Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
abbuw

Re: Hideous Destructor

Post by abbuw »

Matt wrote:.355 revolver will be fully available in the next release (and is pretty much fully functional in master, just needs proper sight picture code)
Oh man, that revolver's really slick! I think the dry firing sound should be different than the standard HD weapon clunk sound though.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

I finally got around to giving this mod a fair shake after watching others play it for so long, and holy shit it's awesome. I'm sure you've heard a bunch of other people talk about how mechanically satisfying the weapons are but I really like how the Hunter feels, the burst fire of the ZM66 is a lot of fun, and the Thunder Buster is probably one of my favorite takes on a plasma gun I've seen in a Doom mod.
One thing I've noticed is self applied second flesh now takes a fair amount of time to work its magic, and while I was mainly doing it for fun, have you considering laying down by playing dead to help speed up the healing/flesh process? It'd help speed things up a little but also pretty much leave the player completely helpless seeing as getting back up in red condition isn't really an option, so you're trading the ability to defend yourself for the sake of speeding up the second flesh treatment.

And thank you for the ability to flick boogers, that's the best co-op feature.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Thanks! (and added!)
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Matt wrote:Thanks! (and added!)
YOU ABSOLUTE MADMAN.
Generik

Post by Generik »

Cor, was just passing the time standing there like a goon, glad to have found that!
I'm not quite sure how to put this, but are the scanlines (nightvision) supposed to be sported as solid black bars, or are my graphics settings messing it up?
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Given the way that shader works I think it depends a lot on video settings, resolution and GZDoom version... it already looks different for me in 4.1 than it did previously and I hadn't even touched it since.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Seems timely to interject with a plug for my custom nightvision shader for HD. Pretty simple to override, just put the nitevis.fp file into a .wad or .pk3 as a text lump and load after HD. The resfactor variable controls how much the screen resolution is divided down (4 = 1/4th screen res), and the colorfilter variable controls how green the shader is, so it's tweakable. Scanlines are always 1 native pixel tall.

Video demo [Streamable.com]

@Matt I know you probably won't want to implement this as-is because we seem to have differing opinions on the nightvision :lol: but perhaps it could be cannibalized for whatever effects you wanted to achieve.

8-)
Wafflehulk

Post by Wafflehulk »

Hey Matt. Currently I am experiencing a game breaking glitch in which if I use a grenade or any other explosive weapons, upon firing it will crash my game. This is only on screen though. For example, I threw a grenade around a corner, it blew up, I rounded the corner, the game crashed. I am guessing the crashes are having to due with the shrapnel of the grenades. Is there any way I can fix this.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

By any chance, have you considered a means of launching ladders on higher ledges? Like loading them into a blooper or underslung grenade launcher to deploy a ladder on a spot where you can't jump high enough? I think out of all the tools right now, the ladder is my favorite, it's really satisfying to have that level of verticality.
Also during a co-op session we've found out flicking boogers is an effective means of detecting fake barrels, which is hilarious.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Wafflehunk: I've never had any other reports and people seem to have been using explosives regularly. Is this a VR crash to console or a crash to desktop? What are the exact steps to replicate this, including GZDoom version and all other mods being loaded?

Kegan: I've been working on an assumption that there needs to be some modicum of direct human input in aligning the ladder top so it actually sticks to the surface it's on, so I don't intend on expanding this much beyond the current "just in front of you and a bit higher than you can jump" height.
Matt

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

Highlights:
  • hd_blacklist server cvar lets you select items that people should not start with. This does not prevent anything from spawning.
  • The Slayer's firemode double-shot will now try each barrel no matter which fire button you actually press.
  • Added Skelegant's cyborg sprites for the fist.
  • New SMG and blooper sprites.
  • An actual revolver! Reloading is a bit involved, so read the use-helptext carefully.
  • Alternate reload for pistol and revolver now lets you quickly switch to a second handgun of the same type.
  • Buff to blue armour.
  • YOLO mode now has a magic ritual that heals everyone.
  • Custom-chambered Boss rifle now racks much more smoothly.
  • Some changes to resources to skew in favour of public domain or free/free-ish things.
  • Numerous other fixes and tweaks.
Matt

Re: Some temporarily unnamed mod

Post by Matt »

Given this clusterfuck I am going to revisit the idea of renaming this mod.

The ideal candidate shall:
  • Involve some kind of wordplay around ugliness or sin, but not actually using those words
  • Have no more than 2 words
  • Be uniquely unconfusing as opposed to other Doom mods
  • Not be abbreviated into a common descriptor for a totally different kind of Doom mod (e.g., "high definition")
  • Not resemble some other clearly trademarked thing
  • If a Bible quote, be from a public domain translation (King James has a special copyright in the UK)
  • Work for both Doom and Freedoom

EDIT: Ironically enough, thus far my best candidate is Rod of Iron, being evocative of both Scripture and a gun barrel in a conveniently not-creepy-American-chauvinist sort of way.
affandede

Post by affandede »

Deathvoid? I thought of this because the mc (I refuse to call him Doomguy) cannot truly die and damned to die and die again, and since he keeps dying, he is not actually dying. Thus, he is void of death.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I said so in the Discord as you probably saw, but I really think this is excessively reactionary. While HD is more than its name, the name is an important part of its identity. There are also a lot of mitigating factors here, and Hideous Destructor isn't even in the same legal ballpark. Please, please, take a while to simmer down and rethink this.

(sidebar, Deathvoid is incredibly generic and I'd be shocked if there's not an actual copyright on it already. Sorry affandede.)

8-)
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

TIL "Hideous Destructor" came from a Judas Priest lyric.

I don't think you have to worry about it. For one, it's from a lyric, not a title or brand name or whatever. Two, it's a mod, not a whole video game being sold for money. And three, your mod is significantly more obscure than Ion Maiden is. I don't think you have to worry about it.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”