Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Serathis

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.5.1]

Post by Serathis »

I think one type of death exist is sliding into an exit trigger after getting killed by rocket splash damage. The trigger is in a spot so small that only dead bodies can move into it. At least thats how they work in Deus Vult 2.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Hey Matt, just going through a playthrough of the latest commit.
Picked up a megasphere and it seems my character is now completely invincible. Health won't go below 7 and nothing seems to be able to kill me, not fire, gunshots, kill in console etc.

Aside from that, everything seems to be completely stable, no further issues so far. *Knocks on wood*
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

That's the new spiritual armour... you're basically in "improved buddha" mode until it's all worn out... might be a little OP, lol.

I'll tweak it again before the next release.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Matt wrote:That's the new spiritual armour... you're basically in "improved buddha" mode until it's all worn out... might be a little OP, lol.

Oh? Is that why, when I grabbed a helmet on my ceramic armor last time I played, I survived several hits that really ought to have killed me?

lol I hope you don't nerf it too hard, I deeply appreciated the life-saver xD

EDIT: What do you think about the idea of a semi-rare item that could be used to repair armor durability? Kind of like the armor shards from your Quake or what have you, to temporarily patch an armor up? Maybe with an increased chance of the armor going to shit faster in the future?....
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I start thinking about the bulk of the sewing machine required for that.

Then the feasibility of using said sewing machine as a weapon while berserk.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Matt wrote:That's the new spiritual armour... you're basically in "improved buddha" mode until it's all worn out... might be a little OP, lol.

Not bad, but I figured catching Plasma rounds from the cyberdemon a little OP. Not bad for singleplayer slaughtermap hunting though.

Mayhaps make a damage limit to some extreme damages leaking through, like falling off of great heights and catching a live grenade with the face.

Excuse my english but I just woke up.
Matt wrote:I start thinking about the bulk of the sewing machine required for that.

What about the megasphere? If the soulsphere is the equivalent of regenerating the body and mind by the souls of the damned, perhaps the megasphere can be a collection of warrior souls that restore you to your previously unforgiving, unyielding state?

Addition:
I've noticed that some weapons, while holding unload, slows down the unloading process and pockets expended magazines (like the vulcanette), can this be made consistently around all weapons? If you don't hold unload, you drop what is unloaded, if you hold it down, you pocket what is unloaded. Pressing reload could cancel the unloading process.
Same for reloading, there's no delay between stopping reloading and continuing it again if you reload cancel. This is easily observable with the vulcanette, there's only a small timeframe between stopping the reload process and reinitialising it, which makes it hard to time, at least on my end. Is this something worth tweaking?

Addition 2:

Just had 4 or 5 mancubi catching fire and my game froze to a slide show. I'm guessing it's the amount of piled up fire particles lighting all corpses on fire multiple times. Perhaps a good performance fix would be to cull these -specific- smoke particles (as to not break any existing smoke particles on the map) so not too many spawn at the same time?

Addition 3:

I feel like the brass from 7.76 rounds is ejecting a little too far, or the bounce factor is too high, especially considering how the liberator ejects it's rounds. They usually go flying across a room in a funny yet slightly annoying manner.

Addition 4:

As I've been playing this mod for quite a while now, playing an entire campaign, there's one thing I really miss, a handgun upgrade.
If I get pushed into a corner and all of my weapons are out of rounds, I pull out my trusty handgun, or swap to my slayer for a doubleshot, but I wouldn't mind seeing a more high power variant. (Aside from the full auto). Thoughts?
Last edited by DavidWolfe on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silentdarkness12

Matt wrote:I start thinking about the bulk of the sewing machine required for that.

Then the feasibility of using said sewing machine as a weapon while berserk.
Sewing? Lel. Who said anything about sewing? I imagine some high-strength adhesive to stick it on. Or maybe simply nailing it on.

EDIT: In further news, I have resumed recording HD.

And I am now fully convinced that Security Armor is utterly, UTTERLY useless in it's current form. I am not kidding when I say that every, EVERY single time I took a hit, it went clean through and made me bleed. The only exceptions being fireballs and melee. Is that intentional? Because I feel like i'd literally be much better off ignoring the green armors entirely. It'd make me more nimble on my feet at any rate....
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

From what I can tell, the security armor is intended to mimic a kevlar police vest, which is indeed mostly useless for stopping anything besides pistol rounds (maaaaybe shotgun pellets?). Since most gun-toting enemies have rifles, it's not surprising those rounds punch right through. It generally absorbs enough damage to keep you alive after a single hit though, which is why I still wear it when I have nothing else.

The other armors seem to be more like military armor, which contains steel/ceramic plates and can protect against rifle rounds. However, ceramic plates in particular are mostly useless after a single hit. Of course, both are much heavier and less mobile than kevlar.

8-)
Last edited by Caligari87 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silentdarkness12

Caligari87 wrote:From what I can tell, the security armor is intended to mimic a kevlar police vest, which is indeed mostly useless for stopping anything besides pistol rounds (maaaaybe shotgun pellets?). Since most gun-toting enemies have rifles, it's not surprising those rounds punch right through.

The other armors seem to be more like military armor, which contains steel/ceramic plates and can protect against rifle rounds. However, ceramic plates in particular are mostly useless after a single hit. Of course, both are much heavier and less mobile than kevlar.

8-)
That's a no on shotgun pellets, too.

My question then is: "Why bother with security armor in the first place?"
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Interesting. I think then perhaps it should be buffed to stop shotgun pellets too, at least at anything besides point-blank range. Would still hurt like hell, but at least shouldn't bleed in most circumstances.

8-)
Silentdarkness12

Also I would heavily argue against ceramic armor being good until it takes a single hit. The last time i used it, the plates lasted quite a fair amount of hits, and kept protecting me from bleed. It saved my ass multiple times.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I should have clarified: A single ceramic plate shatters when hit, and so is no longer good. However, most vests have many such plates and I assume HD models the same. Not sure of the underlying mechanics as-is, but if it were me I'd make subsequent hits have an ever-increasing random chance of penetrating an already-compromised plate instead of being stopped by a good one.

Also, that brings to mind an idea for armor repair mechanics: Most military vests have replaceable plates, so for steel or ceramic armor you could cannibalize good plates from damaged vests. Of course, it wouldn't work for kevlar.

8-)
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Caligari87 wrote:Interesting. I think then perhaps it should be buffed to stop shotgun pellets too, at least at anything besides point-blank range. Would still hurt like hell, but at least shouldn't bleed in most circumstances.

8-)

I mean, I've been posting this for quite a while, but... armour doesn't follow regular class systems in HD logic according to Matt.
Silentdarkness12

I'm hoping this is an oversight on Matt's part, because honestly....when I have to choose between Security Armor and just going naked, i'm going to go naked, so I have maximum maneouverability. I mean, either way, the end result of taking a hit is me having to break out the stapler.
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

Any armor is good for getting fire off of you. If there's no water around, it's the only reliable way to put yourself out. I always replace security armor once I find heavier stuff, but going naked is suicidal.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”