Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.5.1]

Post by Matt »

To turn off falling damage, use a ladder on the ledge in question and climb down that instead of jumping down.

I'll think about it.

Incidentally, this article might of interest to the sort of folks who play HD.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Matt wrote:I'll think about it.
It does open up some maps with huge drops and impossible jumps for HD, and it does make it more open for more players.

Counter point, although some maps require creative jumping skills with HD to be able to work, I still think that the ladder can be used in most maps. If a map requires you to get off of a high ledge at the start, bring a ladder in a custom loadout. If there's any tall jumps or huge gaps, drop additional equipment so you have more reach and make sure to hold down space to grab onto any ledge if your jump falls short. If you're going for a purist approach without any gear,improvise. If there's aheck-load of enemies spawning under that ledge, throw down a few grenades and a herp/derp combo, spice up on berserk!

Anyone remember Duke+? It was a duke nukem mod where, along other things, you could drop down and hold onto ledges, shimmy along them etc.
Is that even remotely possible in Zscript?
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The main thing preventing me from trying something like that is that I have no way of telling for sure which textures would be climbable, so there will always be a substantial number of edge cases where either you can climb something you shouldn't be able to (lava flow, illusory wall, flush glass surface) or you can't climb something you should be able to (shallow waterfall with handy rocks sticking out under the water, big metal fan grill). With custom maps it would be a frequent enough inconsistency to be unbearably annoying.

It's already enough of a stretch of the imagination that the hook on top of this ladder is able to stick to virtually anything.

EDIT: Oh, right, "along" ledges horizontally. Should be possible, actually... just gotta find a sane way to implement it...
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Matt wrote:... just gotta find a sane way to implement it...
I mean, it was more of a thought, no need to implement it.
<w< but if it were possible, that could be a mod on it's own.

Edit: Speaking of breaking legs, how does one properly maneuver the crusher's switch jump?
I usually just drop all my shit, jump, wait till I recover, proceed and hopefully make the second jump with 5 hp left, then recover.
I imagine you're supposed to use berserk?
Last edited by DavidWolfe on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Honestly, I never minded the mod's insistence on fall damage. The ladder is a deeply appreciated tool though.
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

Matt wrote:To turn off falling damage, use a ladder on the ledge in question and climb down that instead of jumping down.

I'll think about it.

Incidentally, this article might of interest to the sort of folks who play HD.
Doesn't work on the fast lifts.
Matt

Post by Matt »

DavidWolfe wrote:Edit: Speaking of breaking legs, how does one properly maneuver the crusher's switch jump?
I usually just drop all my shit, jump, wait till I recover, proceed and hopefully make the second jump with 5 hp left, then recover.
I imagine you're supposed to use berserk?
Those are the two ways that I'm aware of.

The main thing about falling damage is that I really don't want to go back to when the player could dodge all sorts of things by leaping down stairs and whatnot, without any sort of ill effect, letting you ignore all sorts of things that would be critical environmental hazards in a real fight.

One possibility is to check for 2 things:
1. sv_fallingdamage is zero
2. Player hasn't pressed fire in a long time
3. There are no monsters targeting the player within a certain range

3 could get very costly if I do it the stupid, safe way, though if I just had it stop the moment it found a positive it shouldn't be too bad.

EDIT: Fuck it, too much ad hoc exception bullshit. Just pack more berserks in your custom loadout.
Silentdarkness12

....Well, i'd like to continue recording Hideous Destructor, but something about it is really causing my computer to shit up now, for some reason...
Matt

Post by Matt »

Any details? Maybe someone reading this thread might know what's going on...

(also by "it" do you mean HD itself or recording?)
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

I can't even get anything to recognize GzDoom as a game I have to record the entire screen to capture footage.
Silentdarkness12

Matt wrote:Any details? Maybe someone reading this thread might know what's going on...

(also by "it" do you mean HD itself or recording?)
Hideous Destructor. Yeah. GZDoom seems to be prone to sudden FPS drop, freezing up, and having the sound go to shit for several seconds at a time. It starts out infrequent, and slowly intensifies to slideshow level. I'll investigate some things.

EDIT: Okay, I have a number of things i'll say here. #1: Putting hand grenades in the backpack starting loadout flat out does not work.

EDIT 2: Well, shit. It's not GZDoom. It's Fraps.....urgh....

EDIT 3: Well, Fraps can go die apparently. It's no good for recording HD anymore. It looks like OBS might be the solution, although even that presents a new problem in the form of the output video being a bit washed out, and needing a bit of touching up after the fact....
Matt

Post by Matt »

Does Fraps mess up with GZDoom otherwise (vanilla or other mods)?
Silentdarkness12

Matt wrote:Does Fraps mess up with GZDoom otherwise (vanilla or other mods)?
Think so. It causes occasional GZDOOM FPS loss and weird shit, from what i've seen now. Probably a matter of it not playing well with something in an update...
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

Since I've been playing some harder Doom 2 maps lately, I've noticed that archviles really are just the worst sons of bitches. Why do they have to run all the way to the very edge of GZDoom space every time you hit them? Just one is enough to turn a twenty-minute map into an hour and a half camping session. I'm sitting here looking at four archviles between me and the exit of this map and wondering not how I'm going to handle them, but when I'm going to have time to handle them. I don't even know how to solve this, except maybe make them more actively seek out corpses when they flee instead of just running off in a random direction and taking fifty years to come back. I would be fine with that. I killed the monsters once, I can kill them again. I can't shoot through the goddamn walls at something that's hundreds of thousands of units away.

You can add Scythe Map01-23 to the list of playable maps. The death exits didn't work when I played it, but you know them when you see them and the gameplay is completely manageable up to that point. Might be able to clear Map24 and beyond too, but I lost my saves to GZDoom and HD updates before I had the chance to try.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Welcome back! :D

I'll check if the death exits could be addressed. How do they work again? Romero+barrels?
EDIT: lol I scarcely even remember why I made the player unable to telefrag anything, fixed.

(And the backpack customization was broken for a lot more than just the grenades... if only I had some way to make this remotely maintainable)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”