Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.1.0.666]

Post by Matt »

Since these memory errors seem to be outside the scope of what I can do in HD, here is a new release!

Changes:
  • Grenade tripwire traps! To use, select the hand grenades and tap Zoom. Point to where you want to plant the end of the line, click to place, then point and click again to plant the grenade.
  • Walking is more useful! You move slower, but your sights are consistently up.
  • New HUD!
  • New crosshairs! Scopes are now totally done in ZScript, and are placed in addition to and relative to your irons/dots in the middle of your screen instead of taking their place.
  • New lite-amp and radsuit effects!
  • Overhauled how the radsuit works. It is now destroyed by heat and lava only by constant, intense exposure, rather than just randomly at each moment of exposure.
  • Numerous overdue fixes to player damage (including that thing where you would bleed if hit witharmour and not without).
  • Soul sphere now gives much more blue magic.
  • Wider range of zoom options on all rifles.
  • Chainsaw is now much smaller and more useful.
  • Fists and grenade are now affected by your turning input, giving you more power generation options.
  • Ricochets are back!
  • Launched grenades are now much faster and don't gib people as often.
  • Scriptified the babuin latching function. Easier to shake off (or at least squash and scrape off) and more consistently placed while latched.
  • ID(K)FA no longer gives certain items that have no application to HD, while giving a few others that do, and respects existing fire mode settings on any auto-pistol you already have.
  • Give cheat now accepts "wound", "stun", "zerk", "fatigue" and a few other internal statuses. Plus "fire".
  • Bigger enemy corpses no longer replay their entire death animation when they take enough damage that would have gibbed smaller corpses.
  • You can now climb tall objects even while holding your forward key down.
  • Crouching now affects and is affected by fatigue.
  • New ZScript version of elimination mode! Which means:
    • New spectator mode when wiped out! This completely replaces the old sit-there-with-a-black-screen mode, which was only like that because I had no way to prevent spectators from opening doors or doing other things to intervene directly.
    • What fraglimit means is now harmonized: all numbers 100+ imply elimination mode. (It used to be that <100 was elimination for DM and deathlimit for co-op.)
    • 100 fraglimit itself is now also an elimination mode, for an authentic YOLO experience.
    • Hopefully should fix some counting errors that I could not resolve in ACS.
    • Teleport fog only where it makes sense.
  • For weapon balancing purposes, when you die in deathmatch you now always drop your current weapon. Because there's nothing like killing a BFG-spawner, then killing them again with their own grief gun.
  • Lots of little bugfixes and under-the-hood things to make things (hopefully) smoother and/or more sensible.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Code: Select all

28 files changed, 367 insertions(+), 620 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 zscript/playerdroppings.txt
zscript/playerdroppings.txt

playerdroppings.txt

8-)
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Hate to pile on feature requests when you're probably overwhelmed just from fixing bugs...

How feasible would it be to do some kind of inertia-based movement for the enemies? I've noticed my biggest frustration with shooting certain faster enemies (namely anything based on Pinkies) is their tendency to move in jerking, highly-unpredictable fashions that make no physical sense. With smaller babuins this is even more frustrating because they're so small in the first place.

8-)
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

I feel like that's a feature at this rate. The enemy's job is not to move in a highly predictable fashion so you can plug them with bullets. Their job is to try and be unpredictable so it's harder to shoot them dead.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I've actually been working on that on and off all year. It's just that:

1. All the player and weapon stuff stood for much more immediate and urgent repair and improvement
2. All the player and weapon stuff was a lot easier to get right
3. Every time I work on the monster chase stuff I want to start adding flanking and other behaviours beyond the usual beeline to target, and that tends to open up several cans of worms all over the place
4. It looks kinda stupid for only the imps but not the zombies to have the new movement, or only some of the zombies, so I've got to do all of them at once or work on it only during a time when no one's expecting anything remotely stable anytime soon

so progress has been slow and completely scrapped and redone on at least two occasions.

If you want to take a look at what I've done so far, summon a "dimp" (short for doomimp obvs) or an "exzo" (experimental zombie) which will have the customized, velocitized chase behaviour. [EDIT: That might be up for a major overhaul though :shock: ]

(I should note, though, that the spiderdemon, cyberdemon, flyers, barrels and DERP have had actual velocity in their movement for years... as well as zombies only while they're fleeing from grenades and cover fire... come to think of it maybe adding this stuff in piecemeal wouldn't look quite that bad)
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

The new version has wounds stacking pretty fast, I have plenty of evidence from a really fun stream that I did.
I had to use second flesh nearly every time i took a fireball, but when I got around to using berserk it was several orders of magnitude more potent than before.

