Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Somagu

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.4.1]

Post by Somagu »

By any chance, did you happen to adjust the amount of tics before you can refire a shotgun after pumping? Now I seem to be having the opposite problem I was having with the Boss. I'm using what I had thought to previously be a relatively tic-perfect rhythm, and now it's not working. Am I just off my goat, or did you actually make it a tic or two longer?

[edit]Nope. Looking like I'm crazy this time. Weird!
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Thanks so much for adding this :) Time to sink all my free time into this great mod.
Just a small bugfix, hd_zoom is defined as hdzoom instead in the keyconf.
DeWolf

Post by DeWolf »

Matt wrote:That's even weirder, because I was doing this with unpacked folders this whole time.

What version of Slade are you using?
I believe it is version 3.1.1 the latest stable from the site.

Also new item idea: Fire extinguisher with a joke companion item the fire distinguisher with the latter being used simply saying yes you do appear to be on fire when used.
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enabled BBCode.
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

There is an small issue with the way the HD guns interact with portals. Standing next or crossing a portal grinding the equipped gun against a wall will result in the player getting killed and flung away.
Used GZDoom 3.2.4 and HD 3.2.4.1 for testing, portal types tested are Interactive, static, visual+simple teleporter. I can provide a recording, info and materials if desired.

Screenshot, moving mouse left will kill the player:
Spoiler:
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Shit, I figured there might be something.

Can someone give me a map with a portal near the start?

EDIT: What the hell does "tag number of the line" mean in this context!??? There aren't any argument spaces to *set* a tag! "Line ID", right

EDIT: I can't quite seem to replicate this, though I do notice that grenades and other things occasionally ignore the portal line and end up landing/blowing up/ricocheting in the space behind it.

EDIT: I've clamped the recoil that results from extending your barrel straight into a wall. This should mitigate things a bit. (Also I may have fixed an old and really wacky bug with the projectile (non-)collision...)

EDIT: Turns out that recoil wasn't the problem, but rather the staggering-back effect when you aim up or down - the muzzle collision code was giving some really wacky results when it came to pitch changes. I really don't know why it would even do that, given all I'm doing is using Distance3D() to get the distance between a puff and its origin, so I've just clamped the result.
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

I haven't played this mod for 2-1.5 years and all I could remember is how much of a buggy mess it was back then, but still pretty interesting and fun to play nonetheless.

Just recently decided to give it another try and I'm really glad I did so. I've had a blast replaying Doom 1-2 and now I consider it the best gameplay mod ever. Thank you Matt so much for making and maintaining this mod.

I've made an account on this forum just to share my feedback, so here we go:

One of the changes I was really glad to see in the new version was an ability to toggle inertia. I've never experienced getting motion sickness from videogames before I've played this mod - inertia didn't add any realism to the game, but made me feel like i'm playing as a drunk as hell marine. Also, the ability to get rid of killer barrels was a nice surprise too - never really liked those things.

However, I think there is a couple of features which should be toggleable:

First of all - weapon collision. I can understand why it was added, but mechanically it doesn't really makes much sense and makes gameplay awkward sometimes. A lot of games used to deal with this (here is Red Orchestra 2 for example), but I don't know any of them that would actually move player and his view.

Another questionable feature is glowing green particles flying around the map and randomly reviving enemies. I think it's called "raise shards".
This feature is rather odd - I mean, there is enough of healer Imps and Archviles are still capable of doing their job, so what's the point of those "raise shards" then? Unlike healer Imps and Archviles I don't know any way of dealing with this those things and getting screwed by monsters that you've killed just a couple minutes ago is simply annoying. I believe some players may find it a good way to increase suspense, but to me it's just a tedious annoyance.

There was another change in one of the new versions that I found impossible to ignore - medkits became obsolete. As soon as I get my hands on a suit of armor I don't have to be afraid of bleedings anymore and thus I've no idea what to do with medkits. "Supernatural healing" seems to be the only way to replenish health and it's very effective for some reason. Could you do something about it? Maybe slowdown the rate of regeneration and make medkits usable for replenishing health and not just bandaging?

And the last one is fall damage. I believe this feature makes some of the original levels of Doom 1-2 much harder to play. It doesn't correspond to game settings regarding fall damage and the damage itself seems to be calculated randomly. This is not a bad feature by itself, but I think it would be nice to make it toggleable.

I haven't noticed any bugs, but there is something odd about ammo managing - when I get SMG and plenty of magazines, I cant load all of the magazines properly. I end up repeatedly dropping, reloading and picking up magazines to make sure they are full and ready to use. I don't know, maybe I'm doing it wrong or maybe it's just a bug? Also, sometimes holding reloading button still makes my character drop the magazine.

Once again, thank you so much for making this mod and I hope my feedback will be helpful to you.

p.s. - I'm not a native English speaker, so yeah... I just hope my writing is more or less clear and easy to understand.
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

Maddo:
Your text is good to follow, I agree with you especially on the medikits.

