Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.1.0.667]

Post by Matt »

Somagu wrote:not really very pleased about being forced to equip the fist every time I sidehop
Whoops, left that in there by mistake while trying to figure something out. Fixed.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Somagu wrote:There are some desyncs I can't quite figure out yet, however, also self-medicating is impossible (in co-op?) and[snip]

Also, I guess the vulc no longer has an on-off switch?
Addressing the other points...

No more on/off switch. I thought about what exactly was required and guesstimated it would takes like weeks of this thing being left on - not shooting or moving anything, just passively monitoring and displaying ammo loadedness - to make a noticeable dent in one of these batteries. So now it's always assumed to be on when you have it out.

Just tried self-medicating now, works for me. Sometimes you need to try again once or twice because of pitch issues, but that's been like that for a while now as far as I recall.

Keep me updated if you can figure out the desyncs. I've only tried messing around on the range, and got through map01 without noticing anything (except that respawns on co-op still don't set a weapon properly).
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

Somagu and I put HD through our tests. Fully stopped, medkit staples and self-bandage don't work unless you manually look down to activate the necessary pitch to start the bandaging process. If this is intentionally for reasons of realism or simulation, I can totally live with it. Somagu and I are playing around with it and its kinda cool.

Also Turn180 is borked again
Last edited by Fort of Hard Knox on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Sometimes desyncs occur right near the outset of a game but we're not sure yet if that's actually just Knox drunkenly tabbing out of game as it launches. Otherwise, it seems to either involve players respawning or imps. Not sure which yet, we're gonna screw with it more.

It happens with monsters disabled and without either player dying. So far most times it happens, one of us has either been mantling or airborne. Still might be a coincidence. Only other guess is relating to debris spawners, maybe.

Hand grenades are causing hard crashes, especially when any fragments hit the person that threw them.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

I've been fiddling around with this on Zandronum, fully aware that it's bound to be not workable, lel.

The latest versions seem to get complaints out of TEAMINFO, because you can only have 4 teams. I may see if I can get the old GZDoom release of HD to function on Zandro. Wish me luck, lulz.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Somagu wrote:It happens with monsters disabled and without either player dying. So far most times it happens, one of us has either been mantling or airborne. Still might be a coincidence. Only other guess is relating to debris spawners, maybe.
I can't think of any commonality between those. :/
Hand grenades are causing hard crashes, especially when any fragments hit the person that threw them.
Every time someone is hit by their own fragments, or just randomly?
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

6 or 8 times in a row, in co-op only, not singleplayer.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I managed to get a consistent desync with this:

net_fakelatency 300;wait 1;kill;
immediately respawn and start wiggling the mouse around

Moved some variable settings back out of MovePlayer() and that seemed to solve it.

No idea about that grenade crash though, which I have not been able to replicate at all.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Could be the GZDoom SVN I was using. I'll go bug Knox to test more in a bit.

Thanks for such quick fixes and feedback.
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

Hey, Awesome job getting the jerkiness fixed.

We've found more desyncs related to spawning, both with firing guns and/or getting hurt (shooting in our tests) just on spawn (both gamestart and respawn). We're averaging 280 ms of ping.
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

The new commit seems to fix the spawning and movement desync.

There is something going on with explosives. Somagu says its different conditions than earlier. Long range GL shots, shooting barrels at close-mid distance. We are still digging.
Spoiler:
NEW DEVELOPMENT: So me and Somagu were using SVNs of GZDoom for this which was causing hard crashes. We tried using it with the Stable GZDm3.1.0a and it caused desyncs instead of causing immediate hard freezes. More on this as it gets investigated.
Matt

Post by Matt »

The custom explosion code is one of the most oddly convoluted things in HD. x_x I'll try to see if there are any bracketing issues like the one that caused all that weirdness in my last crash-HD bug report on the bug forum.
Last edited by Matt on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

For what it's worth, I can't speak for the times a rocquette hit an imp and we crashed, but it seemed to be happening when barrels damaged other barrels (sometimes) or when a grenade damaged the person that threw it (in co-op)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Fort of Hard Knox wrote:NEW DEVELOPMENT: So me and Somagu were using SVNs of GZDoom for this which was causing hard crashes. We tried using it with the Stable GZDm3.1.0a and it caused desyncs instead of causing immediate hard freezes. More on this as it gets investigated.
So it's freezing not crashing to desktop?

And are the desyncs (generally, apparently) happening in the same place where you were getting crashes/freezes?

EDIT: Just tried 2 instances on Barrels o' Fun, fake latency 300, blew up all the barrels and killed the 2 pain elementals, both players and framerate died a zillion times. No crash or desync.

By the way, when it's hand grenades, is the person usually not much more than 3-5m of the grenade? I just want to confirm if it's the blast or the "real" fragments (though if the barrels are doing it chances are it's the former).
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Windows crashes, rather than very fatal errors that produce a useful log, unfortunately.

I would look at the windows errors themselves but for some reason windows stopped giving me the option to look at them a few months back and I never figured out why.

We'll investigate more tomorrow. The automated drdteam git commit we were using when it would crash (with a windows error, as opposed to immediately crashing with no error or hard freezing or locking up my computer entirely or giving a very fatal error) was this one but the desyncs are consistent in stable 3.1.0a 64-bit, as Knox mentioned above. Hopefully Windows is not a factor here but it's starting to look like it might be. Or fake latency isn't cutting it, which I doubt.

[edit]We'll check distance of the grenades tomorrow but we shouldn't be within the proper blast radius. There's a non-zero chance that we are, and if that's your best guess, have at it. He's asleep unfortunately and I don't have anyone else on hand to test with.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”