster » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Captain Ventris wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:Can you change the Babuin's sprite? It's too small, looks weird, and quite frankly, is just plain ugly.

Is that the Demon replacement? Odd sprites, but it's got some great behavior coding.

Yeah it is. It'd be ace if it kept the same coding, but just uses the original Demon sprite or something.
Tenement Funster
I'M A JERK!!!!

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:15 am

I'll take a look at respriting sometime, but seeing that I've been saying that to myself for about a year and a half (basically since I first put those sprites in as a two-hour rush job) I'm not guaranteeing anything in the foreseeable future.

Before I put those in I did in fact use the demon sprites, but the stubby-legged demon leaping like that looked even worse.
Matt

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:35 am

Hmm... now that I try it again it doesn't look quite that bad.

What do you guys think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt

Postby Tenement Funster » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:57 am

I don't have a clue what to do with that file D:
Tenement Funster
I'M A JERK!!!!

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:28 am

start -> run

zdoom.exe -file hd.zip decorate.hddemonstandalone.txt -warp 08

Insert appropriate paths where the filenames are

map08 just because of the demon room

hd.zip optional
Matt

Postby Matt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:02 pm

I'm planning to upload the next release on Valentine's Day. Not much planned, except that I've committed the change to the babuin (putting me back down to 250k compressed! woohoo!) and I've dicked around a bit with the pain effects. I'm trying to hold back on doing anything DECORATE-related until I can get started learning the new format, but two things I've got in mind:

1) Weapon strikes when out of ammo. I've avoided this since it implies that I might need animations, but hell with that. :biggrin: However, I am concerned about how this will make the code a pain to manage when combined with the auto-reload option. So my question: Does anyone actually use auto-reloading, or can I take it out for good?

2) Mantling. I have a pretty good idea of how I could implement this (involving two invisible dummy actor spawned by A_FireCustomMissile and A_SpawnItemEx respectively and A_GivetoTarget with a custominventory item with ThrustThingZ in its pickup state), but not how to do this without assigning a special key. Any ideas?
Matt

Postby Ryan Cordell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:47 am

Finally, mantling! :P

Any who, I'd have an idea considering it was already in the Duke Plus mod by DeeperThought, maybe you could utilize mainly ACS with a little bit of the Pythagorean Theorem [sic]? :P
Ryan Cordell
PDA Man

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Blade Nightflame wrote:Any who, I'd have an idea considering it was already in the Duke Plus mod by DeeperThought, maybe you could utilize mainly ACS with a little bit of the Pythagorean Theorem [sic]? :P

How does it work in Duke Plus? What I'm aiming for is something that the player must do manually (ideally by going up to a suitable ledge and hitting the use key) - the main problem I want to get around being that, in the current system, by automatically climbing the ledge it becomes needlessly difficult to hide behind cover without suddenly exposing yourself completely.
Matt

Postby Unknown_Assassin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:26 pm

Vaecrius wrote:I'm planning to upload the next release on Valentine's Day.

*Looks at title of the WAD*

What a great day to release your WAD. :mrgreen:

...Sorry, couldn't help it.
Unknown_Assassin
Bow down to the Protoss Race!!

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods