Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Abba Zabba

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated September 29, 2014

Post by Abba Zabba »

Don't remember if I said it or not but the super shotgun is now perfect. Cacos and sometimes Hell Knights now go down in two clean hits. The bit of extra oomph you get when both barrels are fired simultaneously works much better now, it used to be a hit or miss of whether or not it would register both barrels at once or individually with fractions of a second apart (causing massive recoil that makes the second shot usually miss, along with less power.)

Another reason to remove falling animations:
Spoiler: Lamp impalement
I know that a corpse laying flat on it's back isn't much better, but it makes more sense than blood particles that defy gravity. The imp in the second pic would sometimes be raised up and changed frames again due to other imps pushing it up from underneath, too.

I also dicked around with the normal, statusbar replacing HUD to clean it up a bit and make it more concise.
Attachments
sbarinfo.txt
Light gray numbers show loose ammo/alternate ammo, gold replaces the red numbers that showed ammo your current weapon could use but it's set up for another gun. Also cleaned up some weapon mode indicators.
(15.39 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Derek Larp

Post by Derek Larp »

There is no sound when firing the Brontornis or whatsitcalled in the latest release.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Bug: The chainsaw uses no power at all when you keep on the throttle. Should probably be used twice as fast?

I noticed that empty mags (pistol, smg, both rifles, chaingun) always face one way. You should add some x axis mirroring to them so they look varied like the casings.
Attachments
sbarinfo.txt
Updated HUD with loose cell ammo counters added to the chainsaw and BFG. Only thing not shown are loose zm66 rounds since they're more or less useless during a level.
(15.57 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated October 6, 2014]

Post by Matt »

Looks slick, though it also includes changes I've specifically refused to implement, so it's not in this NEW UPDATE!

What I did change:
  • Bugfix: Turns out the "slayer double" sound was being used - by the Brontornis. Bronto now uses other existing sounds.
  • Bugfix: Chainsaw used no ammo when you were holding down attack but not hitting anything.
  • Made idle chainsaw use slightly less ammo on average.
  • Added Hemo's final Liberator sprites, including pickup.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

What changes would those be? I'm thinking of ditching the ammo bar entirely and giving that a number too here soon.

EDIT: Or better yet, add a number count below the bar, so you have the quick glance benefits of a bar, with the solid, accurate count of numbers.
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

Hey, when I'm using the chainsaw and I wind up sawing the ground, I occasionally get the screen flickering like I took damage. This is intentional and replicates saw kickback, right?
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Lava Grunt wrote:What changes would those be? I'm thinking of ditching the ammo bar entirely and giving that a number too here soon.

EDIT: Or better yet, add a number count below the bar, so you have the quick glance benefits of a bar, with the solid, accurate count of numbers.
I think it's probably the numbers. The idea is most likely that in the heat of combat it's extremely unlikely that you'd know exactly how many bullets are in each of your guns, hence represented by bars, instead.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I sort of get that, but it's kind of made moot by the fact that anything not in his gun he can remember to a t.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

To be fair, it's a lot easier to remember how many mags you're carrying than exactly how many bullets are in that particular magazine. Depending on the mechanism and build of the magazine, you might be able to tell exactly how many rounds are in there, but it's much easier to see a more vague gauge like 40% of the mag being left, easily comparable to an ammo bar.

Mind you, I'm not arguing here. As a matter of fact, I absolutely hate that one custom HUD that doesn't have any numbers by default. But here, it's more for the sake of relative realism that I think it's acceptable.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

How much goes into a mag isn't displayed, you just learn it over time. Remembering 0-6 mags is one thing, but knowing exactly how many shells he has in his pockets kind of stretches this idea. Side saddles makes sense though.

Really weird glitch with cacos; it seems that when they're killed while resting above something (in this case monsters, probably the case with decorations too) their corpse turns into a weird floaty object that bobs up down like you do when you're playing default doom and are flying while stationary. The corpses defy gravity too for some reason. Also got some corpses that had a separate glitch, where the bodies flung as far as kicking a dead zombie while hopped up on berserk.
Attachments
sbarinfo.txt
More tweaked shit
(15.63 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Obviously Hideous Destructor needs to just force us to slide the mag out of the weapon and look it over ourselves to see about how many rounds are left. Also needs an inventory filled with separate magazines. Or maybe it shouldn't be a complete rip-off of Receiver, but I, for one, would not mind it at all if it had that level of detail.
Derek Larp

Post by Derek Larp »

Well I put the ammo bar into the 'hidden' part of the HUD so you have to stop and press use to see how much ammo is left. It's fun when you suddenly run out and have to quickdraw your pistol to keep firing or with the shotgun when you're sometimes not sure if the gun is empty or you just short-chucked it.

BUT I also added a numeric ammo counter to the ZM66 and upped the cyclic rate to make it more like the M41a pulse rilfe. ;)

SMG is also lots of fun with a higher rate of fire. :D
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

SidDoyle wrote:Obviously Hideous Destructor needs to just force us to slide the mag out of the weapon and look it over ourselves to see about how many rounds are left. Also needs an inventory filled with separate magazines. Or maybe it shouldn't be a complete rip-off of Receiver, but I, for one, would not mind it at all if it had that level of detail.
Would be sort of difficult with the caseless weapons, wouldn't it? Though, it could take longer to count them, or at least have a guesstimate.

It can be just simple text, so instead of having to do major sprite work, it'd just say "there are approximately [x] bullets left in your magazine".
Lava Grunt wrote:Also got some corpses that had a separate glitch, where the bodies flung as far as kicking a dead zombie while hopped up on berserk.
Saw this happen, but I'll need to nab a screenshot at some point.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Y'know, now that I've got a friend I can commission for sprites and a paycheque coming up next week, the thought of doing anything involving new sprites seems much less daunting.

That said, ammo representation, which I've considered changing for a while now, is something I'm going to let stew in my head for a while before I commit to any course of action. All comments here will be considered.

(One very specific change I've got in mind: add exact number readings to the ZM66 mags. There's got to be some mechanism that prevents used ones from being reloaded into a gun, which might well be computer-based - and that same mechanism may be adapted and sold as a convenient essential feature.)
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

I'd say something like Trespasser's way of ammo indication (mag feels full, mag feels half-empty, approximately [x] rounds left in this mag for things like the pistol) communicated via text... but if we wanna go the OPERATORS OPERATING IN THE 22ND CENTURY, Aliens/Halo style readouts should be cool.

Receiver-style mag checks and loads can be cool, but that would probably crank up the filesize.

I still need to go hack at the helmet HUD, and maybe turn the Slayer into a massive-caliber double-rifle that makes the .700NE feel like a weak peashooter and knocks the player back, a la this.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”