Matt:
Thanks for looking into it, the workaround with teleporters does work but isn´t beautiful.
I retextured the map from the screenshot to use doom textures, the portal is inside the house, exactly where the stone texture leads into the wood.
Also added comments on some lines to make understanding easier, hope it helps!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/quit2llmc5jar ... g.wad?dl=0
(use opengl)
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

I actually prefer medkits the way they are now, since it gives the player a meaningful and deliberate way of stopping wounds (Which I don't really think are a non-issue at all, myself) besides "improvised bandaging" which was bizarrely more effective than actual medkits themselves, or in conjunction with them, which made no sense. I think the current medical system is much more tangible to the player than it used to be.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Maddo wrote: Another questionable feature is glowing green particles flying around the map and randomly reviving enemies. I think it's called "raise shards".
This feature is rather odd - I mean, there is enough of healer Imps and Archviles are still capable of doing their job, so what's the point of those "raise shards" then? Unlike healer Imps and Archviles I don't know any way of dealing with this those things and getting screwed by monsters that you've killed just a couple minutes ago is simply annoying. I believe some players may find it a good way to increase suspense, but to me it's just a tedious annoyance.

There was another change in one of the new versions that I found impossible to ignore - medkits became obsolete. As soon as I get my hands on a suit of armor I don't have to be afraid of bleedings anymore and thus I've no idea what to do with medkits. "Supernatural healing" seems to be the only way to replenish health and it's very effective for some reason. Could you do something about it? Maybe slowdown the rate of regeneration and make medkits usable for replenishing health and not just bandaging?

And the last one is fall damage. I believe this feature makes some of the original levels of Doom 1-2 much harder to play. It doesn't correspond to game settings regarding fall damage and the damage itself seems to be calculated randomly. This is not a bad feature by itself, but I think it would be nice to make it toggleable.
-Raise shards: Those are Vile Shards. It's a little residual hell energy thing. It's meant to keep you on edge. To keep you on your toes. Yes, it stinks when it revives an enemy. But the chainsaw is your friend here. It'll make it harder for most lesser creatures to be revived by the shards, and any revival method.

-Armor + Medkits: ....You should still be able to catch bleeding even if you're wearing armor. Could be a glitch or something.

-Fall Damage: Fun fact: HD is meant to be very hard. And that some maps may be literally unbeatable with HD. : P
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I noticed the fall damage being very inconsistent. Falling from the same ledge/height can drop you down to 20% or just not do anything. It seems to have to do with the characters movement speed as far as I can tell. Walking over the edge is usually a lot more fatal than running over the edge at full speed.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Yes, by the theory of the player doing a bit of a roll into the landing as to not shatter his knees.
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

Somagu wrote:it gives the player a meaningful and deliberate way of stopping wounds
Like I've mentioned before - there is no need to use medikits and stimpacks when you are wearing a suit of armor due the lack of bleedings. "Supernatural healing" was the only way for me to replenish my health, while all those medikits and stimpacks were doing nothing but gathering dust in my inventory.
Silentdarkness12 wrote:You should still be able to catch bleeding even if you're wearing armor. Could be a glitch or something..
Indeed, it could be a glitch and something has to be done about it.
Silentdarkness12 wrote:It's meant to keep you on edge. To keep you on your toes.
It works as intended for the first 30-60 minutes but afterwards you'll just get used to it. Doesn't make it any less tedious or annoying - eliminating healer imps and archviles feels much better than dealing with random respawning enemies.
Silentdarkness12 wrote:Fall Damage: Fun fact: HD is meant to be very hard. And that some maps may be literally unbeatable with HD
I am well aware of that and that's why I've mentioned what this is not a bad feature by itself. However, I believe this feature should optional and correspond to the game settings of fall damage.
Doom 1-2 levels were designed without any fall damage in mind, so playing with HD makes some of the levels much harder for no good reason. Even worse - dealing with elevators can be deadly quite often.
If there is no way to make it work with game settings, then maybe there should be a new piece of equipment to neglect fall damage? Some sort of low-gravity power boots maybe?
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

That's actually just because of the new calculation to avoid it being triggered by portals.

I'll have to redo it.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Maddo wrote: Like I've mentioned before - there is no need to use medikits and stimpacks when you are wearing a suit of armor due the lack of bleedings. "Supernatural healing" was the only way for me to replenish my health, while all those medikits and stimpacks were doing nothing but gathering dust in my inventory.
Certainly could be bugged for some people, although using the current stable version I just caught 2 rounds from a stormtrooper and was already bleeding 5 health per tic using black armor. I won't press the issue, though, as I do agree medkits could be more easily disposable for any reason besides their Second Flesh. I do already make frequent use of stimpacks, however, so I'm not really sure those need any rebalancing more than they already have received.

[edit]Actual bug report: Not sure if it's been fixed after the stable, but if a redead rifleman corpse is on a teleport exit, you can't go through the teleport. Might also be worth investigating for other monsters.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Sometimes a shot will randomly bypass all your armour and deal damage as though you had nothing on at all. (Ideally this would be locational but...... yyyyeah let's not even go there lol)

I think I've addressed the redead rifleman. (summoned a bunch of them and a bunch of plain deadriflemen and reallydeadriflemen on the first teleport platform on E2M1 and its corresponding exit, could teleport just fine)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”