Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Abba Zabba

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated June 23, 2014]

Post by Abba Zabba »

There's not a specific head actor you could assign to the imp to prevent this? Probably with the same resistance as the rest of it's body since the fireballs aren't concussive, like a punch to the face or a bullet to the back of the head.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Or I could just make heads immune to fire entirely, since nothing that could set the head on fire would not also set the body on fire. (Explosions would also be handled similarly.)

The much, much bigger problem is that a projectile originating from a body cannot be programmed not to hit a separate head actor - there's no way for it to recognize that these two actors should both be treated as its owner.

I believe the way Sgt_Mark_IV does it is to have a monster spawn the head target actor every frame except for those frames where a projectile is coming out of it, versus the system I had where a single head actor was spawned and it constantly called A_Warp to stay in the same place.

Problem is, this method takes a lot of bloat and given the crazy stuff I need to do for monster behaviour already I simply do not have the time, mental health or attention span to maintain something like that.

Looking at the Brutal Doom code it seems SM4 manages to save his sanity by leaving things somewhat imprecise, so there's a slight lag between updates. This is almost totally unnoticeable in BD's gameplay, but with HD's slower player movements, faster monster movements and more precise weaponry this compromise becomes quickly unacceptable.

That said... the A_Warp could always just be added to the existing head actor.

...as for implementing this on the player... yeah, I think I remember the real reason why I gave up on headshots. :|
marble

Post by marble »

what about this for headshots?: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... =headshots
also doomguy could recieve reduced headshot damage, since he has a helmet.
that would also mean rifle jackboots would be more resistant to them.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Using that instead of the rapid-spawn method creates more problems than it resolves, especially if the blood actor is spawned at a contact point where the monster's hitbox is right on a ledge. Also since you're using the total hitbox either you're giving up armshots (super narrow hitbox) or you're making lethal hits where you ought to be missing entirely (though admittedly the current system where you deal normal damage in that situation isn't that great either).

EDIT: I should clarify that my concern about the player is not the increased lethality, but having to consider crouching, shooting and sprinting, and being able to shoot straight up at any moment. An attempt would face 3 problems that I am aware of:
a) it would leave headshot code everywhere all over the place, for one tiny little effect many players might not even notice;
b) having to remove the head actor even for 1 tic to make way for a shot means you end up being able to stay "headless" for prolonged periods of time by firing the vulcanette or thunder buster; and
c) the interaction with the weapon collision code probably forecloses on this anyway.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Brutal Doom actually has problems with the head thing anyway. This comes up a lot more noticeably in my BDSM (Brutal Doom Sans Munitions :>) private mod, but if a bunch of zombiemen or imps are clustered together, shooting them in the head will call an a_explode that kills ALL of them. It was either this, or the fact that blood might have somehow been able to hurt people (I didn't look very closely) that would often cause you to gib yourself when you jump kicked an enemy. Anyway, it was all a huge pain in the ass, and getting it to work on top of HD just makes me cringe thinking about it.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

If head shots are such an issue, then stealth should be worked on. Alt-fire with the fist could function as a neck snap when you're behind a dormant imp or zombie.

Bring back PI's and make them carry-able and I can see the combination being quite useful for large, open (open as in sound can freely travel) areas with swathes of mooks.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated June 30, 2014]

Post by Matt »

Somagu wrote:BDSM (Brutal Doom Sans Munitions :>)
:V

HD doesn't have anything remotely resembling BD's gore effects (and never will, this is a strictly adults-only mod), which I think are contributing to the odd bugs by bringing in so many different damage-related considerations, so that's a bit less for me to worry about, but

What I really would like to do, though, on the subject of heads, is to be able to put the player's view about 8 pixels in front of the player's axis of rotation. The effect when turning is very subtle but adds to the immersion quite a bit. I can do this with a camera actor (with the neat side effect that you can look down and see your legs!) but I lose things like viewbob and weapon sprites. :/

After a few tries with meleeing the first zed on Map01 without waking the others, I think right now it's as hard to do so as I want it to be. Maybe a tiny bit harder, but not enough for me to really want to change anything.

