Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Triple S

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated May 12, 2014]

Post by Triple S »

Slax wrote:Conversion kit for the pistol, maybe? Stock, grip and barrel improvements. Also, full auto. BRRRRRAP!
I had considered that, but it'd need an extended mag too.

Thing is, personally, I'd rather not replace the pistol at any point, and I feel like a lot of other players might feel the same. Having a pistol is amazing for emergencies because of how quick it is to pull out and fire, along with the speedy reload (or change to a second loaded pistol). I'd have a hard time dropping that safety net.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

You wouldn't need to replace it. Use the kit once and you replace your current pistol. Pick up another handgun and you've got both weapons. Buuuut, I guess stopping power is key with the PDW so .45 would be more suitable than a billion 9mm rounds hitting the roof.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Pretty much. And yeah, I meant in terms of replacing your current pistol, not replacing the entire weapon. Dunno why but it seems a lot of times it takes me a while to find a second pistol.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Hmm. Well, you'd still be able to use it as a regular pistol. May slow you down some in terms of target acquisition but you'd have a more stable and reliable firing platform once you start blasting. A 3-round burst option would actually make a whole lot more sense than full auto...

Mumble grumble. Need morning coffee. Can't stop mixing ideas and discussions. :P

Fairly long barrel in a compact package. Don't mind the fugly design.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

At that point it'd start serving a different purpose. I like the idea of upgrading the pistol, though... just, maybe not for this. Of course it all comes down to implementation. Could end up working a lot better than my thought process, especially since I really should be asleep right now.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Slax wrote:You wouldn't need to replace it. Use the kit once and you replace your current pistol. Pick up another handgun and you've got both weapons. Buuuut, I guess stopping power is key with the PDW so .45 would be more suitable than a billion 9mm rounds hitting the roof.
If I remember right the manual said the pistol fires 9mm (winchester?) magnum. But I fire a 40 and a 45 cal pretty often, and if Doomguy was firing that while he was on the move, his aim would be going all over the place.
Triple S wrote:...in fact, it has the same accuracy and recoil regardless of if you're standing still or moving/turning.
Eh...have the recoil nearly as good as stationary while you're moving, yeah. Maybe no noticeable recoil difference when you're crouching or standing would be more suitable.

Also, on a different subject, what if the weapon crosshairs we're toggle-able for when you need them? I mean, if we look at the way Doomguy holds his weapons in-game, it doesn't look like he's utilizing sights correctly at all. And when you put on a pair of lite amps, your crosshair goes away. I find this to be both good and bad; at closer ranges, the iron-hairs serve only as a visual distraction (some weapons particularly, like the rifles), while there are times where I shy from any long range fighting while wearing them. If the weapon zoom key functioned like the fire mode key (off, crosshairs, scope) I would definitely see it allow for clearer fighting around in the dark and/or at medium ranges. Right now I've got my zoom key ghetto bounded to toggle crosshairs on and off to get a slightly similar effect.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

If you look at yourself with the chasecam, though, you'll see that for exactly that reason your sprites have been changed. HDGuy holds his All-In-One Rifle up to his visor as if he's actually aiming it.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Just did a quick check now.

As far as I can tell, in descending order of ease of recoil control, while shooting from a supported position and not moving about:

SMG
Liberator
Vulcanette
ZM66

Seems so far to hold true if I'm shooting on the move as well.

EDIT: but thinking about the weapons themselves:

SMG: light weapon 0, light round 0 = 0
Lib: heavy weapon -1, very heavy round +2 = +1
Vulc: very heavy weapon -2, heavy round +1 = -1 (!)
ZM66: light weapon 0, heavy round +1 = +1

this abstraction predicts that the order should be Vulc > SMG > Lib = ZM66.
However:
1. The 4mm and 7mm are not as different from each other in power as the Lib is from the ZM66 in weight.
2. The 4mm and 7mm are not as different from each other in power as the 9mm is from the 4mm in power.
3. Both 4mm weapons are more random in their recoil.

so it's more like (cased rounds get a -4 bonus):

SMG: light weapon -20, light round 6 = -14
Vulc: very heavy weapon -30, heavy round 20 = -10
Lib: heavy weapon -25, very heavy round 21 = -4
ZM66: light weapon -20, heavy round 20 = +0

giving the '66 the worst felt recoil of all four weapons.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

SMG could do with some bullet drop/spread after a certain distance. Just to balance the thing some more.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Slax wrote:SMG could do with some bullet drop/spread after a certain distance. Just to balance the thing some more.
So like the shotgun, then? Yeah, that would make sense.

...Vaecrius would probably need to do the same with the pistol, in that case.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Tracer ammo with a definite advantage? ;)
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Bullet drop and tumble were done long ago. Doom rarely involves engagement ranges where it's noticeable though, if you're not specifically looking for it.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Neat. BRB, gotta keep chugging through HD Doom2 :P
Matt

Post by Matt »

I think I remember the other reason why I've been so reluctant to add an SMG until now.

SO. MANY. CASINGS.

EVERYWHERE.

Tempted to make litter disappear again like it did before the June 18, 2012 update.

(also I had to make a new monster just accommodate the change in the ammo balance - this week's update is growing in the telling here)
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Make it spit those casings extra far for maximum clinky clanky action.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”