Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated August 18, 2014]

Post by Matt »

Lava Grunt wrote:I love you Vae, but there really needs to be a function to directly move corpses. I'm at an entrance to a winding staircase tower with a cyber lurking around the doorway (a clockwise tower, so the cybie has the advantage) and right at the part that requires quick movement is a hell knight corpse, making me trudge along. I understand that sprinting turns off the corpse movement penalty, but could you implement a way to directly move corpses? Like fist secondary fire could grab onto a corpse and then you just move normally while it trails.

EDIT: Bug I guess? The invulnerability sphere doesn't have translucency or buoyant floating like the other spheres do.
I guess! The simple fact is I've never redefined the invulnerability sphere actor itself. That will change for next update.

As for corpses, I think I'll just disable their hindrance as it's more trouble than it's worth and it doesn't feel quite right anyway.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Vaecrius wrote: As for corpses, I think I'll just disable their hindrance as it's more trouble than it's worth and it doesn't feel quite right anyway.
Oh thank FUCK. I've had too many times when the Derpbot couldn't shoot through a dead imp in front of me. This made its use as a door guard dubious as it would kill an enemy and then not be able to hit the others behind it.
Jebediah

Post by Jebediah »

Hey there, I honestly got to say I love this mod, It feels good to revert to ye olde guerrila tactics once again. The only problem I found is that the derpbot refuses to shoot anything, even when facing a zombieman directly. Has anyone else had this problem?
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Also, is there a way to unload a full cell from the plasma rifle?
Medicris

Post by Medicris »

Jebediah wrote:Hey there, I honestly got to say I love this mod, It feels good to revert to ye olde guerrila tactics once again. The only problem I found is that the derpbot refuses to shoot anything, even when facing a zombieman directly. Has anyone else had this problem?
Yeah, Turret mode doesn't seem to ever want to work for me. I've had it sit 5 feet in front of monster closets and not so much as give a notice or fire a shot when zombies storm out of it many, many times and it's gotten me killed more than I'd like. Patrol mode works.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

I think it'd be cool if zombies would run back a bit if you aimed or fired at them. It'd be useful for covering fire.

Still, this mod is awesome! Probably one of the more unique ones in terms of gameplay.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Vaecrius wrote:As for corpses, I think I'll just disable their hindrance as it's more trouble than it's worth and it doesn't feel quite right anyway.
Keep in the squishy sounds though, it's a nice effect that adds a lot of character.

Also, not to be that guy, but a lot of archviles get caught on level geometry and thus make them pushovers. Would it not be best to have them noclip all the time? It's odd that they only let themselves use this power when they get hurt, rather than all the time.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

That might cause pathfinding problems when they start waltzing through the level resurrecting everything freely, I think.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

How? Archviles that are awake can revive things and have no trouble following your rough location afterward. I'm thinking of a ghost-style archvile.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

I'm not sure how the pathfinding ai works to begin with, but what I meant was that you'll shoot them once and then they'll piss off far away from you and then just walk through the level reviving everything because there are no walls anymore.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Big C wrote:Oh thank FUCK. I've had too many times when the Derpbot couldn't shoot through a dead imp in front of me. This made its use as a door guard dubious as it would kill an enemy and then not be able to hit the others behind it.
Actually this shouldn't affect the DERP at all, it's only about the way your movement slows down in recent versions when trying to step over corpses.
Jebediah wrote:The only problem I found is that the derpbot refuses to shoot anything, even when facing a zombieman directly. Has anyone else had this problem?
Finally managed to discover this myself. No idea what's going on.
Lava Grunt wrote:Also, is there a way to unload a full cell from the plasma rifle?
Not at the moment but it can be added!

Also, the archvile thing is another thing I've never gotten around to fixing because I've never had that experience. That could be because I shoot reflexively on sight though.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated September 2, 2014]

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

Changes:
  • Bugfix: If a little spectre's raise was interrupted, it would be translucent instead of fuzzy.
  • Bugfix: Shotgun guys couldn't be raised - or, rather, they could only be raised in the impossibly unlikely event that someone tried to raise the corpse while it was in midair.
  • Bugfix: Replaced a few too many strings and the marine raising animations didn't play properly.
  • Bugfix: DERP non-patrol modes weren't clearing target properly.
  • Bugfix: DERP lost 3 shots every time you picked it back up.
  • Bugfix???: Added a potential workaround for archviles getting stuck in geometry when they solidify. Now if an archvile goes through its entire see state without changing its xy position, it will noclip.
  • Got rid of stumbling over corpses.
  • Invulnerability spheres now make you explode and catch fire. (As a minor technical note, you turn invulnerable first.) If you destroy an invulnerability sphere, you release the angel inside!
  • You no longer get sights when you are invulnerable.
  • You now drop your DERP from your view height and it follows your momentum.
  • You can now use alt reload to unload a cell from the Thunder Buster. Yes, the way this is implemented does let you consolidate ammo. Working out the cell ammo system to be even remotely sensical has always been on the "Later" list.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

I was playing the mod earlier when I noticed that the rifle HUD sprites didn't fit in with Doom's sprite style. (The pickups were good)
I whipped up these sprites using Minignner's build-a-rifle sheet that he compiled out of Doom Alpha sprites, and used a scope from Mike12 lever rifle.

ImageImage

Also, could you consider my suggestion above?
I think it'd be cool if zombies would run back a bit if you aimed or fired at them. It'd be useful for covering fire.
Thanks. :D

And again, awesome mod!

EDIT: Correction, that's Mike12's rifle, not zrrion's.
Last edited by TheMightyHeracross on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Found a pretty weird bug; a ninja pirate bit a cyberdemon and in turn got blasted to bits by said cyberdemon. However, after this, the cyberdemon launched volley after volley of rockets at the corpse for what seemed like 8 times. Once I got closer, it stopped doing this and started to do a weird circling dance around the corpse. I'm not sure but I think the reason it circled was because of the sliding like movement the cyberdemon sometimes uses (usually when it's billowing smoke) so instead of moving directly to the corpse it's momentum turned its movement into a circle. When I touched the cyberdemon (presumably breaking it's trance or something) it launched 2 more volleys at the corpse and started it's ritual dance again. And I'm fairly sure during this chaos I saw a translucent ninja pirate (didn't get to see it for too long for it too succumbed to a rockety death) so there's that. My fuzz style is set to shadow, if that helps.

Save file. Needs GZDoom G1.9pre-796-g8169991. And Hellbound.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Lava Grunt wrote:Found a pretty weird bug; a ninja pirate bit a cyberdemon and in turn got blasted to bits by said cyberdemon. However, after this, the cyberdemon launched volley after volley of rockets at the corpse for what seemed like 8 times. Once I got closer, it stopped doing this and started to do a weird circling dance around the corpse. I'm not sure but I think the reason it circled was because of the sliding like movement the cyberdemon sometimes uses (usually when it's billowing smoke) so instead of moving directly to the corpse it's momentum turned its movement into a circle. When I touched the cyberdemon (presumably breaking it's trance or something) it launched 2 more volleys at the corpse and started it's ritual dance again. And I'm fairly sure during this chaos I saw a translucent ninja pirate (didn't get to see it for too long for it too succumbed to a rockety death) so there's that. My fuzz style is set to shadow, if that helps.
CYBERDEMON VICTORY DANCE!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”