Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Fort of Hard Knox

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated January 9, 2017]

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

Is weapon bracing on scoped weapons supposed to be as tricky at is when you are berserked? I was finding long-range maps to test mid-long range combat and I noticed that berserk often makes long range combat a real ugly ordeal.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Slydir wrote:Is weapon bracing on scoped weapons supposed to be as tricky at is when you are berserked? I was finding long-range maps to test mid-long range combat and I noticed that berserk often makes long range combat a real ugly ordeal.
When you're berserked, you're, well, berserk. YOU HAVE TO KILL FAST AND BULLETS TOO SLOW
Big C

Post by Big C »

<BRACING INTENSIFIES>
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

^^^What they said. The overstimulation is intended to be spazzy and difficult to control.

Sources cited: coffee at office on empty stomach.
Fort of Hard Knox

That's what I figured. Does reloading 7mm between levels with brass casings work again? I ask partly because I'm swimming in 7mm on a wonderful run of Good Morning Phobos and my chaingun is often needed as well.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

You automatically convert as much partially spent ZM66 mags as possible to reloaded 7mm, at a cost of ~3 4mm rounds and one casing for each 7mm round.

...I should probably modify that now that there's actually a use for partial ZM66 mags...
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated January 23, 2017]

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

This version is not compatible with the latest GZDoom release. It may break at any time as the devbuilds progress!

Changes:
  • Bugfix: Fragments are deliberately biased towards shooting up if the source grenade is close to the floor, but shooting down if the source is close to the ceiling. This was reversed with the pitch harmonization back in December and I never got around to fixing it until now.
  • Got rid of the D1/D2 filters. To play HD on Doom 1 without the Doom 2 resources you'll need to load the new hdd1p.pk7 file after HD.
  • Started on some ZScript! Player viewbob now changes depending on whether you're running, sprinting, walking, crawling or stunned.
  • Yuge overhaul of the bullet code, for making unprecedented carnage great again, etc.:
    • Bullets no longer disappear into the sky. Instead, if you shoot up into the sky, they can actually come back down! (Eventually, and assuming they don't drift out of the sky sector...) Brontornis and launched grenades (rocket and not) are also affected.
    • Damage is now unified, except for grenade fragments. This may change the balance of some weapons significantly. To wit: shit hits hard.
  • Human-sized and smaller targets now change direction if punched, making your fist much more effective (but still usually a terrible idea). Warp to Map31, type IDDQD and give it a try!
Last edited by Matt on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big C

Post by Big C »

An excellent thing to receive on my birthday! :D
Fort of Hard Knox

What is ZScript? I keep seeing it, and now that it's in HD I'd love it if someone could clarify. I'm out of the loop from the cool kids.

Also the fist update makes me happier than you could know.
Matt

Post by Matt »

It's nothing less than the DS that's in all the [WFDS] rejected feature suggestions!

A lot of it looks kinda like DECORATE - you can do a great deal "in ZScript" just using DECORATE with more semicolons and different names for things - but it is meant as an actual scripting language with functions and whatnot... still very much a work in progress, but already it's proven to be vastly more powerful than DECORATE and ACS which it is intended to eventually supplant. (keeping DECORATE undeprecated is still a good idea in my view since it seems much more intuitive, but that could just be because I've been around it for the past 12+ years)

The wiki is decent but we still don't have a detailed discussion of each of the new functions - a lot of what's in HD is a combination of what I found in gzdoom.pk3 and trial and error. Which, come to think of it, is more or less what I was doing in the early HD days with DECORATE except all the actors then had been posted to the wiki...

EDIT: Oddly enough, it's the documentation discussion thread that does a much better job in my view of explaining what ZScript is.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Hrmmm. Gave the newest version a shot and I'm not sure if I'm just getting unlucky but my first 3 deaths have all been to a single burst from a stormtrooper at full health, which comprises 3 of the 4 times I've actually been shot since I started playing, the other of which was a single 4mm bullet that took off roughly 60hp. Working as intended? Not sure I'm such a fan of the overhauled bullets, if so.

[edit]I expect precisely this kind of damage and outcome if I'm going in with no green armor, mind you. That's about 1:1 with my experience of going without any armor.

[edit again]Also I took 90 damage (I had alternate hud on) from a single shotgun blast with green armor at a range of about 35 meters.
Matt

Post by Matt »

...and apparently buckshot does 2000-4000 damage after 300 yards.

brb fixing or reverting to non-zscript and /idgamesing
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated January 30, 2017]

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

Changes:
  • Reinstated the "bouncy" select/deselect animations I had at one point.
  • Monsters and "natural" decorations that vary in size now also vary in their actual hitbox size.
  • Dust/wall chunks are now randomly set to +wallsprite.
  • Streamlined "WallChunker" actor (formerly "GrenadeWallChunker") since it is used in multiple contexts.
  • Reduced 4mm mass from 70 to 35 and buckshot from 80 to 40 to better reflect their canonical lore size.
  • Tweaked some bullet damage calculations and simplified some code thanks to the length() function.
  • New rocket feature: if you're right on target when you shoot, the rocket locks on to your target! This only works with targets more than 512 map units away.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Hud's broken, I think, but I'm not sure exactly which version of GZDoom I'm supposed to be using.

[edit]Yeah every GZDoom version I can readily download is either too old(?) for this version of HD, (Problems with A_Raise, apparently?), crashes, or has a broken HUD/use button.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Works fine for me. I'm using commit 1d2ae53 which was from yesterday, though the DRD devbuild page only lists things going back to Jan 21... and I do recall some bug involving inventory in the meantime.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”