Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.3.3d

Post by Matt »

bendix-hyde wrote:Just started playing again after about a while and after a little bit of rust, managed to get back into the swing of things. Man, being able to repair HERPs and DERPs during a level is pretty refreshing.

One thing I've been having a little bit of trouble with though are the IEDs. I'm going through all of Doom 1 as a way to shake off some dust and I try to set one or four up to clear out some monster closets, but sometimes they either work or they explode a short while later after leaving or after chucking one right in front of a wall that I know hides some baddies. Is it because they are still detecting the monsters behind the wall? They never really seemed to do that on past versions. I'm also not sure if a dead body next to them is also setting them off whenever I toss one at a regular wall, but next to a fully dead enemy corpse.
Looking at the code my guess would be the corpse false positives, but I'm not sure if this added health check has actually fixed it...
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

Is it just me or is the Revolver...kinda pointless? The Pistol has a higher fire cap, higher mag, reloads much faster and functions generally better as THE 9mm, I don't even know too much about .355 ammo, but It doesn't seem much different performance wise from 9mm.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

No, you're right. As far as I can tell, Matt mostly added it to appease the constant stream of "but we need a revolver!!!" from the players.

There are a couple (very) minor benefits. The heavier and faster .355 ammo causes slightly more shield/health damage and bleeding (though usually not enough to affect enemy HP breakpoints as you've noticed), and the revolver can be used at direct contact range, whereas the semi-auto pistol can be pushed out of battery and fail to fire if you're trying to shoot an enemy that's touching your hitbox (like Ninja Pirates)

Other than that, it's mainly for roleplay, themed loadouts, or challenge runs.

8-)
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I think those were the exact arguments I made against adding a revolver when it was brought up several years before ZScript made it a lot less cumbersome to add...
XLightningStormL

IMO, something like a .357 (moon clips son, though at that point a 10mm or .45 would probably be a better alternative) or a solo .44 Chambering would probably make the Revolver more worthwhile, especially considering that Revolvers now-a days have been relegated to higher power/pressure rounds, since they've been essentially replaced by pistols except reliability and sheer fire power.

Would PROBABLY work out better world-building wise too, the Slayer is a pretty odd choice to keep (though it WAS in the OG Doom 2), but inevitably anywhere with contracted security guards/corporate mercs you're gonna fine those with more money that buy hand cannon show-pieces to scare civilians (sort of the same aesthetic philosophy why the ZM66 would replace the Liberator: Scary Black Rifle status)

EDIT:
Now that HD 4.3.3 (seems) to have granted the SMG it's own sound definition, I went ahead and made an add-on...of an add-on to Caligari87's Suppressed SMG, more or less making it sound like a suppressed weapon (albeit too quiet for HD, but ok)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8bi2g4bpq ... g.wad/file

Source should be Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, but it works :P
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

.355 is a fictional equivalent to .357 and the specs are basically identical in almost every regard (no, that 0.002 won't make a diff, I promise). Incidentally, HD's 9mm is spec'd equivalent to 9mm Magnum, which itself was intended to replicate .357 Magnum.

HDB_355
.335 / 9.017mm diameter
1640 fps muzzle velocity
153 grain projectile

HDB_9
0.354331 / 9mm diameter
1504 fps muzzle velocity
132 grain projectile

9mm Winchester Magnum
0.354331 / 9mm diameter
1,450 fps muzzle velocity
115 grain projectile

.357 Magnum
0.357 / 9.1mm diameter
1,450 fps muzzle velocity
125 or 158 grain projectile typical

8-)
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Had a nice long stroll through nukage the other day. Supercharged of course. Got out, had a bad case of the shakes and then back to normal.
...but what if nukage made you glow in the dark?
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

I have noticed a small inconsistency as I was playing today:
Spoiler:
Edit: Thanks Matt for the fix!
gllfly
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by gllfly »

Finally got over my trepidation to try this mod, and I love it. Only played through kditd so far, this mod makes the classic levels play out so differently! The barons at the end were kinda underwhelming after everything else I'd been through, I just cranked up the chaingun to 700RPM mode and turned them both into mincemeat. Can't wait to run into the cyberdemon next episode
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

gllfly wrote:Can't wait to run into the cyberdemon next episode
Oh my, are you in for a treat.
Better wish for that Bronto to drop. :wink:
bendix-hyde

Post by bendix-hyde »

Jarewill wrote:
gllfly wrote:Can't wait to run into the cyberdemon next episode
Oh my, are you in for a treat.
Better wish for that Bronto to drop. :wink:
Or hope that you have a talisman or two from backpacks. Those things are absolute lifesavers. :shock:
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

It's idea time.
Kegan and me were talking HD and he mentioned that having an energy sidearm would be nice. We came up with... something.
Spoiler: Security job getting you down? Too many rowdy ruffians to handle? Not to worry! Segan & Klax has you covered!
So, a stun gun? Not just any stun gun. The idea is that you can hook it up to a battery in your inventory and cause a lil' lightning storm to shoot out of your target. Lock the trigger, drop the gun and pull out something more lethal while those jackboots are busy doing the electric boogie. Kinda silly. Kinda useful. Kinda funny. Plenty of potential shenanigans. Just don't break the wire.
XLightningStormL

^ Nice, IMO HD does need some "pacifist" and stun-capable weapons that'd even the playing field a lot better.

Another idea, is there any possibility of adding some sort of item to "enable" infinite sprint for a shortwhile? Something like Doom 3's Adrenaline...however more like the Stamina enhancing patches in System Shock (1) where after they wear off, more or less the user becomes heavily fatigued (possibly stunned as well) maybe enhance the user's speed as-well so it's not handwaved as a gimmick item.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

XLightningStormL wrote:^ Nice, IMO HD does need some "pacifist" and stun-capable weapons that'd even the playing field a lot better.

Another idea, is there any possibility of adding some sort of item to "enable" infinite sprint for a shortwhile? Something like Doom 3's Adrenaline...however more like the Stamina enhancing patches in System Shock (1) where after they wear off, more or less the user becomes heavily fatigued (possibly stunned as well) maybe enhance the user's speed as-well so it's not handwaved as a gimmick item.
Literally zerk, but also stims allow some extra stamina. Between that and jetpacks, remotely using derps, among other things, I think "infinite stamina" is probably a bit much?
Matt

Post by Matt »

infinite sprint for a shortwhile
If you just maintain forward momentum without trying to sidestep or stop (and do not do any forward leaps), you can last noticeably longer.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”