Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
mumblemumble

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.3.0]

Post by mumblemumble »

So after a pretty crazy twitch stream of hd done by fort of hard knox, a few ideas.

First, for a 15 minute period or so, it seems fort was permanently invincible, and on fire, from a mix of spiritual energy / armor, and excessive temperature (?). No idea the actual cause, but there's several clips of it. Something broke pretty badly.

The fire mechanics besides seem pretty nice, and certainly make imps more reasonable. Its handy, and certainly makes fire less if a death sentence, while still a threat.

Weapon bob is nice, and interesting, but I'd suggest pistols be more a wandering than a Bobbing. Its contained entirely in the hand, compared to bullpups and above and so would be easier to control in terms of locomotion bobbing the gun up and down. Alternatively, what if the Vulcanette had a strap like the bfg, to somewhat arrest bobbing, and provide better stability / lack of drop in exchange for a harder time turning, and unequiping the gun, and being unable to brace on the map? I think this would really distinguish the vulcanette a little.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

are the imps doing any damage at all???
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Yes, but I'm not entirely sure what happened. Around 2:25:00 of his stream, he goes through a teleport, and is attacked by several enemies, set on fire, and is invincible / on fire for the rest of the level (much to everyone's amusement).

I don't have the foggiest idea what happened honestly, i think excess megaspheres granted invincibility, while the fire stacked to an exponential point.

I'd honestly watch the footage

http://www.twitch.tv/fortofhardknox/v/2 ... =a&t=8692s

This is a few seconds before the teleport that breaks the game, and causes so many laughs. And he remains in such a state for a long time after, till finishing the level.
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Personally I really like the Vulcanette bulk and lack of a strap, it makes it more enforced as a heavy support gun. But maybe a strap variant?

On the subject of the blind (to the player) res'd enemies, I haven't had as many as I did when I first reported it. However, on a DUMP map, I had a shotgun guy res in a room with just myself in it, and after a few seconds, it woke up/saw me properly, and started attacking like normal. It's almost as if they aren't running a check on wake up LoS or something as often as they should. And to clarify, it wasn't doing the breathing idle frames, it was moving around after it res'd, the alert state. So bizarre.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

I mean, i understand, but i think its far too stable considering its size, length, weight, revving engine, and recoil, particularly when moving. So I was thinking making it normally LESS stable, but having a strap like the bfg, so you can go commando mode, but with some drawbacks. Or you could try shooting while wrestling with the recoil, dropping weight, and everything else. Honestly, firing the vulcanette should be a little bit exhausting without a brace of some sort.
LSWraith

Post by LSWraith »

Fort really needs the role of "Burning Ranger" on the discord for putting up with 4 archviles and surviving 10 minutes on fire. Because holy shit that was brutal for him.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

LSWraith wrote:Fort really needs the role of "Burning Ranger" on the discord for putting up with 4 archviles and surviving 10 minutes on fire. Because holy shit that was brutal for him.
Alternatively, "Man on Fire".
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

So on a recent stream, me, sledge, knox, and others were debating the TB, its rather precarious balance, and other issues, and i thought of a possible rework that would be less wonky and perhaps more reliable.

What if the tb used an electric current to make plasma, like a plasma cutter, store it in a gas bubble (perhaps using a process to separate hydrogen and oxygen, and make a different innert gas) to make plasma "bubbles" similar to the imp fireballs? I figure you could also give it a half life tao cannon like effect, funneling in more juice for a Megaman / samus like charge, with a full charge being like the tb current blast, and a minor charge being like a single balefire blast.

This way you could have a sort of trooper gun that still could FUNCTION as artillery by being overloaded (with a small chance of chatostrophoc failure at full capacity if held very long) but also functions as a heavy support weapon.

This would fix issues of the tb being simoltaniosly op (fresh battery, multiple blasts immediately) and weak (with half a battery, and useless).

I figure the power level could effect velocity, refire time, max charge, and accuracy of the bubble, and possibly even have an amperage dial for how much juice is used, to either get full power, or conserve energy, as well as fit more situations (rapid small fireballs rather than slower large one's for close up) and could possibly bring back a traditional take on plasma without making it terribly different, and also fixing many (what i consider) issues.

Knox SEEMED ok with the idea, but I'll let him speak for himself, i also bring it up because i feel it would work well with the new temperature system.
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Samarai1000 wrote:
LSWraith wrote:Fort really needs the role of "Burning Ranger" on the discord for putting up with 4 archviles and surviving 10 minutes on fire. Because holy shit that was brutal for him.
Alternatively, "Man on Fire".
Burning Man!
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

So what powerups and armor makes you invurnable for some time?
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

Invulerability.
THe megasphere doesn't let you drop below 8 HP.
j03

Post by j03 »

I feel like I've been wanting this mod my whole life. Great stuff. Never thought I'd have so much fun dying over, and over, and over again in Doom.

Any resources or community portals for getting hooked up for co-op games?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Yeah, check out the Discord server: https://discord.gg/eRqGK9e

There's usually enough of us to get a game going every weekend or so.

8-)
Arco

Post by Arco »

Matt wrote:Were those the heavily edited Doom sounds rather than the ones from the Sound Bible?
I believe it was the heavily modified doom sounds that were used, I know the exact sounds you're talking about with the latter but those aren't the ones that I'm thinking about.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”