Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Serathis

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.5]

Post by Serathis »

A supercharge set me on fire. Is that normal? Also the supercharge is no longer in the manual?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Supercharge no longer being in the manual is a symptom of me forgetting to check that thing often. [EDIT: and also none of the instant-use spheres having entries in the manual in the first place since for the most part they behave equivalently to vanilla.]

Being set on fire by it is not normal, but not necessarily a bug either. Did you use any particularly unholy magic during that run?
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

Maybe another precious little sphere might have gotten jelous *cough*
Cause that one also sets me on fire when I try to use it.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

I'd honestly prefer the current setup of backpack, being able to scroll up and down, possibly swapping automatic and semi automatic scrolling, or at least slow down the automatic scrolling slightly.

I'm also curious, any chance of putting guns in the backpack? I'd love to stow guns inside, but this doesn't seem to be an option. Odd because backpacks held guns in the past, like smgs and brontos, but now they don't. I think it would be handy putting a vulcanette inside / strap it to the outside.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

It was originally planned, but the actual bookkeeping for multiple guns of multiple kinds, without any particular (and arbitrary) limit, would involve database management far beyond what I know how to do (or at least how to manage). It's not dissimilar to managing unique mags/cells with different ammo amounts, and both will have places close to each other at the bottom of the to-do-or-at-least-not-rule-out list.
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

HELLO ALL YOU PEOPLE, IT'S BEEN SO VERY LONG.

I have done much catching up so to make a long story short the new gun changes please me, the new monster changes please me, but nothing compares to the majesty of the new backpack system and the majestic glory of the almighty ladder.

PRAISE THE LADDER.
Last edited by Bigger C on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

I've been playing this mod for a long time but only registered an account to drop in a few bugs:

The Pistol and SMG coding for cannibalizing magazines are completely different to each other, it's bad coding habit.
If you max out your 9mm rounds and open up an SMG magazine, the remaining ammo dissapears.

When you wear the blursphere, babuins will casually dissapear when they try to lock on to an enemy to bite.

Code: Select all

>>> Received AL error invalid value (0xa003), OALSound.cpp:2070
2070 can also be 1827.

Similarly, picking up items with the blursphere on will sometimes crash with the following:

VM Execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from HDUPK.StateFunction.0 AT (zipfile).zip:zscript/pickup.txt, line 226
Called from state HDUpk.1 in (itemname)
^ Same when dropping sometimes.
Last edited by DavidWolfe on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

I was gonna mention, it does look like Blursphere sets you on fire if you have Supercharge. Which I have. Because Doom 64 was apparently really liberal with those Supercharges.
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

I think the blursphere is sort of tsundere about you cheating with the supercharge. Cause once I used the blurshpere, a supercharge set me on fire. Then when I tried to use the blursphere after, it also set me on fire.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Also, as to the backpack, some of the items weigh more in the backpack than out of the backpack (most notably the seven mil brass) which is a bit of a bother.
Might want to double check that.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

So, I've played this mod since pretty much it's conception. All I can say right now is that it's on the right level of tactical/realism vs gameplay.

It's no longer excessively hard (playing on grimdark) and it works well in COOP (haven't checked desync issues in the latest github release yet, will do that as soon as I find someone crazy enough to work with me).

However, in it's conception this mod was pretty much hardcore and unforgiving, while right now I'd say it's a walk in the park in comparison to it's original release.

Also, the blursphere is very overpowered
Spoiler:
and allows you to just stroll around.
Spoiler:
Matt

Post by Matt »

DavidWolfe wrote:Similarly, picking up items with the blursphere on will sometimes crash with the following:

VM Execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from HDUPK.StateFunction.0 AT (zipfile).zip:zscript/pickup.txt, line 226
Called from state HDUpk.1 in (itemname)
^ Same when dropping sometimes.
Can you tell me exactly which ones? Please never sanitize error messages like this as someone will be in a better position to fix all of the instances with one specific testable instance than just "some".

EDIT: I found at least the deployed *ERPs, which makes sense since the blursphere filters for +ismonster.
EDIT: I think I've found a general solution to this, so I'm going to stop looking...

Good catch on all of these, though. Finally gave me the impetus to put in the manual mag manager in place of this passive regeneration silliness.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Matt wrote:Finally gave me the impetus to put in the manual mag manager in place of this passive regeneration silliness.
Ah, so I can get rid of mine x'3 At least I'll have something to do rather than roll cigarettes and wait for the thing to load.

Another bug:
When the pump action shotgun has a spent round but a full tube/magazine and you press reload, it will eject the empty shell, but then refuse to refill the side saddles or load the chambre.

Now all I request is the powercell and 7mil ammo reloader to be expanded. Having to trudge through a 2 hour level only to recover 15 rounds and no cells while carrying 60 of everything (basically) makes it no use to carry such an amazing rifle and gives me little incent to recover brass/rounds/empty cells.

Also, may it be possible to revert the first person weapon sprite of the liberator back to what it was? It looks very bland and doesn't stand out from the other rifle at all. I know the mod is called 'hideous destructor' and not 'Muh aesthetics mod', but I was hoping it'd be more of a Kalashnikov type of counter counterpart and be radically different, and not just a palette swap kind of dealio, and the previous artwork felt like it worked.

Alternatively, for the ladder, it seems to go on forever when going up to down, but very limited in use when going down to up. Thankfully I can now traverse the Crusher without falling to my death, but some jumps have been made impossible by the new movement system (crusher does come to mind)

The horizontal bridge idea posted earlier would work, but some gaps are on a diagonal to eachother or on different 'levels', how would that work?

Oh, also, I noticed sometimes the ladder will ignore edges/ledges and go straight through the ' wall' so to speak (testable on Map 01 by the exterior window), and when detached will get stuck up there. Obviously you're not meant to go through some ledges, but I imagine this can screw up some long gameplay runs when the player doesn't pack a spare ladder. Nothing major really, just something to think about.

As for the backpack:
Why not add a difference between bulk and mass? E.g. carryweight distribution could be used to cut the mass in half/a quarter or something, but in comparison to the green armour, a bolt is only a fraction of it's size while being incredibly heavy. Why not limit the stuff you can put into the backpack by it's actual size rather than it's weight, and let the player find a way to deal with lugging it around? Potentially even carry the backpack around as a temporary, plantable, interactive storage, while carrying an ammo pouch on their carrier to store and manage extra magazines & ammunition? Perhaps this goes against the concept of the mod, but it'd make carrying stuff from one level to the other a hell of a lot easier. (Seriously, I store all my shit at the start of the level, then take about an hour carrying it from one end to the other. I don't have a life.)

Good to see you're still working on this as always, and I hope it'll stay around forever, still my favourite ' simulator ' since NSquad.

Edit (Post addition):
Also, would it be possible to lower the player's weapon when they pull out a weapon while too close to an object/wall/floor? Sometimes I get stuck aiming down/up/sideways ad infinitum and that gets me killed, while physically in reality I would simply just not be able to draw my weapon (e.g. stuck in a wall).
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

For some reason, while using an environment suit in a pool of nukage, I continued to take damage and the radsuit eventually was destroyed. Do some radsuits spawn damaged?
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

dawnbreez wrote:For some reason, while using an environment suit in a pool of nukage, I continued to take damage and the radsuit eventually was destroyed. Do some radsuits spawn damaged?
I believe it's either because the pool is using a damage type that the script isn't blocking, or no damage type was assigned at all maybe? But it's good that you mentioned this because I totally forgot to report it.

A good place to test this is in Map03 (?) of the Hell on Earth Starter Map Pack's Nukage, or the later nuclear reactor section.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”