Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated July 21, 2014]

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!
Changes:
  • Lowered rate of flicker on spoon off warning.
  • Berserk now lasts much shorter, and you'll probably kill yourself if you use a second before the first totally runs out. To offset this, however your healing potential gain is doubled - if you survive. Good luck!
Also added Slydir's tutorial vid to the top post:

In other news, does anyone know how in ACS to tell if a player is crossing a line between different floor heights? EDIT: Or just passing between sectors generally?
Big C

Post by Big C »

Hey Vaecrius, any reason HD is in a PK7 instead of a PK3? I ask because SLADE doesn't open PK7s and I wanted to open HD in SLADE so I could place specific enemy-types at specific points instead of using the randomizer.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

It's just a renamed 7zip file. Should work if you rename it to .7z.

I use the format because I believe it has better compression, though I haven't actually tested and compared in years.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Ah, sweet! Thanks!

EDIT: SLADE doesn't open .7z files either, apparently.
Matt

Post by Matt »

7-Zip or file-roller then.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Converted to .zip format, loads in SLADE but I can't put any HD-specific entities/things onto a map.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Probably everything. :P
Matt

Post by Matt »

I don't even have a version of SLADE that can edit maps so I think it's a SLADE troubleshooting issue at this point.

The different imp types at least definitely have their own doomednums.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

@BigC
SLADE doesn't seem to be able to recognize DECORATE actor definitions yet, so to work around that, assign editor numbers if they don't have one already and work with those. It's a lot of "unknowns" but at least it's doable. If you aren't in Linux I'd recommend gz/doom builder until that part is finished. If you are in Linux and can't run it with WINE, I have had success running gzdoom builder in virtualbox, 3d mode works and everything, but mouse is a bit finicky.
I personally use the editor numbers method since I prefer using native builds.

Anyway, I recommend you peruse the DECORATE actor definitions, check the editor numbers and write them into a list or something, for quick reference. Also you might need to assign numbers to things that don't have one, if any.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Also you might need to assign numbers to things that don't have one, if any.
If you do this please let me know so I can add them to the next release!
Big C

Post by Big C »

@Vaecrius: Got it.

@Hetdegon: Check your PMs, I still have some questions and as they're editor-related at this point I'd rather not clutter up Vaecrius' thread. Once I figure it out though I might share something here so people can figure out how to map specifically for Hideous Destructor.

I really love this mod so for my first semi-serious stab at DooM mapmaking I want to make some small maps with Hideous Destructor's gameplay in mind.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated July 28, 2014]

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!
(Make sure you've got version 20140728a and not the obviously buggy one!)

Hotfix changes:
  • Bugfix: you would also slow down while stepping over corpses. This is actually a neat effect, so I've improved it - it's not a lot less of a hindrance and you sometimes make squishy noises.
  • Bugfix: Hand grenades were spawning from somewhere well below the player's sight, making it impossible to properly roll something off a chest-level ledge.
  • Forgot to mention: Slight rebeefing up of rocket.
Changes:
  • Got rid of some sprites that were either unused or better done in TEXTURES.
  • Added a new feature: reduced speed and increased fatigue while walking up or down steps. Buggy. Let me know if intolerably so.
  • Adjusted the cyberdemon's behaviour. It shoots less often now but hits harder when it does.
  • Hand grenades now inherit your own movement! You can potentially beat the GL's range with a running start! Aim carefully!
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

Interesting things all around. The corpse thing keeps throwing me off, maybe remove it in the Homely difficulty. Does the stairs mechanic use speed of ascent or number of steps? Regardless, I like it so far. The grenade readjustment throws me off, but it has already saved me once so far, so it can't be too bad...

Bugcheck: Get a Hunter with a full saddle reserve and have no remaining ammo in your bandolier, then perform an alt-reload from your bandolier. Mine is very inconsistent, sometimes it will load from no shells.

Also Big C, I already have a map or two in the works. Some dumb HD hub map that I will most likely split into multiple levels because IDCLEV is king for this mod. If someone else has built maps for this mod we could put them together into some cute little release.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I can't find anything in the code that would cause such a thing to happen. When it does, how many shells are loaded?

I'd rather keep movement physics consistent in Homely that are not a direct consequence of the damage and injury system (or the player's response to the mitigation of said system), as it's intended to be a "casual" or "training" mode that otherwise remains consistent with normal gameplay, so my inclination is either to keep the corpse-slowdown or ditch it.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

If you can't move corpses out of the way in a more timely manner than slowly kicking them around, ditch it. I've got enough shit to worry about in this mod, tripping over corpses while I'm trying to make my escape from some eldritch abomination is just too much. :?
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

While the stair and corpse effects are neat, my only concern is that it might make reaching timed doors harder than necessary. I do, however, like the idea of tripping up on a pile of corpses just so much that you end up getting caught in a crusher.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”