Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.5.2]

Post by Matt »

Cannot reproduce extra-round bug. Please set out exact steps.

It's plastic not brass. It's a setting thing - copper is getting rarer.

ZM66 fixed.

Sound problem is GZDoom/OpenAL bug related I think.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Matt wrote:Cannot reproduce extra-round bug. Please set out exact steps.

As I've posted several times, just shoot till the smg is empty, then unload it (twice) for a free 9mm round.
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

I'm surprised that 1: this mod is getting updated so frequently. 2: how well it plays with the BD Starter Pack 3: How bouncy those 7.76 casings are. Maybe tone that down a bit :)
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.5.3]

Post by Matt »

DavidWolfe wrote:As I've posted several times, just shoot till the smg is empty, then unload it (twice) for a free 9mm round.
Got it, fixed.

All the other bullet/armour/damage stuff will require a massive overhaul that I am not going to do within 1 hour on a Sunday afternoon, so here's a NEW UPDATE! dealing only with these past few bugfixes and whatnot:
  • Fixed:
    • Kick checkers were being left on the map.
    • Hellknight soft crash when zapping things that don't leave corpses.
    • SSG replacement on IDFA no longer switches out your ready weapon.
    • Babuin's corpse flags were being reset when a corpse was gibbed.
    • D.E.R.P. +nodropoff wasn't being set.
    • Robot hitboxes scaled down.
    • Bullet escape shootable setting was resetting +shootable for everything, including cooking-off ZM66.
    • SMG chamber unload did not account for empty chamber.
  • Added:
    • Customization of some monsters (and other things) via args.
      • Args[0-1] set marine skin tone, gender, weapon and whether they are wearing the universal terrorist red uniform.
      • Args[0] sets zombieman weapon.
      • Args[0] sets tripwire grenade pitch.
    • DB/SLADE editor keys. I've given up trying to keep the doomednums organized.
  • Scriptified:
    • Cacodemon. You know how they're supposed to shoot ball lightning? I finally looked up what that was on Wiki. Now they basically shoot triplets of explosive, seeking ripper rockets that can sometimes pass through walls. Have fun!
  • Changed:
    • MAPINFO split for sanity's sake.
    • ZM66Semi, ZM66Regular and LiberatorNoGL can be given as inventory items. They overwrite any weapon you currently have.
    • Fire. Now it typically burns a bit faster but is a good deal easier to douse; non-players, who cannot drop and roll to douse, burn much less overall.
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Matt wrote:
  • Cacodemon. You know how they're supposed to shoot ball lightning? I finally looked up what that was on Wiki. Now they basically shoot triplets of explosive, seeking ripper rockets that can sometimes pass through walls. Have fun!
i luv u

except not

except yes

except not

</3
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Fuck me, I wrote an entire essay and the forum just decided to shit on it and remove it.

Basically what I wrote is a request to add more physiological fuckery to the player's abilities when under duress, such as loss of hearing/tinnitus, shock, tunnel vision and visual desaturation, epinephrine, etc.

Possibly even so that the playerpawn gets less effected by gunfights later on in the campaign due to experience, and supernatural items also doing some fuckery with the player's consciousness.

But, eh, I ain't spending another 30 minutes backtracking my research.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I intend to slowly add in features as I think of feasible ways to add them... just trying to stay away from "PLAYER HAS ACQUIRED STATUS: TIRED. PLEASE ENJOY THIS NEW GRAPHIC EFFECT ON THE SCREEN" non-transitions that gameplay ailments tend to gravitate towards.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

I am at the point where I think that Hideous Destructor doesn't actually NEED more supah-realism features. That, and the arsenal is about as complete as one could ever hope.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Could ammoboxes be used like backpacks instead of just spilling their contents everywhere? Then you could leave caches for yourself once the box is untrapped. Obviously, the item interface would need to disappear when you move too far away.

8-)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Between the player, the backpack and the ammobox I think I'd like to figure out some unified way of managing this stuff before I even try to implement that! (Inventory overhaul is definitely a to-do but it's going to be a few months of headache at least given the current rate I'm getting this stuff worked out.)

Side question: Does anyone really care about the current blue armour, or the 3-way armour system generally? Would it be better and simpler to colour the current black armour blue, make the current green a little more effective, and go back to a 2-type system closer to vanilla?
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

No, honestly. I feel like merging blue and black armor together would probably be many degrees better. And making green better. 2-type system.

But here, maybe this would be a cool thing.

https://www.strawpoll.me/15262720
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

To be honest I'm not even sure of the distinction anymore, since apparently it changed from what I last read in the manual. To me, green is what I end up using the most because it's available, and most times one set keeps me alive through multiple engagements, even when taking repeated hits. Blue and black I switch to if I ever find any, but the "this armor does not pass certification" messages after taking 1-2 hits tends to scare me off and I find they don't last as long before I start getting mortally wounded through them...?

All anecdotal by the way, I haven't done any real comparison. This is just impressions I vaguely recall.

8-)
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

The current armor system is somewhat flavorful, but I think ultimately it's disposable unless the black armor could have some additional functionality, like an automated on-board medicine system or the like.

Barring that, I vote we go back to 'nilla.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Right now that poll has 3/4 majority in favour of a 2 armour system and that includes my own vote, it would be way more manageable and simple to test any changes in the future, and it would give us a closer to vanilla vibe.

From a pure gameplay perspective I also like the binary decision better than a rare involuntary chance at a compromise that does neither thing particularly well. Really the only reason I asked at all was just in case I was missing some important gameplay nuance that the 3-way system provides.

Merger it shall be.

EDIT: What really happened was that I just plain got rid of the old blue armour and tinted the black armour blue, then replaced a bunch of strings. No game mechanics changed other than spawn rates. EDIT: I will also have to update the custom loadout settings, which will require a change in the slot numbers to preserve my future sanity...

On an unrelated note, if anyone wants to read an excellent PC Gamer interview about what Hideous Destructor is about, it can be read here. It just came up on my FB memories - which is timely given that the bullets have just become noticeably deadlier.

On a slightly more related note, looking at the changes I'll need to TEXTURES it occurs to me that the Doom armour as depicted has the same problem people complain about with fantasy heroines' "boob armour". Chest-centre critical hit damage even for blocked bullets will still be in full effect against armoured players.

By the way... "does not pass certification" is like 95% of max :P
Last edited by Matt on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

And then Red Orchestra went to hell with Rising Duty 2.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”