These excessive wound gains dropped off when I took hits in coop, but the downside was that stuttering in co-op is still there. Tested with me and sledge.

Other than that not a bad release. All the behaviors are solid, minus a possible bug that lets you load an inaccessible rocket into a ZM with no launcher. Looking forward to the possible changes for monster movement and inertia.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Got a crash while pickup up items, visible at the end of this video.

Code: Select all

Picked up an IED kit.
Picked up an IED kit.
Picked up an IED kit.
Picked up an IED kit.
Picked up an IED kit.
VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from userpickerupper.StateFunction.1 at :zscript/pickup.txt, line 50
Called from state userpickerupper.2 in userpickerupper
]dammit
Unknown command "dammit"
]quit
Pulled from today's latest git at commit aca0d4fdbb0dbdd91749321a46fc0f780f80d11c.

8-)
Azba

Post by Azba »

I just got a crash in the middle of a good run in Joy of Mapping:

This happened when I blasted a derp with the shotgun. Crash only happened after the derp hit the ground after being popped up in the air.
I'm on the latest (stable) release of HD, GZDoom g3.2pre-399-g04be9fe.

EDIT: turns out it was just getting close to the derp that did it. I also think I might not have the lastest release, so I'm going to redownload and try again.
EDIT2: Yep looks like I had the last version, derp didn't cause a crash in 3.1.0.666
Matt

Post by Matt »

I suspect it's got to do with the rogue DERPs not spawned by players.

Looking at that code I really don't see why it would not crash on the latest release. It's a problem I'd already written a safety to get around, but that particular line just wasn't updated to use it.

I'll fix that as soon as I get home. Might be time for a bugfix release between this and that silly thing where zerk withdrawal makes you so depressed you can leap small buildings with a single bound...
Azba

Post by Azba »

Yeah guess it ended up being a fluke, I crashed again on a different level when derps either got too close or started trying to fire at me.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.1.0.667]

Post by Matt »

Both nullpointers should be fixed in this new upate.
  • Bugfixes:
    • Null pointer on enemy DERP when it fails its LOF check due to intervening actors.
    • Null pointer with certain rapid-succession attempts at picking up objects.
    • Zerk withdrawal was treated as zerk high when calculating jump strength.
    • It was possible to grab the chainsaw on the range from the other side of the barrier. Not from standing on top of the barrier, but standing on the floor on the other side.
    • Various other minor fixes that should not be noticeable to the player.
  • Scriptified plasma and BFG.
  • Changed plasma functions:
    • Altfire now activates a range finder.
    • Fire mode now toggles regular and hack.
    • Maximum primary fire range halved. Past this new maximum the beam is very weak and unreliable.
    • Zoom view is now secondary and always on. Like a BOSS
  • Vulcanette now uses a similar optic to the ZM66, but bossier.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

So I don't know if this has ever been brought up at all but the way HidDes does its keys seems to break scripts/actions that trigger when the key is picked up. While this isn't a problem, like, 99.9% of the time, there's a few maps where rather than having walk-over lines trigger ambushes, it simply appends actions/scripts to the key itself, which don't trigger when you pick up HidDes' particular style of keys.
Matt

Post by Matt »

What's a good map to test this on? I've never been able to check this properly and it should be easy enough to fix.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Vaecrius wrote:What's a good map to test this on? I've never been able to check this properly and it should be easy enough to fix.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/pdm73fa99 ... ar_low.zip This map. It's actually kind of a neat map for HidDes overall, the opposition isn't completely insurmountable on Grotesque and I think it'd be playable on Hideous, too. The use of Doom 3 textures, dynamic lighting, and realistic architecture makes for a cool romp. The only issue is the key thingy, which isn't gamebreaking until you get to the red skull in the second map, but you can test this as early as the blue keycard in the first map, which is supposed to spawn a pain elemental, a bunch of imps, and an arachnotron just outside the door after you pick it up(the arachnotron appears immediately and silently, while the others spawn in with teleport fog after a short delay; quite the set-up since the wide spider blocks the door up something fierce). For reference I was using the stable versions of both GZDoom and HidDes, if that would change anything.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”