I have no plans of bringing back the blursphere. Because of the way their aiming is implemented most monsters are immune to +shadow at this point and the non-targeting is just too random to be interesting.

...anyway, NEW UPDATE! without any of the above improvements.

What I did change:
  • Bugfix: Manual still had a reference to alt reload unloading a mag from the chaingun, when in fact that function is assigned to zoom and alt reload loads a cell.
  • Bugfix: You could not actually support your gun on a raised ledge in front of you. Simplified this system to a simple fastprojectile collision check. (For reference, try aiming a chaingun from right behind those little square thingies in the big room in Map01.)
  • Bugworkaround: In software mode the scope view for the rifles and Thunder Buster would have a tiny weapon sprite inside it. This is apparently an unavoidable side effect of using a player as a camera. I've added a new actor for each player that now serves as the camera actor.
  • Changed the way support works. The little raised thingies on Map01 can now help support your gun!
  • Supported chaingun now a little easier to aim.
  • Crouching now slightly dips your aim and costs fatigue and movement, but resets your standing angle.
  • Added a new warp animation.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

An extended viewpoint would be cool, as it feels like his neck is cemented inside his helmet.

So the semi-auto won't be a variant? The pros seem to heavily outweigh the cons and make it a bit op, though I'll admit around zombies and their one shotting ways, a pump does make me feel more secure.

Also, bullet #2 and #4 are practically the same. :P
Matt

Post by Matt »

Semi-auto what? If you mean the shotgun, I've been thinking of making it semi by default (if it jams I'm sure someone will start desperately mashing things until they find the altfire, or just assume reload alone clears the jam and continue on in tragic ignorance - or be like me in being way too anal about ammo to risk ejecting a live round).

Also, I could have sworn I hit Cut instead of Copy there... ::fixes page for next upload::

EDIT: As for what I'm talking about wrt the view, the code is in there. The simplest edit, the one that does not involve mucking about with camera views, is to find and uncomment out this in the ACS:

Code: Select all

//SetActorPosition(0,GetActorX(0)+((Cos(newangle)-Cos(oldangle))<<3),GetActorY(0)-((Sin(oldangle)-Sin(newangle))<<3),GetActorZ(0),0);
Just stay away from any ledges.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Is it normal for any of the helmeted zombies to drop two rifles? I guess it's a back up in case of a jam.

Even though I haven't played deathmatch with anyone in this mod or with a round of bots (does HD have custom bots?), I'd like to see a console command that restricts a class to only picking up weapons and ammunition matching their loadout. You know, just in case HD is set up for bot play.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Lava Grunt wrote:Even though I haven't played deathmatch with anyone in this mod or with a round of bots (does HD have custom bots?), I'd like to see a console command that restricts a class to only picking up weapons and ammunition matching their loadout. You know, just in case HD is set up for bot play.
A few versions back I tried out a botmatch with HD and found it to be surprisingly satisfying -- when the bots were doing something other than staring at corners. They seemed to spawn in with random loadouts and, as they do not understand the pickup mechanics, they used only what they had. Made for a good variety. Of course, if you hear a plasma weapon charging, you kill or run, heheh.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Unable to reproduce - I only ever see one rifle being dropped.

I've managed to hack together, now that you mention it, a way to "replace" the bots with friendly riflemen. For some reason this causes a huge slowdown after a few minutes of play but I can't figure out why - it doesn't even have anything to do with the "bots" dying, it happens even when only I am getting killed. because I lost track of when a function was called and so the bots were spawning new riflemen every second. Fixed.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I'm pretty sure it was one of the gray-with-the-tinge-of-red marines that can spawn in place of a shotgun guy, but I remember that way before they came along that resurrected marines would drop two every time. It's been awhile since I've had to fight one, so it might not be a problem anymore. I'll keep an eye peeled next time I hop on.
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

Hideous Destructor won't launch with Ultimate Doom.

Running with GZDoom:

Code: Select all

Script error, "hd.pk7:animdefs.txt" line 31:
Unknown texture slime06
Anyone else getting this?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Crap, thought I fixed that already.

Still can't reproduce the thing with the 2 rifles.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”